Lovge tank build thread

Lovge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys.. I know its been a while but Im getting ready to take the dive for my first tank. You all say a great tank cant be rushed so this might take a bit for me to really get things running, however if all goes as planned and its looking pretty good (hope i dont jinx it) I shall be the proud owner of a 29G Biocube and stand next saturday.

I'm pretty excited about it so I had to say something to you all about it. I dont have many details on the included parts and what not so I am sure Ill have a million "what do i do next" questions in the near future :squigglemouth: but i think you all in advance for your knowledge and willingness to help

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Congrats and we're here for you. :)

OP
OP
Lovge

Lovge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks rev, :) Ok so the deal is done and I am picking up my 29G Biocube on Friday afternoon. Very excited like a kid in a candy store. Im pretty sure I am going to have to do some tank modding and im not finding any threads easily on what kind of mods people are doing to make their BC run better.. I do know about getting a better protein skimmer and what kind. However im not sure what lights this tank actually have and much about it aside from it has a stand with it.. and bioballs.. so if anyone could point me in the right direction that would be awesome.

ty in advance :)

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't wait to see how it comes along!!

Chasing the Dream Giver, not the dream! Tonya

OP
OP
Lovge

Lovge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WHOOHOOO!!! got my tank today. need some cleanup pretty bad.. seems to have alot of mineral deposits on back wall and in the overflow areas. Anyone have any tips as to how to get this cleaned up really well? I will get some pics posted of it soon

LILBUDDHA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WHOOHOOO!!! got my tank today. need some cleanup pretty bad.. seems to have alot of mineral deposits on back wall and in the overflow areas. Anyone have any tips as to how to get this cleaned up really well? I will get some pics posted of it soon

Soak the tank in warm water in lots of vinegar .U can scrape a lot off with a old credit card .

Sent from my Moto HD on Jelly Bean

larangcon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats,
Use some algae pads and warm water should do the trick. Good Luck...Post some pictures...

OP
OP
Lovge

Lovge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok got it cleaned up and filled with water and found to my dismay a very very small slow leak in the bottom left seal :(... sigh... so now i got it drained and letting it air dry. Any tips on how to correct this cause that just broke my heart.. I was going to let the wifey keep her freshies in it until i have everything i need to get the salt setup running which will take some time anyway, but now its just a useless tank.

OP
OP
Lovge

Lovge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1624.jpg
IMG_1627.jpg
IMG_1629.jpg

ok so here she is... im not sure how to handle the leak in the bottom left side.. do i strip all the internal silicone out or just spot fill the area on the outside where the leak is coming out?? it is a very small and slow leak but its a non useable tank as she sits :(

OP
OP
Lovge

Lovge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
another thing that has me ???? everything i have seen or read so far talks bout 3-4 power buttons for the lights.. my hood only has 2 button.. one controls the white tubes and the other controls the blue tubes.. however there are 3 blue led's that if i plug in their power cable they seem to remain on 24/7 with no way to control them. is this just a really old model or am i missing something?

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had to do this but I would think scraping all the internal silicon off of it and re-siliconing the whole bottom would be the best plan of action.

Those LED's are most likely moonlights and they just stay on.

OP
OP
Lovge

Lovge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Brandon :)

since I have the week off this week for spring break I think I'm going to just strip the entire tank down into pieces and reseal the entire thing. This will also allow me to get a really good scrubbing in the overflow part since my forearm thickness doesn't really let me get in there. Thanks again for the input.

Just noticed you live in Nashville.. My brother is the head trainer for the Predator's :p

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lovge

Lovge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SAM_0003.jpg
SAM_0004.jpg

ok its time to take apart and reseal that leaky tank. I just want to get an approval that this stuff will work fine so i have to wait untill u guys ok it.

OP
OP
Lovge

Lovge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok the Silicone II was not ok to use in the tank from everything i read.. it doesn't say a word on the tube about "Bioseal" additive but everything i have read including the GE sealents site says it is in there. got Silicone I, couldn't find it in black at either Lowe's or Home Depot so im going with clear... sigh.. ill prolly have an odd contrast on the seal for the back wall but ill figure out a way to hide it. Just wiped it out with alcohol a few times and letting it dry/air out then headed in with some tape for the edges, cause if the Silicone is going to be a diff color it better at least look clean. Ill get a pic or 2 up later after i get it taped and coned.

Ty again everyone who has given me some guidence on this. *NOTE* Acetone will get you high and make your lips go numb and doesn't really do much to help u get off that residue so if your doing this just keep scrapeing. A wet/dry vac makes a tremendous difference in getting the debris out as your scrapeing.

OP
OP
Lovge

Lovge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank has been resealed.. my first time every with a calking gun so my seams are not that smexy but they are straight.. i went quite a bit heavier on the silicone than i needed to i believe and ill be finding ways to hide the back seams with some aquascaping in the future but so far this tank is now holding water.. just started a slow leak check and will continue over the next few hours to do so.
SAM_0005.jpg
SAM_0011.jpg
SAM_0013.jpg

OP
OP
Lovge

Lovge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. It was defiantly alot of work but now the tank is holding water with no issues it was worth it :). Its ben full with the pump running since last night so i think its time to drain and wipe it clean. The wife is going to use it to keep her feeders in it until i can get everything else i need to make it a reef tank (sand rock salt media basket ect..)

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

OP
OP
Lovge

Lovge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so i finally have relocated my biocube to a more permanent home and convinced my lady to get her feeder fish out of it. Now i need to begin my journey :). Have to reclean the whole tank in prep for converting from fresh to marine. Any suggestions here? Just vinegar and water? After my cleaning then the rock salt and sand will get ordered so i can start my cycle. Ill prolly keep it a fowlr tank for about 6 months after the cycling is complete. At what point should i consider my cuc and im planing to use all dry rock unless someone can reccomend a good place to pick up 1 live piece to seed the others. Getting excited again to see this project actually start. Its been a long wait :)

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 66 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back