OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always fun to add equipment! Congratulations on the skimmer! :)
Thanks! I didn’t know I’d be so excited for something so gross. But here we are. When I was looking at in a minute ago I could smell it. “Ah, skimmate.” Lol.

I had read some reviews on this skimmer and got really really worried. It’s a used one and was given to me for the cost of shipping. People said it was very loud. I’ve not noticed any noise from it, especially with the cabinet closed.

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Less than a day and already a lot less cyano. I wish I had taken a before photo. Oh well. Here’s today.
28AEFD1C-B331-4BC5-AA77-98F74B4C7C50.jpeg

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning shots. I dumped the skimmer cup yesterday which was green. It’s more brown today and seems to have slowed. Will be pulling the little bit of hair algae off between my few zoas which are opening more today. Hopefully they recover. The palythoa and euphilia are doing very well. It’s already more open this morning than normal. It’ll open throughout the day but usually it’s not this happy. I had to toss the chaeto in the display, I stole the orbit marine light for my 15 gallons because I had to shuffle lights when one went out. My plants don’t seem to mind so much the blue but hopefully it’s just a temporary situation.
248F5334-766A-487E-B54B-7F855D67F798.jpeg
E09152E7-2C1D-4C53-BB80-304D50B199AF.jpeg
A8400FB1-CCB3-41AB-BE3D-D84C91C7F7EB.jpeg
D2CEC3F6-31C6-4424-8597-FF8F29A0BF18.jpeg
99735978-E391-42F6-97C3-BE0E87567CB3.jpeg

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a small update today. Did a waterchange yesterday, my skimmer is almost dialed in. Hoping today to redo my little 15 with my fancy betta. I need to redo the 29 as well, but the whole setup just makes me sad. My female pallifina is not feeling well. I’ve had her myself for about four years, and her previous person had her around two or three. She’s getting up there in age. Has a tumor on her caudal, and it affects her swimming a little. She’s still fat and does eat some. I’m heartbroken, thinking my best girl is close to the end of her days, hoping for just one successful spawn with the new male.

Enough babbling, here’s a few pics of the tanks.

4A6C9534-24A8-4599-B56D-36F95A0D8F74.jpeg E9072F19-FF38-414A-B417-9DB666707228.jpeg 20CC4062-9530-4F69-ABCA-8D2BABEDF853.jpeg 73C8F916-3B74-4D2C-92C8-33E23D2F5AC8.jpeg

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So now I have about six pieces of glass propped up in the top of the tank. I’m over there checking out my skimmer cup, seeing if I need to turn it up or down, ect. Everything’s fine. Fed the fish some decapped baby brine shrimp, everyone was eating away. Sit down. Look up at the tank and notice only one of the clowns swimming about. Wondering where the other one is, I get up. She’s on the floor. I pick her up and she’s still moving, though she’s been there long enough to be a lil sticky. My house is dry so I dunno. Anyhow she’s alive and seems well. She is favoring her right pectoral just a little. Ahes not clamped and I do t see any scrapes. Wouldn’t you know I have no money for a lid. So now I guess I’m off to find more commissions to order a top for the tank.
5E823744-5404-42D3-AE52-CC20B4E6E2EA.jpeg
ED9A67B6-5A05-43E1-855A-E92EA64FD690.jpeg
2BDDFD29-4889-4E65-BDC5-60C11F01EF9A.jpeg

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any plexiglass around the house? If not you can get some at Lowes or Home Depot and just set it on top of your tank until you can get a cover. Thickness won't matter as long as the piece or pieces cover the tank for the time being. You can also use regular plastic screen as long as it's clean.

My female did the same thing except she was going after my hand. Jumped right out after my hand. Good thing I was paying attention and put here right back in.

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any plexiglass around the house? If not you can get some at Lowes or Home Depot and just set it on top of your tank until you can get a cover. Thickness won't matter as long as the piece or pieces cover the tank for the time being. You can also use regular plastic screen as long as it's clean.

My female did the same thing except she was going after my hand. Jumped right out after my hand. Good thing I was paying attention and put here right back in.
I don’t, but I am in the process of getting some commissions going hopefully. I can get some egg crate cheap enough for now maybe.

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad u noticed and did what u could, hopefully the pectoral fin will heal itself in time... the rocks are cleaning up nicely.
Thank you! Yeah she’s still sassy. Her mate was like “OMG are you ok?!” Shake shake shake. And she was like “Dude, I’m well enough to kick your butt, go on!” Lol.

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice save on the Clown. Scary stuff. Bad enough when we lose a fish, but when they are paired it can be heartbreaking.
Thanks. Yeah I have my fresh tanks covered well, as I’ve lost some expensive wilds due to jumping. I was hesitant to have this one open out of habit. Well, it’s going to be covered in some way now definitely.

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah the joys of fish ownership.

Today I was a little bored. So I go to the waterbox, and start to dust off the rocks since I’ve got diatomsor whatever growing all over. Dumped the skimmer cup, pulled some algae off the zoas and moved the frammer since I upped the whites in the lights a little.

While doing this, I had this wonderful idea, that it’s high time to get the land hermit out of my 29 display with my pallifinas. He was dirtying up my tank just a little too much and my pallis didn’t need the extra stress. So once I was done with the waterbox, I got the ten gallon ready for the crab. His sand is in an acrylic tank, and moving him was super easy. He’s molting so probably didn’t even realize he was moved. However, my dumb self forgot to shut the canister valves, creating a siphon break. No biggie, I could add water and use gravity. Easy peasy.

Except it wasn’t. The motor is knocking and I cannot get it to start. So now my beautiful 29 is filterless and my fish are stressed. Thankfully a friend is going to send me a sponge filter and an old canister that may or may not work.

All because I needed to move a crab that isn’t even mine.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ah the joys of fish ownership.

Today I was a little bored. So I go to the waterbox, and start to dust off the rocks since I’ve got diatomsor whatever growing all over. Dumped the skimmer cup, pulled some algae off the zoas and moved the frammer since I upped the whites in the lights a little.

While doing this, I had this wonderful idea, that it’s high time to get the land hermit out of my 29 display with my pallifinas. He was dirtying up my tank just a little too much and my pallis didn’t need the extra stress. So once I was done with the waterbox, I got the ten gallon ready for the crab. His sand is in an acrylic tank, and moving him was super easy. He’s molting so probably didn’t even realize he was moved. However, my dumb self forgot to shut the canister valves, creating a siphon break. No biggie, I could add water and use gravity. Easy peasy.

Except it wasn’t. The motor is knocking and I cannot get it to start. So now my beautiful 29 is filterless and my fish are stressed. Thankfully a friend is going to send me a sponge filter and an old canister that may or may not work.

All because I needed to move a crab that isn’t even mine.

If I understand your situation correctly it sounds like you aren’t able to prime your canister filter. Is the canister filled up as much as you reasonably can? Do you have a small pump to force water into the “in” tube of the canister filter?

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I understand your situation correctly it sounds like you aren’t able to prime your canister filter. Is the canister filled up as much as you reasonably can? Do you have a small pump to force water into the “in” tube of the canister filter?

it loses the priming, not due to auction but the impeller will stop. I’ve checked the shaft, it’s smooth and free of anything. It still has magnetism too. Just seems to want to work when it wants and not when needed. If I use the quick disconnects to lower the flow, it’ll start to rattle and lose priming. I’ve checked for leaks ect.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 36 53.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 55.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • None.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.0%
Back