Low Nutrients Advance

G’sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys am looking for some advance on increasing nutrients. My tank is close to 3years old and I’ve always measure basically zero on my Hanna checkers, even when I had an algae outbreak. I have lots of corals but currently no fish because of an outbreak, going through a Fowler period. I’ve tried dosing NeoPhos & NeoNitro but I think it was the cause of my algae outbreak.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why no fish?

Keep using the brightwell stuff until you see a change on your meters.

You need to muscle through the algae outbreak and remove and clean as much as possible.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to dose most of my tanks with both phosphorous and nitrate. Recently I had a doser go out and was forced to dose by hand. It got the exact same amount (12ml) but instead of spread out evenly over 24 hours it got it as one or maybe two doses a day. So what my point? In that time I had a massive GHA outbreak in a tank that had been dead nuts stable for over ten years. Might be worth a try spreading out your doses or dropping the 100-200 for a multi head dosing system.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use coral food to boost your nitrate and phosphate, there’s plenty of various brands.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys am looking for some advance on increasing nutrients. My tank is close to 3years old and I’ve always measure basically zero on my Hanna checkers, even when I had an algae outbreak. I have lots of corals but currently no fish because of an outbreak, going through a Fowler period. I’ve tried dosing NeoPhos & NeoNitro but I think it was the cause of my algae outbreak.
Show us a pic of the tank. Don’t fix summit that ain’t broke.

OP
OP
G

G’sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a pic, light are just coming on so nothing is really open.

Attachments

• IMG_4202.jpeg
    IMG_4202.jpeg
    145.6 KB · Views: 44
OP
OP
G

G’sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why no fish?

Keep using the brightwell stuff until you see a change on your meters.

You need to muscle through the algae outbreak and remove and clean as much as possible.
I must have gotten velvet or ich so now am fishless to try to get rid of it. So are basically saying am going to get the outbreak no matter what but start dosing anyway?

OP
OP
G

G’sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to dose most of my tanks with both phosphorous and nitrate. Recently I had a doser go out and was forced to dose by hand. It got the exact same amount (12ml) but instead of spread out evenly over 24 hours it got it as one or maybe two doses a day. So what my point? In that time I had a massive GHA outbreak in a tank that had been dead nuts stable for over ten years. Might be worth a try spreading out your doses or dropping the 100-200 for a multi head dosing system.
Well when I was dosing I only was doing 5mil until I would start seeing an increase. I was taking it really slow, then I got an GHA outbreak.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My algae outbreak has long passed, I have little to no algae now. But when I was dosing I had a huge outbreak of GHA.

I'd keep dosing then or just add something like vitachem as a coral food.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t dosed since that outbreak which was probably late last year sometime. Does vitachem increase nutrients?

Vitachem will provide a source of nitrogen and phosphate and you can soak dry fish food in it. If you use excess, that will just go into the water and to the corals.

QuickrdenU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m gonna be the first to say it. You’ll probably have issues forever with that little rock. I’m by no means an expert, but that looks sparse. I don’t remember having this type of issue when we all had rock walls…

QuickrdenU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to mention, there is nowhere for the fish to hide/sleep. It wouldn’t surprise me if they always battled ich. As nice as the aquascape looks to us… well it’s not about us.

OP
OP
G

G’sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to mention, there is nowhere for the fish to hide/sleep. It wouldn’t surprise me if they always battled ich. As nice as the aquascape looks to us… well it’s not about us.
It’s about 90lbs of rock. My tank was pretty friendly until I recieved the last shipment I got. I added a tang that was getting picked on but before that no problems with aggression for almost 3 years. Had 18 fish at one time.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back