Luck of the draw.

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had my tank cycled with dry rock, added a bunch of cured kpaquatics liverock, then a small CUC, then corals and more cuc. Had it fallow from fish for about 6 months to be safe with any pest from the liverock and corals. During this time I noticed small tufts start to grow which im pretty sure is bryopsis, a little turf algae, small bubbles of green bubble algae, and a few patches of dictoya. I even noticed some other macros I did not ID but figured I was going to be in for a battle at some point and would scrape and rasp a little with every waterchange.

Well a week ago now I transferred my fish over finally. 2 clowns, a blue Hippo, a tomini, a Melanarus wrasse, and a lemonpeel angel. Within the week any algae is about 95% gone! Even the dictoya, basically eradicated! I see both tangs and the angel picking at rocks constantly so not sure who to be praising but someone did a nice job.

On a side note the lemonpeel has not a good choice. Within 2 days sps PE gone, some with white flesh and missing polyps, zoas remain closed, and candycanes shriveled. Took 3 days but finally caught her and she is now living in the basement tank of extras where all new purchases go prior to a qt. Within 24 hours already I'm seeing improvement in my corals. Hopefully it's the tangs and not her that were responsible for eating all that algae. I do have a minute amount of cyano that I never had in the previous 6 months, I'm thinking this is from crazy overfeeding luring the angel into a bait trap took a lot more food then I would have liked.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like progress! Don't sweat it if the zoas are slow to open. Sometimes they need time to adjust to new surroundings. They are hardy.

OP
OP
P

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The zoas have been in and growing for months. Already spread way off the frag plug ans everything. It was after the transfer of the lemonpeel that they closed up and havnt opened much.
Got her out yesterday afternoon and today they're peaking out a little but not back to their full glory.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The zoas have been in and growing for months. Already spread way off the frag plug ans everything. It was after the transfer of the lemonpeel that they closed up and havnt opened much.
Got her out yesterday afternoon and today they're peaking out a little but not back to their full glory.
She may have been nippy or just the introduction of so much activity may have freaked them out. Hang in there.
Sleepy Hang In There GIF by Ritter Sport

OP
OP
P

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She may have been nippy or just the introduction of so much activity may have freaked them out. Hang in there.
Sleepy Hang In There GIF by Ritter Sport
Thanks, I think now that she's removed things will improve. She did enough damage to my sps in the 1 week she got evicted lol.

Back