OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little update. The male clown seems fine. Like he doesn’t remember what’s happened. But now I see that the female is more comfortable swimming on her own? Is this something I should watch for?

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I haven’t been posting lately. Hmmm…..well, let me give you the scoop. So I was finally able to add more sand to the tank so now the sand covers all areas of the bottom of the tank. Rearranged the rocks a little again. And the three fish are all healthy. Today is water change day and later in the afternoon I will start. Cyano has left the sand bed well partially that is and ran for the rocks, and I also have bubble algae, so this is leaving a bitter taste in my mouth. So going to try to clean the rocks a little extra today. I’ve tried dosing some chemicals in the tank and still the water doesn’t seem to stay clear. But here’s why I haven‘t posted, and this deals with the future of the tank.

F R U S T R A T E D! That‘s the word describing how I feel. Because of a financial situation, the tank has been moving slower than I want. Which isn‘t a big deal I suppose, but this is a thorn in my side I’m having to deal with. I’ve been on the look out for lights, and I posted a thread last night on my debate between Radions and Reef 90’s. Now do I spend the money on the 90’s but then sell them later as I know an upgrade is inevitable? Those lights won’t suit me for my goals, so Radions seem like the better choice but they are just so dang expensive for just 1….and I’d end up needing 3 realistically only getting 2. So should I wait to just upgrade and THEN spend big money there in all aspects? And the constant dealing with cloudy water and the work this system needs is beginning to really bug me. So, (and this is just a thought) I’ve been coming to the conclusion that all my hard work isn’t worth all I’ve been getting back. So why don’t I stop…let my mind cool down….and then possibly upgrade? So I’ve posted a thread to sell my tank. I’m asking for $3000 for everything I have, except for my RODI unit and Protein skimmer because I want to keep those for my next tank. Now this isn’t official though. So if I don’t get a response on my tank in a few months I’ll just keep the tank and keep on with my thread, and just try to be more patient. Now this thread isn’t going to be ignored completely if I do sell, but it will be taken over by a new thread of my plans for a bigger new tank in time. I will continue to post regularly as of now here in my thread but also around the community so I wont be out of touch. My little posting hiatus is over. Now if my tank is sold…an upgrade is coming this way. If anyone knows of anyone interested in a tank of that size pls let me know. For now here‘s a FTS.

image.jpg

Last edited:

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that. This hobby can certainly be tough sometimes. I hate lights and how expensive they are and I only just upgraded to slightly more expensive lights as I'm also too scared to spend radion money. I'm sure your bad luck will pass or at least I hope it does because I enjoy your posts and want to keep seeing them.

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I haven’t been posting lately. Hmmm…..well, let me give you the scoop. So I was finally able to add more sand to the tank so now the sand covers all areas of the bottom of the tank. Rearranged the rocks a little again. And the three fish are all healthy. Today is water change day and later in the afternoon I will start. Cyano has left the sand bed well partially that is and ran for the rocks, and I also have bubble algae, so this is leaving a bitter taste in my mouth. So going to try to clean the rocks a little extra today. I’ve tried dosing some chemicals in the tank and still the water doesn’t seem to stay clear. But here’s why I haven‘t posted, and this deals with the future of the tank.

