Loosing the battle with Majano

RussiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Fellow Reefers,

Happy Holidays to all :) and your family!

I have heavy infestation of majano anemone. Tried almost everything that I know off, i.e. Aipasia X; Majano Wand, all kinds of juices, but they are multiplying faster then I can kill them.

My system is 280 gal DT acropora heavy. Looking for a natural predators to deal with majano., aka fish, slogs, snails, shrimp etc.

I was very successful with getting rid off aiptasia with berhia nudis. Please, if anyone knows or has experience on how to eradicate majano naturally, PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

José Morales

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Fellow Reefers,

Happy Holidays to all :) and your family!

I have heavy infestation of majano anemone. Tried almost everything that I know off, i.e. Aipasia X; Majano Wand, all kinds of juices, but they are multiplying faster then I can kill them.

My system is 280 gal DT acropora heavy. Looking for a natural predators to deal with majano., aka fish, slogs, snails, shrimp etc.

I was very successful with getting rid off aiptasia with berhia nudis. Please, if anyone knows or has experience on how to eradicate majano naturally, PLEASE LET ME KNOW.
Hey bro. The best I have achieved is with little pieces of rock, use gel cyanoacrylate from the dollar tree store, and glue it on top of where the majano Is, hold it steady until it hardens, and do that with each one. I could be a pain, but I've cured tanks with hundreds of big and small ones. Hope it helps

OP
OP
RussiReef

RussiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey bro. The best I have achieved is with little pieces of rock, use gel cyanoacrylate from the dollar tree store, and glue it on top of where the majano Is, hold it steady until it hardens, and do that with each one. I could be a pain, but I've cured tanks with hundreds of big and small ones. Hope it helps

Thanks for your advise, but I have a big tank and many places are unreachable, with caves, crevices.

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently read that filefish are hit or miss on eating them. I have a friend that has been desperate for a solution to his, so I shared this info. He added a filefish and they are nearly gone now. Not a sure thing, but certainly couldn't hurt to try.

joseserrano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my buddy works in install an service, he took over a 1000g full of them, yes a thousand gallon. He drained most of the tank, got in and literally torched them. thus killing and sterilizing the areas they were on. He also added a couple of kleins butterflies after.

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my buddy works in install an service, he took over a 1000g full of them, yes a thousand gallon. He drained most of the tank, got in and literally torched them. thus killing and sterilizing the areas they were on. He also added a couple of kleins butterflies after.

Hope he was wearing a respirator lol

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a 3"~4" Asfur angel based on recommendations. At first there was no interest but after about 3+ weeks, I started noticing the majanos diminishing. After about another 3 weeks, the only ones to be seen were the ones in-between the starboard and glass pane so I know it was the Asfur. My tank was also SPS heavy, I would not recommend this method if you have high end zoos, brains or acans.

OP
OP
RussiReef

RussiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a 3"~4" Asfur angel based on recommendations. At first there was no interest but after about 3+ weeks, I started noticing the majanos diminishing. After about another 3 weeks, the only ones to be seen were the ones in-between the starboard and glass pane so I know it was the Asfur. My tank was also SPS heavy, I would not recommend this method if you have high end zoos, brains or acans.
Thanks for advise . I will do research on Asfur . And yes I have afew brains.

OP
OP
RussiReef

RussiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an option . But I am not ready to drain my tank.

OP
OP
RussiReef

RussiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far I have three candidate : filefish, kleins butterflies and Asfur angel. Which one do you suggest ?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for advise . I will do research on Asfur . And yes I have afew brains.

I have used an Asfur Angel on two different occasions to combat both aptasia and majano infestations. Once they really take hold, none of the favored approaches like aptasia-X will work; you have to go with a biological control. First Asfur was awesome, ate bad stuff but left the good stuff alone. Second one liked Zooanthids. I kept no fleshy LPS though. I did find that upon removing the Angel, majanos returned. Asfur is also a really nice looking fish.

I currently have pyramid butterflyfish that appear to also eat aptasia and majano.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 89 80.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back