Luck be a Lady

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15681655549476096347227222275619.jpg

As do most, I also have mine labeled for ease...

Todd_elb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here’s my current setup. Just to show what my rocks are now. Standard 29 gallon. I will be transferring these to the new setup. I really want a branchier piece but I’m not sure I could find anything like what I want at the lfs. Finding a way there to peruse is in order one day. Mayhaps when it’s my anniversary (the tenth) I can talk hubbs into a trip there. Rocks in different angles just to show what I have to start with. I really love the one on the right, in front of the barnacle. Which has to also go cause the blenny loves it

14D46C39-3EED-42D3-B8E0-A2351578C4B0.jpeg
B1C5C7F0-05A5-4998-9AEB-65875BDE8EE8.jpeg
95FAC48A-B705-4E55-A873-15F1A4F9029A.jpeg
2C7F1401-4594-4E6E-9548-713E2043B435.jpeg
976B29B2-8187-4327-A99B-D894ED7F1073.jpeg
EC959C69-FA44-4BC0-9877-9871C0C417D9.jpeg
Looks good can’t wait till I get coralline to grow in mine

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I know I said that I was going AI but I found a member here who has a Current USA loop system. I’m hoping to get that, simply because it would help a fellow member, and I already have the e flux wave pumps I plan to use. I also have an orbit marine light that can be added to supplement if I need.

Today’s agenda is to work more on an art project. Part of my commission, and a little bit closer to said light. Other than the waiting game, there’s not much going on as far as this setup goes. Have the spot all ready for the tank, and just gathering equipment.

So far I have
2x 660 Eflux Wave pumps
1x orbit marine light( will only use as a supplement)
200 watt heater ( think it’s a sun sun.)
Premier aquatics Venturi skimmer

So far I think that’s it!

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I know I said that I was going AI but I found a member here who has a Current USA loop system. I’m hoping to get that, simply because it would help a fellow member, and I already have the e flux wave pumps I plan to use. I also have an orbit marine light that can be added to supplement if I need.

Today’s agenda is to work more on an art project. Part of my commission, and a little bit closer to said light. Other than the waiting game, there’s not much going on as far as this setup goes. Have the spot all ready for the tank, and just gathering equipment.

So far I have
2x 660 Eflux Wave pumps
1x orbit marine light( will only use as a supplement)
200 watt heater ( think it’s a sun sun.)
Premier aquatics Venturi skimmer

So far I think that’s it!

The current orbit lights are a gamble. And you will be limited in coral selection. I would get a 2nd heater as well. Heaters are I the top 3 for failures. The 2nd will be your emergency backup. And it should also help keep them both running at lower levels and extend their lives.

Off to a great start

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The current orbit lights are a gamble. And you will be limited in coral selection. I would get a 2nd heater as well. Heaters are I the top 3 for failures. The 2nd will be your emergency backup. And it should also help keep them both running at lower levels and extend their lives.

Off to a great start
Thanks!

Yeah I know the IC lights will limit me. I’m ok with that. I want easy corals that won’t be too demanding. At this time we can’t sink over $250.00 in a light. And from what I have been told the Prime would also limit me.

What size heater do you suggest? In my fw tanks I run a 100( on a half filled 29) and a 50 ( on a half filled ten). I have a 100 and the 200. Both are not high name brands ( Sunsun and Top fin) but are accurate. I want to get either Eheim as it’s a brand I really trust or Cobalt. That will be in the future of course. And, while it’s on my mind, where is the best place to sit said heaters in the sump?

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic spam cause we all love pics.

First up, the art I’m working on. Not a close up right now as it’s still in the early stages. I’m liking how it’s coming along though.
09AF7D2E-9607-447D-A154-5EBECBE645FB.jpeg

Second, my 29 reef, which is the temporary holding cell until the 70.2 arrives. Still no word on that but it’s probably from them being backed up. I can wait, I’d like to have the lights first anyhow.
CD0D5C38-A57C-4D2B-BD85-99F5E0A4E1C2.jpeg

Third my half filled ten with my platinum guy. He’s such a beggar.
E3AFE0C6-B5D9-4EFA-826C-EE08ECDB0277.jpeg

Last but not least, my 29 with the pallis. You can see all three ( I lost a male) chowing down up front. Dweeb the hermit is around somewhere. Can’t wait to get him out of here. Daughter needs to hurry along with a setup for him. He’s dumping poo in the water causing cyano :/ and I just noticed a leaf in the water I gotta pull out.
C11CFB81-EF14-4B74-B410-F937D917C7B7.jpeg

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a heater you want 25 watts of heater for every 10 degrees of ambient temperature per 10 gallons you need to raise the temperature.

It is 70 gallons? Say the house is 69* F you want about a 200 Watt heater. I usually double up with two full size for redundancy.

