Low cost frag light

bdejong1112o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for options for a low cost LED light i can use for a 20g frag tank to allow for QT and some growth before adding to the main tank. Dont want to spend the $$ for a radion like i run on my main tank for the frag tank that may or may not be a long term setup. Looking for something in the 100 range. Onlu has to penetrate about 12" of water max.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A B.B. will do. Prettty powerful. Prob only need to run it at 1%. Really. (1% dimming range not intensity).

Sobiech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for options for a low cost LED light i can use for a 20g frag tank to allow for QT and some growth before adding to the main tank. Dont want to spend the $$ for a radion like i run on my main tank for the frag tank that may or may not be a long term setup. Looking for something in the 100 range. Onlu has to penetrate about 12" of water max.

Glad you posted this I was about to ask the same question.

OP
OP
bdejong1112o

bdejong1112o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up with this one. Mostly due to the fact that it had advertised full spectrum and included some Red/green LED's in the mix. Also, it was available to ship and get to my house today.

It is way over powered for the application but the alternatives for lower power are slim. We will see how well it works.

LED Black Box light

Last edited:

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Search the used sale section. Lots of good lights going for cheap now that it’s just after Christmas.

Mandelstam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Search the used sale section. Lots of good lights going for cheap now that it’s just after Christmas.

I would, just for safety measures, change the power cord for a quality one and also open it up to see that the grounding wire is actually connected to something. A lot of times it isn't on Chinese electronics and it's only hanging lose inside the chassi.

dgrigor02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me personally I'd suck it up and get same as your show tank. Make acclumation easier instead of coral adjust yet again to different lighting. Equally important to me, that means you will have an extra in case you needed to send one of the show tank lights in for repair or replace.

OP
OP
bdejong1112o

bdejong1112o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me personally I'd suck it up and get same as your show tank. Make acclumation easier instead of coral adjust yet again to different lighting. Equally important to me, that means you will have an extra in case you needed to send one of the show tank lights in for repair or replace.

I have a XR15/XR30 on my list to watchout for. I would like to have a consistent look and functionality when and if i plumb this into my main tank. I have been thinking long and hard about doing that after talking to a guy at the LFS. Super easy to do with a simple overflow and some spinstreams. Should be enough for a 20g side frag tank.

For my immediate need I bought a simple black box led light. Coral arriving faster than the 400+ into my account for another radion! Lol

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s qt. Don’t plumb it.

And if I may, grab a lux meter and test the light. Before you mount it.

At 1% 1:1 color ratio, most of those will give you about 400 par at 12in.
Basically , 100 par is around 6000 lux.
Pulling the lenses will let you move it lower and you’ll still have PLENTY of par power.

OP
OP
bdejong1112o

bdejong1112o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a seneye par meter and will definately get it tuned in before the coral arive. Mounted it on some 80/20 where it sits in the temporary location. Still have to level it out and adjust height etc but coral doesnt get here until next week.

If plumbed into main tank will not be for QT. Would be for staging area for growth and allow me time to plan placement. Plus just want another tank and more water next to me. Lol

Anf FYI, the little yellow tang was not planned, he was rescued from the local petco the other day. Poor guy was paper thin and in an unsuitable environment so he came home with me. Getting fed well, gaining weight and in pristine water now.

20180104_125608.jpg

OP
OP
bdejong1112o

bdejong1112o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So while this light os going to be good for the next month or so I am 99% certain I am going to plumb this tank into the display as a side frag tank. For that I am going to get a radion XR15. This will integrate nicely to my apex since this one cant.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 56 44.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 58 46.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back