OP
RussiReef

RussiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lazer only works on those that you can see and most are not really powerful enough.
There are a bunch that say they can light a match, but there is a big difference when you are trying to burn a majano or aiptasia through water.
Thanks for explanation .

acabgd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm battling the same pest and I'm out of ideas. I actually had a File fish from our club which did reduce the population somewhat, but I had to return it after few months. The moment it left the tank majanos took it over again - I now have even more than before and they have now started stinging corals and stopping their growth. I also must say that File fish was definitely not a complete solution, probably due to the amount of infestation I've had.
I'm open to any other (biological) options. Kalk or AiptasiaX are out of the question as I have many crevices and overhangs where it would be impossible for me to reach and kill them all. Seeing how quickly they return it must be a permanent solution.

My LFS suggested I take out rock by rock and scrape them off, but the amount that I have now would probably take me months to do and by the time I finish one rock I suspect they will return again. Therefore, something that eats them would be ideal, if not the only solution short of nuking the whole tank.

acabgd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know if you were asking me, but I got the File fish and had no luck. They told me part of the reason might be that I'm broadcast feeding my fish and it eats the food provided and doesn't need to munch on majanos, but I thought it does it them as snacks - sadly it doesn't. I now have a total infestation and I'm ready to try virtually anything.

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know if you were asking me, but I got the File fish and had no luck. They told me part of the reason might be that I'm broadcast feeding my fish and it eats the food provided and doesn't need to munch on majanos, but I thought it does it them as snacks - sadly it doesn't. I now have a total infestation and I'm ready to try virtually anything.
i broadcast feed and my filefish still keeps my display aiptasia and majano free. If you can catch the filefish you have, i would try another from a different source.

OP
OP
RussiReef

RussiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which fish did you go with? any luck?
I went with a file fish. Bought it about 3 month ago. I can say that personally I do not see if she eats a mojano but number of this pests greatly reduced . I think that filefish contribute to this. Also I notes that filefish do not touch my corals and I have SPS, LPS and ZOAS

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with a file fish. Bought it about 3 month ago. I can say that personally I do not see if she eats a mojano but number of this pests greatly reduced . I think that filefish contribute to this. Also I notes that filefish do not touch my corals and I have SPS, LPS and ZOAS
I never actually see it eat aiptasia or majanos, but I never see either in the tank either. There used to be both on the rock that it's with. I have taken rock and put it in a different system and boom, majano and aiptasia explosion without the filefish present. I think he basically keeps them 100% under control while they try to multiply from inaccessible places.

OP
OP
RussiReef

RussiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never actually see it eat aiptasia or majanos, but I never see either in the tank either. There used to be both on the rock that it's with. I have taken rock and put it in a different system and boom, majano and aiptasia explosion without the filefish present. I think he basically keeps them 100% under control while they try to multiply from inaccessible places.
You got the point.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 20 + yrs of experience every remedy except one is a hit and miss. All living creatures fish/inverts are hit and miss or come with non reef safe warning and almost all of them after pulling out from tank anemones come back.
Only exception is like someone mentioned earlier. Drain tank or pull rock out and using a small torch lighter burn the infected areas, rinse and back into tank. Never had one reappear.

Headhunter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

just now starting to making noticeable progress with a tag team - Aptasia X & my BiColor Angel...fingers crossed

408Dartfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Berghia nudibranch is another livestock option but can take a little while to attack the aptasia. Kind of expensive and will die off if no aptasia to eat. I haven’t personally used them. Dustin

acabgd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to do a full reboot, dry out everything, change piping and bleach the tank to get rid of majanos. I've had dinos and aiptasia and it was tough but I won. However, majanos gained the upper hand and there was no other solution but to tear down everything.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back