Low Iodine and Boron - should I care?

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sent off a water sample for ICP testing to Triton - it came back with iodine at 0µg/l (recommend 60 µg/l) and boron at 3.1mg/l (recommend 4.5ml/l).

I do weekly automatic water changes, about 20-25g on a 275g system. The ICP test was taken 3 days after my last awc. Since iodine in particular is 0, my awc schedule obviously isn't keeping up with my usage. I do have a lot of macro algae and some SPS frags.
Should I be dosing iodine?

FranklinDattein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would most certainly dose it, at least Iodine. I would also look at Iron, because Chaeto is known for consuming lots of I and Fe.

My first Triton test, years ago, was the very first time I payed attention to Iodine. Just like you, Iodine was 0 and I was puzzled. I also do automated water changes, 10% a week and I thought it would allow me to never have to worry about trace elements. I was wrong ;)
For reference, my tank is 200l and heavily stocked with stony corals and zoas.

It got me on a quest to learn the role of trace elements and I've learned this:
- Not only Iodine was consumed faster than WC could replenish. Iron, Strontium, Potassium and Boron were also depleted
Iron was depleted only when I was using Chaeto.

- Iodine: My tank is mostly SPS with a lot of zoas at the bottom and eventually healthy zoas would shrink and die, for no reason. I thought it was some hard to see pest, but it turns out it was Iodine deficiency. I haven't lost a single one, since I started maintaining Iodine.

- Boron: I was told it helps maintain red colors and it seems to be working for me.

- Potassium and Strontium: Blue and purple SPS seem to only keep their natural color, when this parameters are spot on or slightly elevated.

I hope it helps.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back