Looking for some new powerheads. Vortech vs. Tunze

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,

I've got a ~210g tank (6' long) and I'm looking at potentially upgrading my powerheads. Currently running two Jebao OW-25's (leftovers from my 75g, 185-2245 gph) that run alternating wave patterns on opposite sides of the tank and a Hydor Koralia 3G 1950gph that turns on for high flow from 5PM-10PM.

The flow isn't terrible, but I feel like it's not optimized for my tank size. I'm running the Jebao's at ~50% power. My tank has soft corals and LPS.

I'm also running a GHL profilux 4 on the tank and looking to have more control from the computer. So naturally, I'm looking at Vortechs and Tunze due to their reputation, compatibility with my equipment, and their customization for flow.

Couple questions:
1. What would your recommendation be between Vortech and Tunze? I know the basics of wires out of tank and in tank and moveable heads, but what about flow patterns and reliability?
2. Are the Jebao's adequate for my tank size if I just work more towards increasing flow and adjusting the pattern?
3. Can they be connected into the Profilux 4 with any kind of breakout module?

Thanks in advance!

Brian

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Not really an equitable comparison, as the VorTech wavemakers with the wet side are way pricier. Tunze has been good up until the last year - seeing a lot of people build QC issues.
2. Yes (although I'm not a fan of Jebao).
3. That I don't know, so I'll throw out "maybe".

OP
OP
TehBrainz

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Not really an equitable comparison, as the VorTech wavemakers with the wet side are way pricier. Tunze has been good up until the last year - seeing a lot of people build QC issues.
2. Yes (although I'm not a fan of Jebao).
3. That I don't know, so I'll throw out "maybe".

Yea, the price tag on vortechs definitely are up there. If it's a good investment then I can get behind a high up front cost. What sort of QC issues? Affecting the main function or more cosmetic/small issues?

These Jebao have been good for me for the most part. I think I got lucky after looking over many reviews. They've been running for almost 3 years now and only being removed for routine cleaning. Due for another cleaning soon, actually. That said, I won't be buying new ones.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the Tunze pumps in my tank I have not tried the Vortechs

The Tunze can be hooked up to the Profilux with a special cable.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own all of the pumps you mentioned.
I will not buy any more Tunze Wavemakers. The housings for ones I have are very fragile and hard to deal with. When you place them the mounts come apart and you have to find the little rubber things and reassemble them. Every time you try to move them it happens again. The wavemaker ball comes out of the U shaped holder and twists the wires up.
Very exciting to see.

The Vortechs. I love/hate them. The wet side is the stupidest design I have ever seen. Mine take spells of the covers flying off into the tank.

The Jebaos work until they don't and you buy more. They are what I have been buying recently. They now seem as good as any other wavemaker I can buy.

I dont know anything about GHL compatibility. Sorry.

OP
OP
TehBrainz

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own all of the pumps you mentioned.
I will not buy any more Tunze Wavemakers. The housings for ones I have are very fragile and hard to deal with. When you place them the mounts come apart and you have to find the little rubber things and reassemble them. Every time you try to move them it happens again. The wavemaker ball comes out of the U shaped holder and twists the wires up.
Very exciting to see.

The Vortechs. I love/hate them. The wet side is the stupidest design I have ever seen. Mine take spells of the covers flying off into the tank.

The Jebaos work until they don't and you buy more. They are what I have been buying recently. They now seem as good as any other wavemaker I can buy.

I dont know anything about GHL compatibility. Sorry.
That's funny you see it has a bad design. That's one of their biggest selling points! At least without them commenting on covers flying off, lol. That Tunze event is pretty scary too, I imagine. It's like your ceiling fan dropping down by the cables and staying on full speed!

I just found a good BRS video on wavemakers and their angle/gph in a 4' tank. I think I'm even more confused now than when I started looking into these....Not a bad thing, just a lot more information to digest.

Pump Angle: The Right Powerhead for the Right Flow, Used in the Right Way

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the tunze and the vortechs. The tunzes push more water hands down. There is no comparison. If flow is what you want, get the tunze. They are dependable and last a long time. Also directional. Customer support is good too should you have an issue

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Depends on the aquascape and types of corals.

Gyre pumps work really well for getting flow across the whole tank, even with a complex aquascape. The short pulse is great for getting the LPS moving back and forth.

The Tunze style is nice for strong direct flow, if you want to get flow into a certain area (ex behind an aquascape). Good for SPS, but you have to watch if they end up getting too much direct flow.