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a heater you want 25 watts of heater for every 10 degrees of ambient temperature per 10 gallons you need to raise the temperature.

It is 70 gallons? Say the house is 69* F you want about a 200 Watt heater. I usually double up with two full size for redundancy.
Yes it’s total 70 gallons. Our house stays closer to 72. However in the winter it will be cooler as our heat is kerosene and only on during the day. So I think two 200 watts set to 76? Should be fine. What brand do you prefer?

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it’s total 70 gallons. Our house stays closer to 72. However in the winter it will be cooler as our heat is kerosene and only on during the day. So I think two 200 watts set to 76? Should be fine. What brand do you prefer?
I run two (redundant) 150 W Cobalt heaters in my 45 gallon. I only need one, but have had too many failures over the years. They run on an Ink Bird Controller (inexpensive) and the heater thermostats are never used. Only the Controller turns them on.

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got an email today to agree to the inspection. So should be within a week or two. In the mean time I give you.... waterbox micro!
2B04F32A-D414-4978-A086-0494C0788535.jpeg

Just kidding, just kidding. The anticipation is murder though ( this little tank is quite worthless otherwise hahah. )

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomorrow seems like the best fitting day for delivery of this tank, as it’s also my dads birthday. This will be my second year without him here. There’s so much going on in my life right now that I yearn to go speak with him and just lay it all out. Since this setup is dedicated to him, I think it’s a fitting place to just sit and watch and unload my burdens. It’ll give me that listening ear.

I’m praying it is delivered without any issues.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomorrow seems like the best fitting day for delivery of this tank, as it’s also my dads birthday. This will be my second year without him here. There’s so much going on in my life right now that I yearn to go speak with him and just lay it all out. Since this setup is dedicated to him, I think it’s a fitting place to just sit and watch and unload my burdens. It’ll give me that listening ear.

I’m praying it is delivered without any issues.
I have my pooch watching over my reef. It adds an extra meaning to it all. Love this idea.

Good luck with the delivery! No murphy's allowed!

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does, doesn’t it?

I’ll update as soon as I hear something. Tracking updated Saturday and none since so the anticipation is murder lol
Go sit at the door and stare at the doorknob. That usually works for me.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey that art work looks amazing. Cant wait to get it!! But the reason y I'm posting is bc I agree with my caveman, whichever heater you get, get 2. And never rely on the internal thermostat in the heater. Bc if it fails in the on position the damage may be done by the time you realize. Always use a separate heater control. I use a reef keeper lite (I've have it for years ) but it works awesome. I can set it to turn on and off within a half degree and the back up will come on at a half degree lower than the primary(which never comes on unless the first one fails) just a thought. The do sell some fairly cheap heater controllers. I gotta ask my dad what controller he uses. I believe it's finex titanium heater which I also use. And have never had an issue with it. And I believe the ground on the heater acts as a tank ground as well.

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey that art work looks amazing. Cant wait to get it!! But the reason y I'm posting is bc I agree with my caveman, whichever heater you get, get 2. And never rely on the internal thermostat in the heater. Bc if it fails in the on position the damage may be done by the time you realize. Always use a separate heater control. I use a reef keeper lite (I've have it for years ) but it works awesome. I can set it to turn on and off within a half degree and the back up will come on at a half degree lower than the primary(which never comes on unless the first one fails) just a thought. The do sell some fairly cheap heater controllers. I gotta ask my dad what controller he uses. I believe it's finex titanium heater which I also use. And have never had an issue with it. And I believe the ground on the heater acts as a tank ground as well.
I do hope you enjoy it :)

Yes I’ve thought of Finnex. Never heard of the reef keeper. Will look into that one too. I really enjoyed the one I had (Big Apple) but I couldn’t safely use it on any aquarium as it was a terrarium one, and it was on my hermit crab tank. Super accurate though. I wish they had that brand with the waterproof probe.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefkeeper was a controller like the Neptune now. But back from when they first started. Reefeeper is no longer on business but theres alot of people out there with them still.
As for the heater. Dont buy a glass one if you can. I prefer the titanium ones myself. Bc nothing can crack them. If something falls on the glass one or they get too hot they can crack and allow stray voltage into your tank... that's how my first tank crashed.

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning, when I checked tracking on the tank it no longer said the delivery date. So at 8:00 I called the company. She told me to expect a call today by two to setup delivery. Its scheduled to be delivered tomorrow between 12 and 1 so that’s exciting! It’s finally happening! A couple days past dads birthday but his favorite phrase is constantly in my head: “It be’s that way sometimes, baby girl.” I feel he’s kinda watching over this build :)

Tomorrow I’ll update with photos as it’s coming off the truck. Got the screw gun all ready for inspection.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back