F R U S T R A T E D! That‘s the word describing how I feel. Because of a financial situation, the tank has been moving slower than I want. Which isn‘t a big deal I suppose, but this is a thorn in my side I’m having to deal with. I’ve been on the look out for lights, and I posted a thread last night on my debate between Radions and Reef 90’s. Now do I spend the money on the 90’s but then sell them later as I know an upgrade is inevitable? Those lights won’t suit me for my goals, so Radions seem like the better choice but they are just so dang expensive for just 1….and I’d end up needing 3 realistically only getting 2. So should I wait to just upgrade and THEN spend big money there in all aspects? And the constant dealing with cloudy water and the work this system needs is beginning to take its toll. I’ve come to the conclusion that all my hard work isn’t worth all I’ve been getting back. So why don’t I stop…for a little bit…let my mind cool down….and then possibly upgrade? So I’ve posted a thread to sell my tank. I’m asking for $3000 for everything I have, except for my RODI unit and Protein skimmer because I want to keep those for my next tank. Now this isn’t official though. So if I don’t get a response on my tank in a few months I’ll just keep the tank and keep on with my thread, and just try to be more patient. Now this thread isn’t going to be ignored completely if I do sell, but it will be taken over by a new thread of my plans for a bigger new tank in time. I will continue to post regularly as of now here in my thread but also around the community so I wont be out of touch. My little posting hiatus is over. Now if my tank is sold…an upgrade is coming this way. If anyone knows of anyone interested in a tank of that size pls let me know. For now here‘s a FTS.

image.jpg
Have you considered Halied/T5 for lighting?? Might help you save some money.

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered Halied/T5 for lighting?? Might help you save some money.
I have. But I’ve never liked the idea of T5’s idk why but they just don’t speak to me as LED’s do. And Halides are just out of the question for me. And the amount of power they pull (and the amount of money they pull out of the house power), has kept me away from them as well. Maybe in the future once I have my dream tank I can look further into T5’s.

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that. This hobby can certainly be tough sometimes. I hate lights and how expensive they are and I only just upgraded to slightly more expensive lights as I'm also too scared to spend radion money. I'm sure your bad luck will pass or at least I hope it does because I enjoy your posts and want to keep seeing them.
My problems are insignificant compared to the huge setbacks and the ”real” problems other reefers have had, and can be taken care of, but just the brain stress has effected me enough to think this way. I appreciate your comment and everyone’s. And thx for saying you enjoy my posts, it brightens my day :) But I promise you one thing. Even though it’s been a little rough, by no means has it effected the way I view this hobby. I LOVE it! Like all the hobbies in existence there’s the good the bad the ugly and we just need to push through. My love for reefing is only ever growing, so I will always have that passion for it, and hopefully, will always have a reef tank, no matter if I need to take a break or not, or if I have some problems or not. I think what has helped me keep going is what I know this or any future tank can be! And my dream tank is already planned and thought, so all I need to do, is just hang on for the ride and whatever may present itself.

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also just realized the photo attachment is blurry first glance so if anyone wants to see it clearly they need to click on it lol. I’m sure you guys already knew that but hey ho!

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have. But I’ve never liked the idea of T5’s idk why but they just don’t speak to me as LED’s do. And Halides are just out of the question for me. And the amount of power they pull (and the amount of money they pull out of the house power), has kept me away from them as well. Maybe in the future once I have my dream tank I can look further into T5’s.
Watts are watts. If you run 500 watts of LED, it is the same as 500 watts of halide/T5. You will also be locked into a fixture where it is obsolete once the release the next 'Gen 6,7,8,9" or whatever and then they want you to spend another $600 - $800 or more per fixture for the latest and greatest. LED has been trying to do what halide and T5 did for decades. I say all this as someone who has run both LED (10+ years) and halide.

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watts are watts. If you run 500 watts of LED, it is the same as 500 watts of halide/T5. You will also be locked into a fixture where it is obsolete once the release the next 'Gen 6,7,8,9" or whatever and then they want you to spend another $600 - $800 or more per fixture for the latest and greatest. LED has been trying to do what halide and T5 did for decades. I say all this as someone who has run both LED (10+ years) and halide.
T5 has always been and probably will be better in the future than LED. I do agree with this. I plan on if I do get Radions, have G6 Pros, and then not change them. Only until I get my dream tank would I change them into the newer model by then. Something I may do however is if it’s the right price do a T5LED hybrid.

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WE’VE GOT FISHYS!

