Lowboy Frag Tank, what do I need?

Teylem27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up a 50 gallon Lowboy Frag Tank, already have a light (Reef Breeder photon 32 pro). Any suggestions for heaters, frag racks/egg crates, and other things I would need? Also I have two Tidal 75 HOB filters that I had on my planted tank before, I cleaned them out and used alchohol. Would I be able to use these for filtration for the frag tank? Are they good enough? We have avoided a sump because we were nervous of cutting the glass since low boys are hard to find in our area. Thanks!
image.jpg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the Tidals will work great on a frag tank. The Eheim Jagers are great unless you want to run an Inkbird with a pair of titanium elements (this is what I use). For frags the sky is really the limit - there are several companies that offer "tiered" frag racks and a wide assortment of customization options. There's also egg crate. The only other thing you need are wavemakers, and I'd run one along the bottom under the frag racks to keep any detritus (etc.) from building up and to reduce your maintenance. You'll also want some trochus and turbo snails.

Upvote 0

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you decided on a overflow design or brand?
I think I’m going with these on the inside,
C25BBAEF-1A82-48B1-8EA2-D7F9C5491082.png
then I’ll build a box on the outside for a herbie drain.

Upvote 0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back