losing dragonsoul heads

Hats_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, recently I fragged my 8 head dragonsoul colony since some heads were not getting enough light. everything went pretty smoothly, no cracked skeletons, no accidental tissue damage. A couple days go by and they were sitting pretty in the frag system tied to my main tank. I have had this particular torch for about a year and it has been growing well, showing good colours.

now I lost about 5 heads over the span of 3 days, all peeling off the skeleton and disintegrating. no sign of brown jelly but I didn't want to rule it out so I started dipping the remaining heads, I am now left with 3 heads and the skeletons that the heads are attached to look weird to me so I want to show you guys since maybe someone has seen this before.

my tank is a red sea reefer 350 that has effectively been running for just over 2 years. it is being lit by 4 AI Prime HDs and flow comes from 2 jump gyres, a Nero 3 and a Tunze Nanostream. water parameters have been stable but I did take a dip in nitrates. my po4 has always been on the low end and I have never had issues with that

I have a couple of ideas on what it could be:
-either something arrived in the tank on one of the hammers I bought from a hobbyist recently, I did dip those but who knows
-The nutrients are too low

Let me know what you guys think!

Screenshot_20230913_112407_Excel.jpg PXL_20230913_084904707.jpg PXL_20230913_085005872.jpg PXL_20230913_085012048.jpg

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the nutrients definitely look like they bottomed out based on your sheet. There also does look like a little bit of brown jelly in your dip shots.

Mostly like got stressed during the fragging then with your nutrients bottoming out, they are probably not happy

BJD can appear when they get stressed, so if other people agree, you could try running some chemiclean or cipro. otherwise, Id try to get your parameters more stable and just hope for the best

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 151 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.3%
Back