So today I decided to treat myself with some fish from TSA and I took advantage of the Black Friday sales and prices. I brought home 2 fish @i cant think ‘s dreaded Midas Blenny, and my third favorite tang the Whitetail Bristletooth. I’m so happy! I made sure to get a Tahitian as well, as I know the Tahitian’s color up much better than their counterparts. Initially I was looking for a Midas Blenny and a Longnose Hawk. I found the Blenny, and only paid $20 for him. But no Hawkfish. I kept looking around and some other nice fish caught my attention. Among them I found the world‘s first CB Passer Angelfish (at least that’s what they told me). Pretty cute, but no way was I going to pay $360 for them, and I knew those cuties would turn into terrors. I found a really good sized Tomini for only $150 not counting the 30% off, and a big Chocolate Tang. I also saw a Whitetail Bristletooth for $285, and although they were nice fish, I didn’t want to spend some big coin today just because it was Black Friday. So then I had 3 choices a Ruby Fin Wrasse or a Red and Blue Wrasse or a Pintail. Knowing WWC was literally 5 min away, I went over there to compare the prices. Yea let’s just say I stuck to TSA for this one. My mom and sister came over to the store, and my mom fell in love with a Magnificent Foxface that was there and the Whitetail Tang. She decided to get me the Whitetail. Hey I wasn’t going to argue I got that fish that I wanted! So no wrasse but IMO something better. I added both fish and immediately my Angel went a little crazy flaring at the glass and running laps. This went on for only about a minute or two. He calmed down and started checking out the Tang. A few flares at the beginning but to my surprise nothing of aggression or even true interest. I got a little worried when the Tang decided to hang around the Angel’s cave for a bit but nothing and now the Tang has a cave he seems to be around on the complete other side of the tank. The Tang was out and about immediately not hiding and the colors weren’t dulled like the Blenny’s was. 4 hours later and no aggression or even flares between the two. So that’s good. It’s only the first day so I’ll see how things play out. All the lights are off now and the Angel is in his cave and the Tang seems to be swimming around the tank still. I thought the Tang would be at a cave or nook but he is just swimming around. Is it normal for them to swim constantly at night? Here is a picture of the new guy! Couldn‘t get a picture of the Blenny that guy is idk where in the rocks. Mind the cyano it’s back unfortunatley. I’ll be sure to get some pictures in the morning when they are more settled in.
1669431272485.jpeg

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool!
You live right by two of the biggest online vendors?!

I admit I'm not a tang person but I do love midas blennies. Mine has one of my favorite personalities in its tank. My midas is probably the most aggressive fish in my coral tank but that's like saying the most aggressive telatubby. That's possibly why I don't go for tangs. No point adding a PG-13 fish to a G rated tank. It is a very pretty whitetail though and honestly that would be the tang I'd go for.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WE’VE GOT FISHYS!

