Looking to get into a controller apex or reef keeper

robbie8691

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
new to controllers not sure which route to go...
system is a Red Sea reefer 250 delux with hydra 26hds. Vectra m1 return pump.mp40wqd, reef octopus classic 150 skimmer,no ato yet as I have to stock one that comes with the reefer probably going with a custom res and a nice ato. I will be adding a biopettet reactor and that’s pretty much it . I’m not looking for any crazy features or leak detection. Just don’t know how the reefkeeper will stand up to the apex jr. or classic thanks for your help

recess62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a apex and love all of its capabilities. I see you have gone for nice equipment. My advice would be not to skimp on the controller. Yes you may not care about certain functions now but in the future you will. Once you have a leak while on vacation. You will wish you had the capabilities

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point, Neptune apex all the way. You may have other options that will work well for you in a month or two but nothing I can discuss.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jr comes with 4 outlets, the classic with 8
Jr has less flash memory for logging
Jr. Only comes with temp probe, classic comes with temp, pH & ORP
Jr has no power monitoring, classic has aggregate power monitoring (i.e. the entire EB8, vs individual outlet monitoring for the EB832)
Jr. has no 0-10V outputs, Classic has 4
Jr can handle fewer modules (can’t remember the number)
See this link:
https://www.neptunesystems.com/downloads/sales/models comparison.pdf

[Cameron]

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you trying to do?
  • If you just want something to flip on a light or two, read pH and keep your heater in check on a budget you can get a ReefKeeper Light for $120. With pH for $200. Clunky interface and limited upgrade capability.
  • If you want to play around with programming and would like online capability but don't care about pH right now, get a Apex Jr. You can also use the peripherals if you decide to upgrade. $250.
  • If you want a full featured unit with a lot of plug and play module expansion, look at the Apex for $800.
  • If you want the most stable full featured unit with a powerful PC interface, Profilux 4. $850
There is more to each unit but that is a good start.

Last edited:

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If and when I can afford I would go with the Apex. For your setup and equipment the Apex is the way to go. Vortec, AI, DC pumps ect all made to work with and can do so much more with the Apex. I am still old school and use what is basically a RKL Plus because its cheap and works for me for what I need.

Back