OP
D3123K

D3123K

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank ? what type of filtration do you have ? . How much rock do you have ? It’s important to have patience in this hobby . I would wait till you are sure you can maintain parameters correctly and steady .your tank will have to mature and properly cycle . Give yourself another week or two . Have you added any bottled bacteria ? What does the tank look like ?is it cloudy or clear .are you using RODI water to make your tank water and for your evaporation replacement water ? . BRS supply has helpful videos on you tube that I would encourage you to watch as you go .
its a 15gallon aio tank it had a filter sock but i went ahead and left it out for the first cycle. Ive had the live rock and sand in there for 3 weeks and the shrimp for 2 weeks. I havent added any bottled bacteria. its been clear. yes i have a rodi system but atm im using the salt water from my LFS to raise my salinity. i was planning on buying tropic marins pro reef salt mix next week to start making my own salt water. i have actually been watching the BRS ultimate beginner series since day one it has been very helpful

Attachments

• 20230909_145209.jpg
    20230909_145209.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
D3123K

D3123K

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank ? what type of filtration do you have ? . How much rock do you have ? It’s important to have patience in this hobby . I would wait till you are sure you can maintain parameters correctly and steady .your tank will have to mature and properly cycle . Give yourself another week or two . Have you added any bottled bacteria ? What does the tank look like ?is it cloudy or clear .are you using RODI water to make your tank water and for your evaporation replacement water ? . BRS supply has helpful videos on you tube that I would encourage you to watch as you go .
oh and im using the shrimp method for my first cycle

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its a 15gallon aio tank it had a filter sock but i went ahead and left it out for the first cycle. Ive had the live rock and sand in there for 3 weeks and the shrimp for 2 weeks. I havent added any bottled bacteria. its been clear. yes i have a rodi system but atm im using the salt water from my LFS to raise my salinity. i was planning on buying tropic marins pro reef salt mix next week to start making my own salt water. i have actually been watching the BRS ultimate beginner series since day one it has been very helpful
It would be beneficial to have a small powerhead flowing toward the rock and somewhat facing upward to creat a slight surface agitation for proper gas exchange .also I personally would dose a bottled bacteria like microbactor 7 and maybe go another two weeks with another shrimp then check to see that ammonia stays at zero and your other parameters are steady and within proper range . You will more than likely go through the uglys and it will be perfectly normal . When you do put fish and CUC in just make sure you size them for your tank and do it one at a time checking every few days to make sure the biome in the tank has built up enough to handle the waste from the feeding and excrement of each fish you put in . Remember slow and steady is the key to success . Good luck and enjoy :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back