low alk with new tester

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recieved my Hanna alk tester, and it's saying 6.2. My salifert, reads at 8...I performed the test with the Hanna Checker twice, and it reads the same each time. Ca is high also at 550, and Monday I performed a 30 gallon water change, on my 120. I went a bit overboard on that one...but typically I only do 15. so I guess I have to dose alk? I have no clue about this, as usually I run high on alk, and now I am so low. I dont have a sump, no doser, it's all by hand. What does anyone recommend? I am still searching through the threads...
Thank You

or...am I reading this wrong?

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick google found Hanna seem to often test lower than Salifert. Here's a few threads, maybe check them out and see what you should do. Sorry I don't use either test for alkalinity so can't really be of further help.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What colour are you calling the end point on the salifert?

The correct end point is the lavender colour, before it turns pink, if you go to the pink as in the instructions you will be too high...I would trust the Hanna if you are unsure of the salifert, but if you stop at the lavender colour the salifert is a very good test kit, and accurate.

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The correct end point is the lavender colour, before it turns pink, if you go to the pink as in the instructions you will be too high...I would trust the Hanna if you are unsure of the salifert, but if you stop at the lavender colour the salifert is a very good test kit.
I just checked it with my red sea kit. it is that low. Now I have to figure out how to balance this out.

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using multiple tests is a sure fire way to screw up your tank. Pick one and stick with it. Consistency is far more important than any individual number.
so true. I have issues with the Red Sea pro kit, so I threw that out. went with a different red sea kit and salifert. still hard to read. I just did the test again, against my red sea and Hanna is accuate. I am trying to get everything Hanna, for more accuracy

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The correct end point is the lavender colour, before it turns pink, if you go to the pink as in the instructions you will be too high...I would trust the Hanna if you are unsure of the salifert, but if you stop at the lavender colour the salifert is a very good test kit, and accurate.
yes. Lavender

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The correct end point is the lavender colour, before it turns pink, if you go to the pink as in the instructions you will be too high.
That is not correct. When you perform a titration, you go to the endpoint. It's usually just another drop.

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dirty reefing secret is ALL of the test kits are wrong. First the accuracy varies, secondly your testing a very tiny volume of water. Getting a similar test result is what you should aim for, corals can and will adapt to that.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is not correct. When you perform a titration, you go to the endpoint. It's usually just another drop.
What they are saying is that the instructions are actually incorrect. I briefly read in a previous thread and someone seemed to have done an experiment to verify that.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

thank you for the correction ;)

why am I wrong?

This guy did an extremely extensive test, until I see otherwise from a similar extensive test, rather than a simple 'you're wrong' I'll go with @JimWelsh

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dirty reefing secret is ALL of the test kits are wrong. First the accuracy varies, secondly your testing a very tiny volume of water. Getting a similar test result is what you should aim for, corals can and will adapt to that.
the problem, is that 6 months ago, it was like 11. then 8....now 6.2

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it would still be low, is the thing. and red sea and Hanna are both coming up with 6 with that said...I now need to figure out how to fix that and my sky high calcium.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you for the correction ;)

why am I wrong?

This guy did an extremely extensive test, until I see otherwise from a similar extensive test, rather than a simple 'you're wrong' I'll go with @JimWelsh

I didn't give you a simple "you're wrong." I explained why. To quote myself, "When you perform a titration, you go to the endpoint." Any chemistry textbook will agree.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't give you a simple "you're wrong." I explained why. To quote myself, "When you perform a titration, you go to the endpoint." Any chemistry textbook will agree.
Where you are wrong is the endpoint color, which turned out to be the purple more than the pink, according to the test performed.

I mean, you could also simply read through the thread linked to see where you were wrong.

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where you are wrong is the endpoint color, which turned out to be the purple more than the pink, according to the test performed.

I mean, you could also simply read through the thread linked to see where you were wrong.
well that's true. however if Hanna and Red Sea are the same, it's still far too low. right? and with calcium above 500 something is wrong here.

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ca testers are prone to error...so take that reading with a grain of salt.
ok. just frustrating, and now with that reading so low, I have to figure this out. I went to the calculator, so I will use the baking soda method, and try that. I am looking around trying to figure out how to add that to the tank, as I will have to do it by hand. I dont want to do anything too fast

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok. just frustrating, and now with that reading so low, I have to figure this out. I went to the calculator, so I will use the baking soda method, and try that. I am looking around trying to figure out how to add that to the tank, as I will have to do it by hand. I dont want to do anything too fast

0.25 dKh per dose is nice and slow. 1dKH per day is well in the safe zone.

Back