So today I decided to treat myself with some fish from TSA and I took advantage of the Black Friday sales and prices. I brought home 2 fish @i cant think ‘s dreaded Midas Blenny, and my third favorite tang the Whitetail Bristletooth. I’m so happy! I made sure to get a Tahitian as well, as I know the Tahitian’s color up much better than their counterparts. Initially I was looking for a Midas Blenny and a Longnose Hawk. I found the Blenny, and only paid $20 for him. But no Hawkfish. I kept looking around and some other nice fish caught my attention. Among them I found the world‘s first CB Passer Angelfish (at least that’s what they told me). Pretty cute, but no way was I going to pay $360 for them, and I knew those cuties would turn into terrors. I found a really good sized Tomini for only $150 not counting the 30% off, and a big Chocolate Tang. I also saw a Whitetail Bristletooth for $285, and although they were nice fish, I didn’t want to spend some big coin today just because it was Black Friday. So then I had 3 choices a Ruby Fin Wrasse or a Red and Blue Wrasse or a Pintail. Knowing WWC was literally 5 min away, I went over there to compare the prices. Yea let’s just say I stuck to TSA for this one. My mom and sister came over to the store, and my mom fell in love with a Magnificent Foxface that was there and the Whitetail Tang. She decided to get me the Whitetail. Hey I wasn’t going to argue I got that fish that I wanted! So no wrasse but IMO something better. I added both fish and immediately my Angel went a little crazy flaring at the glass and running laps. This went on for only about a minute or two. He calmed down and started checking out the Tang. A few flares at the beginning but to my surprise nothing of aggression or even true interest. I got a little worried when the Tang decided to hang around the Angel’s cave for a bit but nothing and now the Tang has a cave he seems to be around on the complete other side of the tank. The Tang was out and about immediately not hiding and the colors weren’t dulled like the Blenny’s was. 4 hours later and no aggression or even flares between the two. So that’s good. It’s only the first day so I’ll see how things play out. All the lights are off now and the Angel is in his cave and the Tang seems to be swimming around the tank still. I thought the Tang would be at a cave or nook but he is just swimming around. Is it normal for them to swim constantly at night? Here is a picture of the new guy! Couldn‘t get a picture of the Blenny that guy is idk where in the rocks. Mind the cyano it’s back unfortunatley. I’ll be sure to get some pictures in the morning when they are more settled in.
1669431272485.jpeg
I wanted a whitetail but I was impatient and went for the second nicest looking tank (Ctenochaetus binotatus). Sometimes I regret my decision - especially when the week after I brought the binotatus, my LFS got in a flavicauda…

Other times I love my decision. And this is why. The first photo was with a mirror and the second photo is still unknown what made him go so light.
1FA23F05-2996-4847-B3EA-24852E240E84.jpeg

53BEE693-BF79-45AD-A479-5245F4715B94.jpeg

Your whitetail is a beauty, can’t wait to see how he grows!
As for the Midas… well, my trust in that family is low. They’re nice but I won’t forget how many have gone bad (I have a good list of them).

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it’s been a week since I uploaded. Like you saw in the picture the tang didn’t make it. I was so stoked about the new addition but unfortunately I couldn’t keep her in my tank not even 24 hours. I put of an emergency thread and did some digging of my own and also asked 4 different fish stores. I’ve come down to the conclusion that acclimation said NO to the poor fish. Even though the Midas made it through very well apparently and he’s still kicking out and about the entire day for the whole week looking very healthy. (I haven’t been able to get a picture of him and I swear fish know what a camera is because he‘ll come up to my hand to eat but once I get the cam up you couldn‘t tell there was a blenny in there). The acclimation process just must have not gone well for the poor fish. Everything checked out the ph balance the exact same the gravity just 0.01 off and the temperature was a degree off. The fish seemed fine when I put her in she even ate! But no no none of that mattered :angry-face::angry-face::angry-face: She was a beautiful fish (yea I considered it a she) those markings the colors and very calm swimming no pacing like my PBT did. Not to mention it was $200. Well technically it was $285 but with the Black Friday deals it was lowered 85. To rub it in I didn’t even pay for taxes which $10 sounds ridiculous to be proud over but cmon I didn’t need to pay them lol. But things happen and it’s just part of the hobby I guess. Ending on a happier note like I said the Midas looks good and I will be on the look out for another WhiteTail. Another thing the Midas is skinny I have tried feeding him many different kind of foods and he just puts it in its mouth and spits it out. The only thing he has accepted which is what I fed today was krill. Anyone have any ideas on how to get this guy eating. I also realized the teeth on him those things are fangs! I also moved the rocks around a bit as well and I added lots more sand so the sand adding is complete. I also adjusted with the flow settings and now I have more flow around the back of the tank and a dead spot I had is gone. I’m also now making the jump and are now saving up to get everything I need for coral I picked up already trace elements and another Hanna Phosphate checker. I also picked up the Seachem Clarity I was looking for. I added it and waited 4 days and no improvement with the cloudiness. Then I realized I didn’t unplug the skimmer so those 4 days of waiting were just wasted.
1670119239570.gif
So I turned it off last night and added dosed some more. No improvement I can see atm but it’s not even been 24 hours so I’ll just need more patience. Oh well. No one said this hobby was quick to give. But that’s the just part of the fun I suppose :confused::squinting-face-with-tongue:

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool!
You live right by two of the biggest online vendors?!

