Lopophytum (devil's hand) and Sinularia

guntercb

View Badges
Reaction score
I am thinking of putting the following two soft corals in my new 75:

Sinularia (finger leather)
Lopophytum (devil's hand)

All other coral will be LPS. Will these two soft corals create issues for me? I believe the Sinularia goes fairly fast. Will I regret adding it in a few years? Do these two soft corals wage chemical wars that I need to be aware of? Any input you can provide on these two soft corals that a rookie should be aware of?

Thanks for your help.

danieyella

shouldn't have done that...
View Badges
Reaction score
My sinularia grew fast, but doesn't drop like Kenya's (at least, not in my experience). I don't have a lobo to speak for them. I recommend carbon if you're running with leathers, I have a mixed reef with a lot of leathers, gorgs, and lps and they're all getting along just fine - but I do keep up with my carbon and definitely seem some corals get grumpy if I slack.

OP
G

guntercb

View Badges
Reaction score
My sinularia grew fast, but doesn't drop like Kenya's (at least, not in my experience). I don't have a lobo to speak for them. I recommend carbon if you're running with leathers, I have a mixed reef with a lot of leathers, gorgs, and lps and they're all getting along just fine - but I do keep up with my carbon and definitely seem some corals get grumpy if I slack.
Thanks for the update on the Sinularia. Thanks for the recommendation to run carbon. I will plan to run carbon.

Cheers.

carnthetiges

View Badges
Reaction score
Not OP but in a similar situation.
Regarding carbon, will that negatively impact my kh dosing?
Tank is only 4 months old, i'm dosing to keep the coraline happy until it's thoroughly encrusted the rockwork.

OP
G

guntercb

View Badges
Reaction score
Not OP but in a similar situation.
Regarding carbon, will that negatively impact my kh dosing?
Tank is only 4 months old, i'm dosing to keep the coraline happy until it's thoroughly encrusted the rockwork.
I don't think carbon effects Alkalinity; however, you may want to ask in the Chemistry forum.

I would always test Alkalinity, Ca, and Mg and dose as required.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED lighting

HOW MUCH DO YOU LIKE ZOANTHIDS?

• LOVE them

Votes: 272 43.5%
  • Like them

Votes: 167 26.7%
  • They're "ok"

Votes: 123 19.7%
  • Don't like them

Votes: 33 5.3%
  • Hate them

Votes: 22 3.5%