Vortechs have a wholistic flow. The output is broad and the draw back into the pump along the glass gives a unique flow. Good balance for both SPS and LPS. Can be costly, but watch the used forum and grab them at a good price.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I use both Tunze and Vortechs.
My MP40's are about 6 years old. I had to replace one wetside after the prop broke ( snail?)
My Tunzes are close to 5 years old. I had a pair of Tunze 6105's that I sold when they were 10 years old and still working.
I guess I would lean towards the Vortechs if I had to make a choice.
As far as jeboas, I use them for mixing saltwater. They never seem to last more than a year.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Descisions, descisions
IMG_4888-L.jpg

3 OW-40s and 4 MP 60s in a 240
Upgrade your flow

Fuzznutz36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had this same issue until I realized I wasn't tightening the cages down all the way. Go to where you think it's on, then snug it from there so that the o-ring can hold it...I have yet to have mine fall off since. Funny, the MP10s don't seem to have that same issue, they lock in a little better with little force.

I also own both...I have a 60g cube tank and put all the pumps on the back wall. I seem to not be able to get good flow in the center with just the Vortechs, so I have a Tunze 6055 set to short pulse hitting across the middle also. I did have MP10s on the sides, but my 1/2" glass was causing the wet sides to fall off in certain modes/when they got dirty. The MP40s are massive in this tank :zany-face:

Oh and agreed on the Tunze blue vibration dampeners...PITA! The "U" bracket does wear out in time too as do the interlocks on the pump cages. I would say I like the Vortech better, but also hate how they aren't directional.

As for gyres, I tried that too and felt they needed to be cleaned a lot more often than the other two mentioned.

herozero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had earlier Vortechs and a “quiet” controller upgrade. I’m a freaky drummer that still has really really good hearing. The Vortechs were just too loud for me, yes properly installed, rotated, etc etc two pumps ran for many years w/o problems.

Got some Tunze 6095s to plug into my Apex and have never looked back. Super quiet, directable flow, narrow/wide flow options, and I program them through my Apex. If you’re comfortable around controller programming, not hard to program.

From what I understand Tunze stock is an issue as an affect of the chip shortage, I believe made on the same semi-conductor manufacturing process as car chip components, so “in-demand” doesn’t do the situation justice. Only downside I’ve found is the DIN cable to rj45 for the Apex connection is not visually ideal, I have to keep the plastics sleeve part slightly removed for complete (admittedly still reliable) connection. I’ve not had issues with mounting or dampeners but I know spares are usually pretty easy to grab (note, just put my Tunzes back in service after two year hiatus, so the dampeners are in really really good shape).

Good luck.

Edit: my Vortechs were easy to program but that was WAY before the Mobius app came to be so I can’t comment on modern day use.

OP
OP
TehBrainz

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the aquascape and types of corals.

Gyre pumps work really well for getting flow across the whole tank, even with a complex aquascape. The short pulse is great for getting the LPS moving back and forth.

The Tunze style is nice for strong direct flow, if you want to get flow into a certain area (ex behind an aquascape). Good for SPS, but you have to watch if they end up getting too much direct flow.

Vortechs have a wholistic flow. The output is broad and the draw back into the pump along the glass gives a unique flow. Good balance for both SPS and LPS. Can be costly, but watch the used forum and grab them at a good price.

Great overview! My aquascape isnt anything crazy and I just have some small LPS and one massive toadstool leather.

20220908_202610.jpg

Descisions, descisions
IMG_4888-L.jpg

3 OW-40s and 4 MP 60s in a 240
Upgrade your flow

Nice!!! What flow settings do you have on all those?

I had this same issue until I realized I wasn't tightening the cages down all the way. Go to where you think it's on, then snug it from there so that the o-ring can hold it...I have yet to have mine fall off since. Funny, the MP10s don't seem to have that same issue, they lock in a little better with little force.

I also own both...I have a 60g cube tank and put all the pumps on the back wall. I seem to not be able to get good flow in the center with just the Vortechs, so I have a Tunze 6055 set to short pulse hitting across the middle also. I did have MP10s on the sides, but my 1/2" glass was causing the wet sides to fall off in certain modes/when they got dirty. The MP40s are massive in this tank :zany-face:

Oh and agreed on the Tunze blue vibration dampeners...PITA! The "U" bracket does wear out in time too as do the interlocks on the pump cages. I would say I like the Vortech better, but also hate how they aren't directional.

As for gyres, I tried that too and felt they needed to be cleaned a lot more often than the other two mentioned.

Good to know about the gyres. I've been interested in the past and really didn't think about it on this post, but still good info!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, the price tag on vortechs definitely are up there. If it's a good investment then I can get behind a high up front cost. What sort of QC issues? Affecting the main function or more cosmetic/small issues?
A lot of magnets leaking - leading to rust, the release of stuff not good for the tank, etc. I've seen at least three (3) Tunze scrapers returned recently that all had massive amounts of corrosion and leaks.

mav3rick478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of magnets leaking - leading to rust, the release of stuff not good for the tank, etc. I've seen at least three (3) Tunze scrapers returned recently that all had massive amounts of corrosion and leaks.
Hmmm I'm going to have to check my scraper.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 40 50.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.1%
Back