Looking for some simple easy to follow set up instructions

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Buddah001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have received my P4 a couple weeks ago. While set up was pretty simple on the probes thanks to @Ditto . But I bought this to use it for a lot more than simple monitoring. I’m somewhat good with a computer. Is there anywhere I can find some simple instructions to set up the below. The downloadable instructions have you jump around often. And are kind of hard to follow. I don’t quite understand how to set up the power bars.

1) Return pump - I would like to set up this to pause to perform water changes
2) Skimmer control - I have a Reef Octopus 150 INT. Looking to set this up to come on5 mins after power failure
3) Automatic neck cleaner for above skimmer. I need this to come on for 2mins 4x a day
4) Skimmer wasn’t collect float valve - obviously I want it to be used to shut off the skimmer and neck cleaner and sound an alarm to empty it

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 - You would determine which Maintenance mode you want to use and we would use advance program logic.

2- Very Easy to setup it called the Blackout Delay, you can set this on each outlet, which is the time you want to wait after power is restored.
On my Post at this location:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/switching-controllers.316106/page-3
Post #45 I show how to set up a blackout time on an outlet

3- You would Use a Timer, and then assign the timer on the outlet which your neck cleaner is assigned to.

Post #45 is how to set up timers, and assign them to an outlet. I did this for my Reefgium light, but your would just have more time values and be assigned to your neck cleaner. If you would like I can post the steps specific to adding more time values to the timer (Let me know)

4- Skimmer wasn’t collect float valve - obviously I want it to be used to shut off the skimmer and neck cleaner and sound an alarm to empty it

On Question # 4 Are you saying you have a float value on the Skimmer, and when it activates to power down the skimmer, and neck cleaner and have it sound an alarm?

Would you like me to outline the step by steps on how to achieve #1 and #4 for you also? If Yes, on #4, do you know which port your float switch is plugged into on the P4 or what number :)

I do both already, one is overall maintenance when I a doing a water change, and when my skimmer bucket is full I turn off the skimmer.

OP
OP
Buddah001

Buddah001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 - You would determine which Maintenance mode you want to use and we would use advance program logic.

2- Very Easy to setup it called the Blackout Delay, you can set this on each outlet, which is the time you want to wait after power is restored.

3- You would Use a Timer, and then assign the timer on the outlet which your neck cleaner is assigned to.

Post #45 is how to set up timers, and assign them to an outlet. I did this for my Reefgium light, but your would just have more time values and be assigned to your neck cleaner. If you would like I can post the steps specific to adding more time values to the timer (Let me know)

4- Skimmer wasn’t collect float valve - obviously I want it to be used to shut off the skimmer and neck cleaner and sound an alarm to empty it

On Question # 4 Are you saying you have a float value on the Skimmer, and when it activates to power down the skimmer, and neck cleaner and have it sound an alarm?

Would you like me to outline the step by steps on how to achieve #1 and #4 for you also? If Yes, on #4, do you know which port your float switch is plugged into on the P4 or what number :)

I do both already, one is overall maintenance when I a doing a water change, and when my skimmer bucket is full I turn off the skimmer.

@Ditto if you could help me with all of these that would be great.

Right now I do not have anything hooked to the power bar nor do I know how to program it all.

I bought the Reef Octopus Waste collector and it comes with a float switch that when it is full it shuts the skimmer off. This set up comes with a special outlet that has a time delay built in. The float switch plugs in to the side of the outlet box for the skimmer. I’m not sure where or how I would hook this up. See pics
4C04D6C6-82B1-44F6-B1FA-8914D24F510E.jpeg
236849F1-9941-4051-B4B2-F77B16118D2F.jpeg

OP
OP
Buddah001

Buddah001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And here is the skimmer controller and plug connection for the skimmer pump. Can this all be controlled by the P4? It is a dc pump VarioS 2 S

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you not want to continue to use the setup you currently have on question #4 since it independent on controller? I assume no because you would like the alert.

I thought you bought a float switch for your skimmer but based on the post above you have a device that does it for the skimmer.

Do you want to modify the cable that plugs into the existing device for your float switch to work with the P4? What type of float switch is it?

Do you need more details on question 2 or 3 or did my post answer what you were looking for?

On question 1 is it ok if we use maintenance 1.

Thanks

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I see the float switch :)

I have a Davy Jones locker skimate setup on a 5 gallon bucket with a float switch within it.

When the bucket fills the float switch switch turns off the the skimmer.

OP
OP
Buddah001

Buddah001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you not want to continue to use the setup you currently have on question #4 since it independent on controller? I assume no because you would like the alert.

I thought you bought a float switch for your skimmer but based on the post above you have a device that does it for the skimmer.

Do you want to modify the cable that plugs into the existing device for your float switch to work with the P4? What type of float switch is it?

Do you need more details on question 2 or 3 or did my post answer what you were looking for?

On question 1 is it ok if we use maintenance 1.

Thanks
I have no problem modifying plug connections. I am kind of an electrician working on Overhead Cranes my career. But what I would like to do is buy the mating plug connector and modify that since you never know when you may want to upgrade equipment. And if I go and cut these plugs then I would not be able to re-sell them in the future if needed.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of that, I think, can be hooked up and controlled how you want it to. It's a little overwhelming when doing a full setup. I would suggest starting with the "basics" and adding more and more function as you get comfortable with the system. Ditto can surely guide you on specific setup questions though. I would go down the checklist starting with the easier more crucial items and work my way down.

Ps. Did your redox value come up?

OP
OP
Buddah001

Buddah001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really would like to have the P4 control everything. I know I will need some more equipment ie break out box possibly for the float or other equipment to perform these options and that’s fine. I WANT MY P4 TO CONTROL EVERYTHING IN THE TANK. Isn’t that what we buy them for. Not just monitoring ph and temp. LOL

OP
OP
Buddah001

Buddah001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of that, I think, can be hooked up and controlled how you want it to. It's a little overwhelming when doing a full setup. I would suggest starting with the "basics" and adding more and more function as you get comfortable with the system. Ditto can surely guide you on specific setup questions though. I would go down the checklist starting with the easier more crucial items and work my way down.

Ps. Did your redox value come up?
It did come up to about 250 but is going down a little bit. What exactly does redox tell you. Is it the quality of the water.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really would like to have the P4 control everything. I know I will need some more equipment ie break out box possibly for the float or other equipment to perform these options and that’s fine. I WANT MY P4 TO CONTROL EVERYTHING IN THE TANK. Isn’t that what we buy them for. Not just monitoring ph and temp. LOL

Yes it is!

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are going to have to cut the cable for the pump and either add a new connector or use the LBF-AP box. Does the float switch go into that yellow box as well? What end is on the float switch? Definitely need someone from GHL, like @Vinny@GHLUSA to weigh in and confirm.

OP
OP
Buddah001

Buddah001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@Ditto I think I understand your answers to 2 and 3. I will give these a try to see if it works but I want the neck cleaner to come on 4x a day for 2mins of ever day

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me I would probably sell that whole float switch setup for the skimmer. Someone without a controller it would be very useful. You could still use the float switch from it on the profilux, but may be able to get some money for the whole setup and buy a simple float switch only for the skimmer overflow. Then to control the actual pump, you will probably need the LBF-AP, cut the control cord plug off and wire properly into that. Then the LBF-AP connects directly to the profilux and the float switch does as well. Hopefully someone from GHL chimes in, or you can email them and/or post on the GHL forum. I've only had my profilux for a couple months, but I'm pretty sure that's the route to go.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back