Losing battle on gha

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Geez...it’s been weeks and the more I pull, more water changes, less feeding, the more grows. Here are some pics after I just tore a bunch out.
Getting a large amount of CUC from reef cleaners that he thinks will do the trick but if not I need this off the rock before I upgrade to new tanks

vibrant the best last resort to use?

image.jpg
image.jpg image.jpg

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this were my tank, I would go in this order. I'd only move down the list if the one above failed.

1) manual removal (removing rock and cleaning with toothbrush and rinsing)
2) Clean up crew (urchin, turbo snail, tang (if tank was large enough)
3) Fluconazole
4) Vibrant- I left this here for others. I wouldn't use it on my reef, but that's a personal choice.

OP
OP
C

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this were my tank, I would go in this order. I'd only move down the list if the one above failed.

3) Fluconazole
4) Vibrant- I left this here for others. I wouldn't use it on my reef, but that's a personal choice.
Thanks man. I’m at 2 this week. I’ve see fluconazole as an option in posts so that’s why I asked about vibrant.

Ligershark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluconazole will have you cleared up in 3-4 weeks. Read that thread regarding skimmer, gfo, and carbon usage with dosing. I personally left my skimmer running.

OP
OP
C

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluconazole will have you cleared up in 3-4 weeks. Read that thread regarding skimmer, gfo, and carbon usage with dosing. I personally left my skimmer running.
Current tank only has 2 smaller HOB filters

nukemdanno

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard both Fluconazole or Vibrant will work. I don't have experience with either of these two, but I've read other folks using these with success. I'd look at what your running for filtration and maybe upgrade. A lot of times you will have zero's on the test kits but obviously the GHA has a lot of fuel to run on.

HNR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats your nitrate and phos at? Carbon dosing + manual removal might help you out here. Carbon dosing will help with the core nutrient issue and also prevent growback.

OP
OP
C

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard both Fluconazole or Vibrant will work. I don't have experience with either of these two, but I've read other folks using these with success. I'd look at what your running for filtration and maybe upgrade. A lot of times you will have zero's on the test kits but obviously the GHA has a lot of fuel to run on.
Currently upgrading to new tank w sump and skimmer for filtration.
Can’t really sink anything into old tank. I did have a hob fuge that was working for months but some free hair from fuge leaked into tank while pulling and the rest is history

OP
OP
C

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats your nitrate and phos at? Carbon dosing + manual removal might help you out here. Carbon dosing will help with the core nutrient issue and also prevent growback.
Last test .04 phos and 5ppm nitrates

OP
OP
C

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what brand? I think reef flux states on it, Will not help against hair algaes.

HNR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last test .04 phos and 5ppm nitrates
Get a skimmer and dose nopox or another form of carbon dosing along with some form of bacterial supplementation (mb7, vibrant, etc). Im in a similar situation as you and this is what I have been doing and the algae is all turning white and dying back. Any algae I pull out doesnt return. Reef flux might work but unless the core nutrient issue is fixed it might return.

OP
OP
C

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a skimmer and dose nopox or another form of carbon dosing along with some form of bacterial supplementation (mb7, vibrant, etc). Im in a similar situation as you and this is what I have been doing and the algae is all turning white and dying back. Any algae I pull out doesnt return. Reef flux might work but unless the core nutrient issue is fixed it might return.
While I’d do that I’m in the process of setting up a 45 gallon tank with sump/skimmer so I’d like to got a route that doesn’t require new filtration for an old tank.

OP
OP
C

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

3) Fluconazole
Did manual and scrubbing w toothbrush.
image.jpg

OP
OP
C

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My turbos snail wiped mine it in a few days. Just got to make sure your corals are glued in place
I have like 5 large turbos and it was still growing in controllably.
I’ve upped filtration and water changes while reducing feeding. Have to make sure I don’t get Dino’s tho

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

3) Fluconazole

Fully agree with @andrewey.

Based on your pictures though and your losing battle I would recommend jumping to the fluconazole. It's a 14-day treatment with a water change at the end of it (If you haven't gotten all of it by the end start another treatment). I was having a major issue with GHA in our nano tank, 14 days later a majority of the GHA I couldn't get rid of for months is finally on its last legs literally one last rock in the tank that has it.

I tried a small contingent of CuC early on they just weren't enough
Tried vibriant over a 9 week period still had it.
Cleaning and scrubbing where you can during water changes.

I would say that the CuC and vibrant are more preventative than addressing a large outbreak issue. I've now added a more substantial CuC and will probably dose vibrant weekly post the fluconazole treatment.

Let me know if you have questions happy to help:)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back