Low PH

melbournedan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, running the seneye for temp and ph monitoring, its showing a super low PH (6.4). Surely that can’t be right, is this a misread ? i double checked with a crappy API kit and it tests fairly normal ,at least a 7.8 ? any insight would be helpful. thanks
5C367EB8-67B7-4C46-B654-69BEF9C9A9D0.jpeg
D1716E1E-49A4-4A84-95C1-60C876EF2BFA.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, any pH reading measured with any device that is below about pH 7.4 is almost certainly test error except in unusual situations, such as you just dumped in a lot of vinegar or muriatic acid.

OP
OP
melbournedan

melbournedan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lfs in Adelaide stopped carrying seneye due to number of complaints
yeh makes sense. i’m not completely turned off yet, the wifi setup is more annoying than it should be but i have it for temperature monitoring and par. but in saying that, you pay 500 bucks to set it up, you’d expect it to work, right ?

OP
OP
melbournedan

melbournedan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, any pH reading measured with any device that is below about pH 7.4 is almost certainly test error except in unusual situations, such as you just dumped in a lot of vinegar or muriatic acid.
thanks for that. 100% haven’t doesed anything that would cause the ph to lower. but just in case what ph test kit gives a decent reading ?

wonderphil-reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeh seems that way. how often did you have to calibrate and what did you use to do so ?
I was just using whatever PH low and high calibration fluid the LFS had, one I use to use was the same as the apex uses, I was doing that about 2-3 times a month at which point I questioned what I was doing.

mckinney0171

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what kit would you suggest for ph
I like Salifert for pH. My problem with probes (Neptune gets the most hate from me because their equipment is so expensive) is they drift over time and are notoriously hard to calibrate. I have a degree and consider myself of moderate intelligence. But I always had issues getting apex probes to calibrate correctly. At this point I don’t worry about pH because my house has co2 and I can’t do much about it. But salifert is quick, easy, and reliable.
what kit would you suggest

OP
OP
melbournedan

melbournedan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like Salifert for pH. My problem with probes (Neptune gets the most hate from me because their equipment is so expensive) is they drift over time and are notoriously hard to calibrate. I have a degree and consider myself of moderate intelligence. But I always had issues getting apex probes to calibrate correctly. At this point I don’t worry about pH because my house has co2 and I can’t do much about it. But salifert is quick, easy, and reliable.
will pick up a salifert.

killer2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped chasing the pH number once I started pumping air from outside into my skimmer as well as pump outside air into the room where the tank resides and monitor co2 levels.

OP
OP
melbournedan

melbournedan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped chasing the pH number once I started pumping air from outside into my skimmer as well as pump outside air into the room where the tank resides and monitor co2 levels.
nice one. what are you using to monitor room oxygen levels and what numbers are you looking for when testing ?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back