OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly use other fish like wrasses and butterflies for that yellow colouration. If you see most of my tanks, the fish I have as my main ‘showy’ fish is usually the one with whites or reds/pinks. Here’s my 4’ and 3’x2’ tanks (The 3’ was previous to my 4’ tank and in my garden shed).
1AD139FA-ACFD-4219-9F67-9E047B81A54B.jpeg

C462909E-E48C-4266-8492-1D8143C27676.jpeg

I agree with the yellow being eye catching, which is why I have it in some of my secondary fish like my iridis, but I will admit I’m biased to the wrasses and gobies (which is where most of my yellows come from). If I went for a mostly yellow fish though, number one on the list would be a Forcipiger longirostris for that unusual look but again, butterflies are a weak spot with me.
If I were to look at your tank the first thing I think I would see would be the red wrasse or the CBB. It’s that initial strike of color I’m looking for.

plack44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d consider adding more flow low but above the sand see how close you can get. Doesn’t need to be an expensive pump right away but something to move it there.

I’ve done a Deep Sand Bed. I think wrasses love it and it looks okay. I think a thin one cleaned more often is better.
I never cleaned mine then had issues it got hard in spots.
Maybe consider cleaning it a little monthly.

If you hate socks but can’t afford a roller yet an option a thought is daily removing small floss squares.

Then You mentioned lighting and wanting G5.
Ever considered clones like.

Smatfarm LED?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly use other fish like wrasses and butterflies for that yellow colouration. If you see most of my tanks, the fish I have as my main ‘showy’ fish is usually the one with whites or reds/pinks. Here’s my 4’ and 3’x2’ tanks (The 3’ was previous to my 4’ tank and in my garden shed).
Honestly I just like a color bomb. You should see my coral plans.

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mentioned lighting and wanting G5.
Ever considered clones like.
Smatfarm LED?

Yes……but it’s a clone. Well really I would like to see it in action and people‘s reviews. I’m really looking for that sps dominant and mixed reef capabilities.

Those look more like AI Hydras rather than Echotech Radions.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Lo is nice but you just have to appreciate the colour change these guys are known for. It’s much more visible on the magnificent as they go from almost totally white to just a completely different colour set. And actually this is how you know when any foxface is stressed, they change colours however their stress pattern seems to be different to their regular sleeping patterns. My magnificent also darkens up depending on how defrosted the food is. I don’t think I’ve ever seen the Lo’s change colour as much as the magnificents do

The other thing is, IMHO the yellow is rather basic as most rabbits feature the yellow colour in mass whilst the only rabbit that feature white in mass that I can think of is the foxface. The yellow in the magnificent still becomes really obvious but I’ve seen my mag show slightly more yellow but also witnessed a slightly more orange colouring.
And last but not least, just look at that face, it matches the rest of the body with the white and looks like a true mask.
A4CA2EC2-2374-46F9-8037-897C4FA96B2D.jpeg

And here’s a front photo of my fox in camo (It’s currently 4:33am for me… I hate dogs sometimes).
A65564B7-2F96-4B7E-BA21-956BF6BA29E3.jpeg
I was about to say it was a bit early over there. I didn’t quite get a photo in time but at night the Lo goes completely white. Mine also changes color far more than my magnificent who never changes color. It goes from very rotten banana to ripe pretty regularly. Though not as much now as it rarely changes from ripe now. (Except at night when it goes white and black camo).
Magnificent though is always the same color except at night. Saying that I do agree the face matches far better on the mag and is just generally prettier. (I call it Swedish designed)
What do you feed that magnificent?
I need to fatten mine up but I can only feed once a day with frozen/prepared foods.
Idk I got it only 4 months ago from the LFS’s display tank and it was already plump.
As I said before it absolutely gobbles down nori and of course it also gets common frozen. I also feed it herbivore pellets. My tanks have a strange lack of algae (so my CUC were dying) so I also rubber band cheato and caulerpa to rocks which it also snacks on but that’s a recent thing.
You could also try a fatty fish. Mine gets eel food scraps which include a lot of salmon.

Attachments

• B2D37B18-CB8D-4679-BB23-48848CDA5F71.jpeg
    B2D37B18-CB8D-4679-BB23-48848CDA5F71.jpeg
    162.1 KB · Views: 21

plack44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes……but it’s a clone. Well really I would like to see it in action and people‘s reviews. I’m really looking for that sps dominant and mixed reef capabilities.

It’s the reviews that made me plan on doing this unless I get some used deal.
I’m still searching for a tank. May have found one fingers crossed.

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now it’ even harder for me to decide on which Foxface. I’m scrolling up and now the nutramar fish food ad pops up and it’s like 8 Mags eating off of it. It’s telling me somethin. This a sign? Lol

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:face-with-tears-of-joy:……Yea you answered that question: “What do you feed that Magnificent?” “Idk”:rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
What I’m trying to say is IDK the secret. He’s greedy and he eats everything but I doubt my diet is why he’s fat. I think I’m just lucky and got a good one. I know a lot of people struggle with skinny foxes.

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s the reviews that made me plan on doing this unless I get some used deal.
I’m still searching for a tank. May have found one fingers crossed.
I’m pretty partial when it comes to lights I get picky. These may turn into the new thing but to me it’s a new kid in town so I can’t really trust it too much atm.

plack44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here in this thread 2 people state the settings they used and like them.
It’s an affordable option rather than going without. At this price a try would be easy to start with.

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I’m trying to say is IDK the secret. He’s greedy and he eats everything but I doubt my diet is why he’s fat. I think I’m just lucky and got a good one. I know a lot of people struggle with skinny foxes.
I understood it don‘t worry lol. Just seized an opportunity to make a laugh.

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here in this thread 2 people state the settings they used and like them.
It’s an affordable option rather than going without. At this price a try would be easy to start with.
But like is it suitable for SPS and Mixed Reef expectations?

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully I can get a chunky one. Already have a problem brewing with a skinny blenny

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back