Looking to Transition

snostorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings!

Looking for some advice. Currently I am running a Innovative Marine 20 Gallon Peninsula. Its about 7 months in and looking to transition to a 25 Lagoon. Im moving my tank to my office and a cube has a much better footprint for where I want it. I am looking to transfer my rock and live stock (pair of clowns, Bi color Blenny, Royal Gramma, and some snails and some hermits) into the new tank.

My plan is to set up the new tank with new sand, take the water and rock and move it to new tank. I would like to not have to do a complete from scratch dry rock cycle again. I would keep my light, an AI Prime HD and Nero 3 PH.

What considerations should I incorporate? Outside of some GPS I will not be moving any corals. My concern is the well being of my livestock through the transition. Technically moving the rock would keep the snails alive?

Sound Plan?

TheScientificReefer

Tlāloc
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive done this multiple, multiple times with great success!
But I did always take the precaution of at least waiting a week and adding Dr Tims bacteria...

As for the water id recommend taking half of your current water and transferring that to the new tank, then filling the rest up with new water... it would be like doing a 50% water change

Meanwhile keep your live stock in the old tank for at least a week or so for bacteria to establish.. Make sure to test those parameters too to make sure there's nothing toxic for your fish and coral!

TheScientificReefer

Tlāloc
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with previous comment, except I’d use Seachem Stability or BIO-Spira instead as Tim’s isn’t designed, as far as I know, for instant cycling. The other two are better suited imo.
They actually advertise for the same purpose, but its worth looking into SeaChems product might be very good to add aswell! It seems they use different bacteria but most people seem to go with Tims

I havent personally tried Seachem but do hear good things from it! and from people who have used it as an alternative

OP
OP
S

snostorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright...so Im thinking I want a bigger tank. Would this work if I went to a 40gallon cube setup?

OP
OP
S

snostorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the exact space you’re working with? What about budget and desired animals?
budget isn't a concern. Moving my existing tank into the new one really my focus at this point. I could go either 25 lagoon or 40g cube and use all the same equipment. Nero 3 AI Prime.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back