OP
RussiReef

RussiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used an Asfur Angel on two different occasions to combat both aptasia and majano infestations. Once they really take hold, none of the favored approaches like aptasia-X will work; you have to go with a biological control. First Asfur was awesome, ate bad stuff but left the good stuff alone. Second one liked Zooanthids. I kept no fleshy LPS though. I did find that upon removing the Angel, majanos returned. Asfur is also a really nice looking fish.

I currently have pyramid butterflyfish that appear to also eat aptasia and majano.
IS pyramid butterfly reef safe?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mostly. They will eat Xenia with great enthusiasm, and mine also ate blue clove polyps. I'd view both as pests though. I will say that I have never actually observed mine eating aptasia/majanos, but I have no other good candidates amongst my current fish population.

OP
OP
RussiReef

RussiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have another candidate . Pyramid butterfly, filefish, asfur angel,kleins butterfly. ANy other thoughts ?

McMullen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
File fish for sure!
Mine also ate all me Xenia, zoas, and hammer once Aipasia and mojanos were gone. Really cool fish! Unfortunately it didn't touch my palys.

OP
OP
RussiReef

RussiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
File fish for sure!
Mine also ate all me Xenia, zoas, and hammer once Aipasia and mojanos were gone. Really cool fish! Unfortunately it didn't touch my palys.
Is filefish safe with sps corals?

OP
OP
RussiReef

RussiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am leaning toward file fish to control majano . Any one else have an experience with this fish.

Charlie brown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same problem but luckily it's one rock only I took mine out and just scrape them of with exacto blade some came back but just knifed them and now they haven't came back as heavily a few pop up but I'm keeping on them but I think something in my tank has been eating them too cause the ones I've seen just disappeared I have 2 yellow tangs one naso blue hippo 2 davinchi clowns fire gobby and orchard dotty back 2 emerald crabs and nasril snails and couple blue legged crabs so if anyone knows if any of my fish or inverts eat them I'd like to know

Charlie brown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same problem but luckily it's one rock only I took mine out and just scrape them of with exacto blade some came back but just knifed them and now they haven't came back as heavily a few pop up but I'm keeping on them but I think something in my tank has been eating them too cause the ones I've seen just disappeared I have 2 yellow tangs one naso one blue hippo 2 davinchi clowns fire gobby and orchard dotty back 2 emerald crabs and nasril snails and couple blue legged crabs so if anyone knows if any of my fish or inverts eat them I'd like to know

Charlie brown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same problem but luckily it's one rock only I took mine out and just scrape them of with exacto blade some came back but just knifed them and now they haven't came back as heavily a few pop up but I'm keeping on them but I think something in my tank has been eating them too cause the ones I've seen just disappeared I have 2 yellow tangs one naso blue hippo 2 davinchi clowns fire gobby and orchard dotty back 2 emerald crabs and nasril snails and couple blue legged crabs so if anyone knows if any of my fish or inverts eat them I'd like to know
So really quick I just literally look at my tank and saw my turbo snail munching on one? I am not completely sure but I was watching and the spot that had one isn't there anymore

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
So far I have three candidate : filefish, kleins butterflies and Asfur angel. Which one do you suggest ?
I recently had to take my tank down and replace all the rock because my tank was infested with pink tip majanos.
I tried 3 different file fish, a copperbanded butterfly, and a raccoon butterfly.
I gave them more than 4-5 months.
I couldn't find a kleins butterfly.

I would try both the kleins and the asfur if it happens again.

OP
OP
RussiReef

RussiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently had to take my tank down and replace all the rock because my tank was infested with pink tip majanos.
I tried 3 different file fish, a copperbanded butterfly, and a raccoon butterfly.
I gave them more than 4-5 months.
I couldn't find a kleins butterfly.

I would try both the kleins and the asfur if it happens again.
To take my tank down is not an option for me. I will try to do more research on majano eating fish.

Orbela

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if people advice this but I didn’t want to read through all the thread. Peppermint Shrimp

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anybody actually use the laser? It looks fun.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
To take my tank down is not an option for me. I will try to do more research on majano eating fish.
I didn't think it was a option for me either.
I tried everything and was losing the battle everyday, until I realized only one thing was going to save the remaining corals.
Over the period of several months I picked up a used qt system for my fish, and other for my corals.
Then I started picking up dry rock for other locals that had extra.
I picked up a rubbermaid tub and cycled the dry rock with Dr. Tims.
As I moved the corals over to the holding tank I carefully inspected everything to make sure no majanos transferred over.
Over the course of the next 40 days I did find a couple that sprung up on the moved corals, but being I was looking for them every day I was able to remove the majano.

Hope you find a easier answer to this pest than I did.
It was very painful but in my case necessary.

OP
OP
RussiReef

RussiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if people advice this but I didn’t want to read through all the thread. Peppermint Shrimp
I tried pepps . They do nothing with majano.

OP
OP
RussiReef

RussiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried everything and was losing the battle everyday, until I realized only one thing was going to save the remaining corals.
Over the period of several months I picked up a used qt system for my fish, and other for my corals.
As I moved the corals over to the holding tank I carefully inspected everything to make sure no majanos transferred over.
Over the course of the next 40 days I did find a couple that sprung up on the moved corals, but being I was looking for them every day I was able to remove the majano.

This is will be my last line of defense .

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I did not. Will do more reseach in it.
The lazer only works on those that you can see and most are not really powerful enough.
There are a bunch that say they can light a match, but there is a big difference when you are trying to burn a majano or aiptasia through water.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back