low salinity

  • Thread starter Thread starter rayn
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Joined
Mar 25, 2014
Messages
3,355
Reaction score
2,383
Location
Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ran through my tests on my 40b with no sump. All was good except salinity. It came back at 1.030 per refractometer. I know I can raise it by topping off with saltwater, is there to much per day?
 
1.030 s.g. is higher than ideal not lower.

I would do a small water change and top off with fresh DI only.
Get it down to 1.027-1.028 s.g., wait a few days then repeat to get it down to 1.024-1.025 s.g. which is what most reef keepers target.
 
Hi Ryan,

Whenever my salinity was low, I replaced my top off water with saltwater, of the desired salinity, over days or weeks until I reached the level I wanted.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 11.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new