Luxeon m

c_healy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured id start a discussion on these leds. I am surprised that there isn't much talk about these.

I just did a build with them and have been thoroughly impressed.

Extremely bright and they give a nice crisp look.

I figured there would be a lot more builds using the luxeon m but to date ive only seen a few.

So what's the reason these aren't being used more? They're a great bang for your buck considering what you get for the price.

Ill post some pics and more about these when im on the computer.

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always looked at Luxeon and Cree like a Mercedes v BMW

Both the Cree XM-L and Luxeon M offer more than respectable efficiency, especially when compared to 3 watt counterfeits.

Photosynthetic Coral Growth is primarily between 420-460nm.

Both the Luxeon M & Cree White LEDs put out a very nice 440-450nm spike along with a close to full spectrum mid range which makes both very suitable for growing coral.

That said both have bins more common in the 5-6K Range.

This is a bit too much yellow and green for my personal taste...Unless compensated with extra Royal Blue and Blue LEDs

This is why I'm still a big fan of the cooler binned 7.5K Cree XT-E. When driven a 700Ma two come awfully close to the efficiency of the Cree XM-L or Luxeon M driven at 1500mA but offer better looks IMHO.

Like a car there are numerous variables: cost, looks, availability, performance, gas mileage, top speed ect that make the better choices personal preference.

Bill

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back