Lta torn foot

jorge0912

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will it make it great color opens good my freind decided to trade me an acan head for an anemone as it was killling all its coral.. I have a good home for him with stable water quality ...
the problem is it has a tear on its foot that I know some anemones don’t survive a tear will it make it...
had a bad experience with one once but I think that one was just bleached and dying when I got it
Here are some pics of him

0DD7831D-3D44-4215-8FBD-E5097CB5ACCA.jpeg

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More pictures

160DA9F8-2086-4F6F-A214-34E56938369A.jpeg

FD6494A3-58C3-4D68-8F18-5FD497E3C4E3.jpeg

FC5C2855-FF68-44CD-A595-9C15DE4A31AC.jpeg

9F6A7D8B-89AD-4BA8-B33F-E15D47434B5B.jpeg
LTAs are tough little buggers. I have rescued quite a few with torn feet, the trick is to keep them in sterile water and use Cipro for 10 days if you can. If you cannot get antibiotics, then good clean water is best. The foot will heal really quickly if you can keep a bacterial infection from happening.

If you use cipro, there are a few ways to do it, but I do 250mg per 5 gallons and normally use a 5.5g tank. Change 100% of water every evening and then redose the cipro. Do that for 10 days.

No cipro, same thing, except you will not be adding antibiotics.

A long time ago, when everyone called them "Curly Ques", Everyone that I ever saw had a torn foot. We used to put them in their own tank, and apply Neosporin to the foot daily. Most of them lived just by doing this. I will not suggest that now, as I am not sure if neosporin is still the same as it used to be.

There is always, put it in the tank and pray. I am not a fan of this, but if this is the only choice, you will notice the nem degrade before it just melts. It can be removed at that point and not nuke the tank.

OP
OP
J

jorge0912

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully it makes it as at the moment I don’t have a quarantine tank :/
Cipro where can I get that I have a 75 gallon for it

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully it makes it as at the moment I don’t have a quarantine tank :/
Cipro where can I get that I have a 75 gallon for it
Cirpo is Ciprofloxacin. It is a prescribed antibiotic. Some vets will write you a script for it and then you can order it off Chewy or even go to one of the local drug stores to get it.

As for doing it in a full on tank, that is not good. It would need to be done in a QT, as I am not sure what it would do to a bio filter in a full tank. Especially at the dose I use in QT. 75 gallons of water would be 15 250mg pills crushed up every day with 75 gallons of water changed a day.

If you do not have a QT, place the nem in a clear tupperware container with no lid and a few inches of sand, in lower flow of the tank, and keep an eye on it. LTAs generally bury in the sand and snuggle up to a rock. So the tupperware container is the rock, so to speak, and the sand allows for it to bury its foot and feel safe. Also, you will be able to see the foot if needed to check on it.

OP
OP
J

jorge0912

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so I have to put sand in the topper wear and hopefully it makes it :/

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so I have to put sand in the topper wear and hopefully it makes it :/
In short, yes. Note that the nem may crawl out of the container and move elsewhere. If you have one with a clear lid, you could drill holes in it and the lid and that would keep it contained for inspection of the foot.

Also, you do not have to put it in the container, that is just a method I have used in the past if I rescued an injured nem and already had on in my QT.

OP
OP
J

jorge0912

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay thank you lol I know u told me already :) but just making sure there is a possibility it may not make it rigth

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how it looked on the tank

12C0171C-1655-4EE9-AC19-324E811CCD4F.png
Just watch it to make sure it does not deteriorate.

The mouth is also a little more open then it should be, but if it is burying its foot, it will be. The mouth of an LTA should be tight. It may also appear as a flat slit or have a little pucker to it. Kinda like it is blowing a kiss lol.

Also, watch for it to deflate. LTAs generally stay inflated, even with lights out. They may reduce their size some, but if the tentacles get all stringy and the mouth is gaping, that is not a good sign.

Keep us updated though, as That is a good looking LTA and I hope it makes it.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it came from your buddy's tank, I assume it's an established nem. It's got good color which means a healthy population of zooxanthellae. Therefore, I don't think it needs Cipro treatment because that's typically for fresh imports. Just keep an eye on it but I think it'll be fine. The tear doesn't look very big and mesenterial filaments aren't protruding.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also. How does the mouth look now? If it was just planting it’s foot or had just expelled waste, it will look like that.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My BTA managed to get under/pull-off / I have no idea etc. my cover on one of my powerheads and he tore nearly in half.... all the way to his mouth that was ripped open. His color stayed good, I actually sliced holes/openings in a plastic bucket and put a rock in it, and "hung" it in the tank, and once he healed shut a decent amount, released him in the tank..... he is pretty much good as new a few weeks later, and he was REALLY chewed up. Pulled pieces out of the powerhead, found chunks of him, etc.....

They are resilient if they can still 'feed' with light etc..... he never lost his color. I didn't do any antibiotics or anything though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jorge0912

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He did not settle down on the place I dug for him I figured he moved till he got here he’s been there for a while but had not gotten stuck to anything

166FD2EB-FC60-4DE1-8369-A798D41EDFEF.jpeg

A6C39391-8CD8-4CCA-B2D7-E281B73E52EE.jpeg

OP
OP
J

jorge0912

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you and yeah I left it alone sosnce I first put It in the tank I am just scared it will never stick :/ I know I should wait to feed anyone any advice how long I’ll post pictures later of it on its color

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back