Low odor stand paint

arctictwist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost done building the stand for my 180 and im thinking about paint. I did a search but didnt find anything this specific. My stand, and tank are in the basement and the only way out is a set of stairs. I have to paint it inside and dont want it to stink up the house. Anything out there that will protect the stand and be low odor? This would be for the wood inside/frame of the stand. Ill be skinning it later on. Thanks!

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know about smell but water resistant is what my main concern was at the time. I went with this stuff.

Attachments

• C4C7A42D-B453-45B5-B7D7-9B0ADD968320.png
    C4C7A42D-B453-45B5-B7D7-9B0ADD968320.png
    390.7 KB · Views: 37

Vsrt17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost done building the stand for my 180 and im thinking about paint. I did a search but didnt find anything this specific. My stand, and tank are in the basement and the only way out is a set of stairs. I have to paint it inside and dont want it to stink up the house. Anything out there that will protect the stand and be low odor? This would be for the wood inside/frame of the stand. Ill be skinning it later on. Thanks!
I'm in the same situation, did you find anything that you were able to use inside your basement?

OP
OP
arctictwist

arctictwist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same situation, did you find anything that you were able to use inside your basement?
I did, ppg has a low voc enamel. But it was 85 a gallon after my dads store discount. So i passed. Im just doing 3 coats of kilz and then a latex porch and patio paint. Ill give that like 3 coats in the base and 2 on the rest.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used Killz oil based low VOC before for painting/sealing stands. It can still get a little strong if you apply a lot of it but it holds up decent to an occasional salt water spill. If it gets exposed to lots of saltwater it will peel off. If its got high water exposure I would consider an epoxy like pond armor that is low VOC and reef safe once its cured.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back