Lubricate Your Refractometer

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the article. My 10 year old did his yesterday. Luckily, he is already a WD40 fan.

ryan quave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I soaked mine in some vinger overnight as they where very stiff form years of salt then oit some oil on it. Came out like new

zer0salinity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed that the hinge would rust over or get contaminated with salt over time due to capillary action of the salt water mixture entering the hinge. This is where I would move the clear lid around a little and press down firmly against the crystal to get a reading. I've also ventured off into the digital refractometers as well since I like to read a digital display, but nothing beats old school refractometers.

LJLKRL05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rinse mine with fresh water after each use. Hinges have not gotten sticky yet.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright al ready it . I'll do it! Think a tiny drop of very fine machine oil would be Ok?

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't drop it on....too much......put the machine oil in a small cup and dab it on with a toothpick or finishing nail or something similar.

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent video @WhalesLovePineapple . For those more visual, highly recommend watching this video. You captured a couple points that are more easily shown in the video then with words on a page.

** The stiffness of the hinges, and it not swinging freely.
** Lubricating the hinge points.
** Showing how easily the hinges should swing back and forth after lubrication.

Again, excellent! Thanks for sharing. WATCH THIS VIDEO!!!!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I rinse the sensor part in RO after each use bur since going digital, I rarely use the Refractometer

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I know some of you are thinking I'm a nut case. Well, I am

We should all be licensed card carriers of this motto doing what we do.

My refractometer is stiffer than a board so I ran a brush along it and tried to work some of the corrosion out which moved it from “bad hip” level down to “bum knee” level. Never considered lubricating it like I would a firearm or tool, and I’m not sure why. Going to do this today as I actually calibrated yesterday, will post

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didnt think that this matters, but.....

Just cleaning mine, will see after lubrication, but i have habbit if calibrating every time i check salinity....

And, to my suprise, calibration is the same using ro water and salifert solution, not sure why is that, but when i calibrate at 35, and clean refractometer, then use rodi water, it says 0..... Vice versa, when i calibrate with rodi at 0, solution says 35.....

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just cleaning mine, will see after lubrication, but i have habbit if calibrating every time i check salinity....

And, to my suprise, calibration is the same using ro water and salifert solution, not sure why is that, but when i calibrate at 35, and clean refractometer, then use rodi water, it says 0..... Vice versa, when i calibrate with rodi at 0, solution says 35.....
Mine doesn’t, it’s miles away, about 4ppt from memory.

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dang! You calibrate every time? I do mine maybe once a year!!

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is why I love this forum. Was totally ignorant to the calibration fluid. I always wondered

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, every time, no real reason for that i assume, but, it cant hurt, so why not....

I have really old refractometer, 10 years is in my hands, bought it second hand, i know its time for a new one, but....

So i like to calibrate it every time, once a week i check salinity, not too much of problem....

Yes, it reads the same, salifert solution, and ro water..... I guess i can try to measure aquaforrest sample solution from ca kit, that is also labeled 35ppt....

I will see what reads in that case.....

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back