Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Scrubber_steve , you've sparked my curiosity! How do you know the salinity of the NSW? This will vary dependent on location, time of year, incoming or outgoing tide, rain/runoff, etc....you just don't know what you have
i collect water onshore from the open ocean off shellharbour (Pacific ocean -Tasman Sea). Other than possible rain run-off I don't believe there is any significant variation when collected in dry conditions (35ppb). In any case I have a bottle of the water & use that each time.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never thought of this, but it is a great tip! Living in Alabama, I don't think I'll be able to bring myself to use WD40 or people will think I'm a redneck. I'm going to be more civilized and use white lithium grease spray. Its a much better lubricant for most applications.

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never thought of this, but it is a great tip! Living in Alabama, I don't think I'll be able to bring myself to use WD40 or people will think I'm a redneck. I'm going to be more civilized and use white lithium grease spray. Its a much better lubricant for most applications.

Hey! What's wrong with being a redneck? You're living in the right place. :cool:

"There's no place I'd rather be than right here, with my redneck, white socks and blue ribbon beer."

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use stuff called "Frog Lube" on my refractometer to lubricate it. (It's made for guns, but it's non-toxic). It also protects it from salt water as well.
Ok, but won't that give you warts;)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I clean mine after each use and it looks like day one. I call it preventative care.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently noticed this on mine. I'd have to tap the top to get it to make even a clear reading, accurate or otherwise. I used vegetable oil though and a manual workout and seems to have done the trick, at least for now. Once calibrated it used to remain dead on for a long time, then I found I was having to re-calibrate every time I looked at it. When the line itself was no longer even clear I finally figure it out. At least with the constant calibration it doesn't look like I was ever off by enough to matter, other than irritation :)

Don't use vegetable oil for this, it can go rancid and cause other problems and a smell. Mineral oil or, as @redfishbluefish does, WD40. ;)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks KJ.

Something else hit me about refractometers that nobody ever tells you.....Whatever light source you use to calibrate your refractometer, use that same light source to do your measurements. That is, if you use natural sunlight to calibrate, use it to do your measurements. If you use a fluorescent bulb in a light fixture, always use that. Similarly, with an LED light bulb. And finally, if you're using an incandescent light bulb, stop now, unscrew that antique, throw it in the trash, and replace it with an energy saving LED. Never calibrate with one type of light source and measure with another light source. Wavelength matters!!!
OK - Hmmm - I just checked my refractometer using the same solution in several different light sources - it doesn't change. Im not sure this comment is true. If the type of light were truly a deciding point, if you took the refractometer and put it in daylight, then pointed it an an LED, then pointed it at a fluorescent then pointed it whatever it would change - but it does not.

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK - Hmmm - I just checked my refractometer using the same solution in several different light sources - it doesn't change. Im not sure this comment is true. If the type of light were truly a deciding point, if you took the refractometer and put it in daylight, then pointed it an an LED, then pointed it at a fluorescent then pointed it whatever it would change - but it does not.

From Dr. Randy Holmes Farley:

Refractometers and the color of light used: important!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Thanks - its an interesting article - Just doesn't make any difference with my refractometer (I have no clue why it doesn't) - maybe the technology is improved in 4 years. Try it with your own refractometer and report back:)... Mine does not change 'at all'. Now - perhaps the issue is calibrating with a different light than the light you are using - but even still - it should change if you use different light (or what am I missing:))

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I clean mine after each use and it looks like day one. I call it preventative care.

This - The instructions that came with mine say to make absolutely sure that the refractometer is cleaned, etc. IMHO adding oil is as likely to add 'problems' to the measurement. I liked the article btw - but - if my refractometer looked like yours - I would buy a new one... rather than lubricating it.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Brew, I bet you already knew what an Aperitif glass was and have drank from one! :D:p

Great article and thread! I actually bought a new refractometer a few years ago because I couldn't figure out how to lube the pin. I did figure out how to adjust the lid to make it work but it was hard and wasted a bunch of time. I'll drag that old one out, lube it up and donate it someone in the reef club that needs one!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brew, I bet you already knew what an Aperitif glass was and have drank from one! :D:p
People don't know what they are? :eek: How do you serve a proper formal dinner without getting the taste buds ready? o_O

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People don't know what they are? :eek: How do you serve a proper formal dinner without getting the taste buds ready? o_O

First time I ever saw one was my grandfather drinking Drambuie at a fancy restaurant.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 60 33.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 32.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back