Lump on female clownfish cheek

jp98777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I am new to the saltwater hobby. After months of research and preparation, I found a great deal on a secondhand, established 45 gallon with a 15 gallon sump. It came with 2 bonded clowns, 3 damsels, pajama cardinal, anemone (of which I’m not sure the species; I think a sebae?), and a brittle starfish. I added a scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp and a few hermits.

The other day, after finally getting everything put back together and fish in the tank, I noticed the female clown has a strange lump on her cheek. I’m not sure if it was an injury that occurred during transport or something more serious. I haven’t seen her fight with any of the other fish, other than occasionally bossing the male around. She still eats good and is actively swimming. I tried finding any info online but the forums were all over the place, so I didn’t even know where to start. I took the best pictures I could get and will add them to this post. Thank you for any help in advance!

Picture links:

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its difficult to see - it could be a cyst but also a damage from the first contacts with the anemone or a mechanical damage from something happen before. I´m rather sure that it is not an infectious disease - so just sitt calm and wait.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
jp98777

jp98777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its difficult to see - it could be a cyst but also a damage from the first contacts with the anemone or a mechanical damage from something happen before. I´m rather sure that it is not an infectious disease - so just sitt calm and wait.

Sincerely Lasse
Yeah it was hard to get a clear picture which I guess is good in a sense since it means she’s still swimming good and fast. Thank you for the response, your ideas sound more likely than most of what I was finding online. I will monitor over the following days and update this thread if necessary with more pictures/questions. Appreciate the help! Can't wait until it’s all running smooth so I can start adding corals.

lba4590

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it was hard to get a clear picture which I guess is good in a sense since it means she’s still swimming good and fast. Thank you for the response, your ideas sound more likely than most of what I was finding online. I will monitor over the following days and update this thread if necessary with more pictures/questions. Appreciate the help! Can't wait until it’s all running smooth so I can start adding corals.

Sorry to revive an old post but my male clownfish has the exact same thing. He’s also flashing a bit. Did it ever go away? Did you medicate with anything? Thanks

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 168 62.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 25.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 70 25.9%
Back