I admit I'm not a tang person but I do love midas blennies. Mine has one of my favorite personalities in its tank. My midas is probably the most aggressive fish in my coral tank but that's like saying the most aggressive telatubby. That's possibly why I don't go for tangs. No point adding a PG-13 fish to a G rated tank. It is a very pretty whitetail though and honestly that would be the tang I'd go for.
Yep! TSA is about an hour away and WWC superstore about 30 min away. Well not counting traffic at least. I’m very privileged in that aspect.

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep! TSA is about an hour away and WWC superstore about 30 min away. Well not counting traffic at least. I’m very privileged in that aspect
I also didn’t know that WWC @ Winter Park was literally 5 minutes away. Even though I visit that area often.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it’s been a week since I uploaded. Like you saw in the picture the tang didn’t make it. I was so stoked about the new addition but unfortunately I couldn’t keep her in my tank not even 24 hours. I put of an emergency thread and did some digging of my own and also asked 4 different fish stores. I’ve come down to the conclusion that acclimation said NO to the poor fish. Even though the Midas made it through very well apparently and he’s still kicking out and about the entire day for the whole week looking very healthy. (I haven’t been able to get a picture of him and I swear fish know what a camera is because he‘ll come up to my hand to eat but once I get the cam up you couldn‘t tell there was a blenny in there). The acclimation process just must have not gone well for the poor fish. Everything checked out the ph balance the exact same the gravity just 0.01 off and the temperature was a degree off. The fish seemed fine when I put her in she even ate! But no no none of that mattered :angry-face::angry-face::angry-face: She was a beautiful fish (yea I considered it a she) those markings the colors and very calm swimming no pacing like my PBT did. Not to mention it was $200. Well technically it was $285 but with the Black Friday deals it was lowered 85. To rub it in I didn’t even pay for taxes which $10 sounds ridiculous to be proud over but cmon I didn’t need to pay them lol. But things happen and it’s just part of the hobby I guess. Ending on a happier note like I said the Midas looks good and I will be on the look out for another WhiteTail. Another thing the Midas is skinny I have tried feeding him many different kind of foods and he just puts it in its mouth and spits it out. The only thing he has accepted which is what I fed today was krill. Anyone have any ideas on how to get this guy eating. I also realized the teeth on him those things are fangs! I also moved the rocks around a bit as well and I added lots more sand so the sand adding is complete. I also adjusted with the flow settings and now I have more flow around the back of the tank and a dead spot I had is gone. I’m also now making the jump and are now saving up to get everything I need for coral I picked up already trace elements and another Hanna Phosphate checker. I also picked up the Seachem Clarity I was looking for. I added it and waited 4 days and no improvement with the cloudiness. Then I realized I didn’t unplug the skimmer so those 4 days of waiting were just wasted.
It happens. My last fish was a flame angel. It was eating at the store and looked great but by the time I got it home it wasn't. Put it in the spare "hospital" tank but to no avail. The first week is always the hardest. I often attribute it to shipping stress and collection (often cyanide collection). Its awful especially with a pricy and beautiful fish.

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@i cant think you need to change my mind. Yk I love your Magnificent. And that’s one of my dream fish. But I went to TSA the other day and I saw a gorgeous Foxface Lo. I want that Magnificent but that yellow on the Lo is just $$$$$. So idk now which one I want I was so set on the Magnificent but every time I see that Lo! So to everyone which one do you think is best and should be my next move. @i cant think…..don’t try to change their minds too much :squinting-face-with-tongue:
1670119982263.png

1670120101439.png

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back