Loop's 60G Breeder Fireplace Build

Loop76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. As I was walking through the local fish store I spied an Aqueon 60g breeder and loved the size so much that I picked it up. I have a 29 gallon biocube as my first learner tank and felt ready for something larger. I want to place this tank in front of my fireplace which I don't really use here in Texas.

IMG_9947.jpg

After some measurements I figured I could get it and a sump to fit. I started my research and it wouldn't be fair if i didn't give some credit to TwzteD's New 60 gallon Breeder Build Thread . Thanks for that by the way it was great inspiration! Anyways onwards to what I have done so far.

Day 1 consisted of going to home depot and snagging some wood and screws. I used a few leftover pieces I had laying around as well to get started.
IMG_9949.jpg IMG_9950.jpg IMG_9952.jpg IMG_9953.jpg IMG_9954.jpg

After getting to this point I wanted to set everything together just to see where I was measurement wise as well as the general placement and visual layout. The stand is only going to be 22 inches high total which is why I didn't place any cross members on the bottom to save a few inches. But I will have some additional reinforcement by the time I am done.

IMG_9956 (1).jpg .

I think it came out decent so far. I plan to add plywood to the top and bottom tomorrow. However, I left enough recessed space on the bottom to put it in without increasing the height. I am waiting on my drill press that I ordered from home depot to drill the tank (my first time) so I can figure out some of the plumbing.

Equipment wise I just received my Modular Marine 1600gph overflow and will add it once I have the holes drilled. I went with the 1600 because I wanted 1" plumbing from the overflow instead of 3/4". I also bought 2 SICCE Syncra Silent 3.0 return pumps and a Jebao SCP WiFi Sine Cross Flow Pump Wave Maker with Controller (SCP-70M) . I have narrowed lights down to a few options but haven't decided yet. Also looking at sump options.

More to come.... IMG_9955.jpg

Last edited:

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
" I want to place this tank in my fireplace which I don't really use here in Texas."

IMG_9956 (1).jpg .
OK I read that and was expecting/thinking the tank was going inside the fire place! I was like what the heck. ( ok that is not the expression is thought but to keep with the family friendly rules on R2R.)

I have a sweet spot for 40brs I have yet to see the 60br in real life I bet they are great dims. something bout those breeders that are appealing to the eye. maybe they got the golden ratio right or something. anyway this is going to be a great build.

the MM 1600 oveflow is pretty big overflow for that size of a tank it's gonna tank up some real estate on the back wall. what was/is the reason you did not want to use 3/4" PVC?

fiji cube makes some nice sumps along with innovative marine but if you want to save some cash for other gear a 40br makes great sized sump a few pices of 1/4" plate glass and some silicone and bamm.... you got your self a sump. what is the height under the stand? got room for a skimmer?

for lighting:
man there are so many choices, unfortunately there is no clear winner in my book. there is always a pros and cons lights for every light.
that said i have used the reef breeders photon V2 and like them.
also a fan of the AI lights. 3 Ai primes could do the trick.
the new Blades look interesting and I am considering a pair for a new build I am doing.
then there are the radions
like I said so many choices and all come with some pros and cons.

what is your coral goals for the tank?

OP
OP
L

Loop76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK I read that and was expecting/thinking the tank was going inside the fire place! I was like what the heck. ( ok that is not the expression is thought but to keep with the family friendly rules on R2R.)

I have a sweet spot for 40brs I have yet to see the 60br in real life I bet they are great dims. something bout those breeders that are appealing to the eye. maybe they got the golden ratio right or something. anyway this is going to be a great build.

the MM 1600 oveflow is pretty big overflow for that size of a tank it's gonna tank up some real estate on the back wall. what was/is the reason you did not want to use 3/4" PVC?

fiji cube makes some nice sumps along with innovative marine but if you want to save some cash for other gear a 40br makes great sized sump a few pices of 1/4" plate glass and some silicone and bamm.... you got your self a sump. what is the height under the stand? got room for a skimmer?

for lighting:
man there are so many choices, unfortunately there is no clear winner in my book. there is always a pros and cons lights for every light.
that said i have used the reef breeders photon V2 and like them.
also a fan of the AI lights. 3 Ai primes could do the trick.
the new Blades look interesting and I am considering a pair for a new build I am doing.
then there are the radions
like I said so many choices and all come with some pros and cons.

what is your coral goals for the tank?
Yea I find the dimensions on the 60b just appealing to the eye. As far as the MM 1600 I prefer larger pipe for drains, I like having a wider profile for the overflow, you still won't see it much behind the aquascape, it wont really obstruct flow, and I can have a bit more water turnover.

For the sump I will probably make my own. I made one on an old freshwater tank I used to have and it worked out well. I plan to try more of a refugium build I think. Definately still learning about those, but I like the idea of algae and critters helping to cleanup waste. I am leaning towards the AI Blades myself. They are sleek and water resistant, but also important to me is I can mount them darn close to the tank allowing me to have a small canopy. That helps alot with my height limitations on the stand.

As far as corals, right now in my 29g I mostly have zoas and other softies. I plan to make this one a mixed tank if I am able.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ yeah mounting the blades on the tank and you prob, will not need a canopy. that is my plan if I go that way.

algae turf scrubbers are nice to. if you're limited on space there really nice. heck even if one has all the space there still nice.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40B currently and love it...was at Petsmart a few weeks back and saw they have 60Bs in stock now...and I'm like dang it!...I wish I had that instead.

OP
OP
L

Loop76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of measuring and cutting today. I started out trying to use some fancy trim but just couldnt get the 45 angles right and it turned out a fail. Trashed it and moved on. Decided to use a different trim. Will show in the future.

I did get the bottom sealed on both sides in preparation for water proofing.
664739E4-8147-4579-9739-32D81015D0EC.jpeg

I got the sides cut and installed without too much trouble.
0C6C862F-B489-47E6-B145-7CB2852A5AF8.jpeg
Then i worked on the door. I got it cut to size minus a little sanding. My ballbearing slides arrived today, and am going to install those and the door tomorrow. The entire door will slide out to the left.

Depending on how long that takes I may take my first shot at drilling a tank.

Back