Lymphocystis

Jholli90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, looks like lympho to me. It's good that he's eating, but if he's not swimming well that's not a good sign. Might just be that he never got de-stressed like my Swallowtail Angel did. Is he being bullied? Any chance of QT-ing him?

Other than a tiny goby he's the only fish in the tank. He doesn't have a lot of trouble swimming, just a tiny bit. I have a QT tank that I was about to set up, but I was wondering if it would be less stressful in my main tank since he's basically the only fish and has plenty of place to hide, and I was worried about stressing out when I tried to catch him. But at least I know its lympho now and I can quit putting useless medicine in.

Jholli90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh okay, yeah probably just leave him in the DT and stop with the medicines. Is everything else stable that could stress him? No large pH swings etc? How low are your nitrates?

I check everything yesterday and it was all stable but I plan on doing a water change today. It's been about a week.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this look like a bad case of lympho? He came like this. I've had him about 2 weeks. I've been treating with kanaplex and neoplex with no improvement, actually looks worse. The pic with the blue in it is an earlier stage. Still eating very good, but swimming seems a little difficult bc of the weight on his fins.
20181014_130055.jpg
20181014_125942.jpg

It does look like a bad case of Lympho, but I would continue with the ABX just in case it is actually a bacterial infection.

Jholli90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look like a bad case of Lympho, but I would continue with the ABX just in case it is actually a bacterial infection.

I moved him to quarantine 2 days and gave an extra dose of kanaplex and neoplex. He's had 2 doses since the transfer and is looking better today. I thought he was a goner yesterday, very lethargic and just sat on the bottom.

dochow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you are feeding him high quality food! I will freeze a piece of scallop or clam and then finely chop it up and soak it in whatever your favorite vitamin/supplement for fish is. I freeze it in an attempt to kill any parasite that may be present in a raw piece.

Will go a long way to getting him to heal it himself from the inside out

Jholli90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you are feeding him high quality food! I will freeze a piece of scallop or clam and then finely chop it up and soak it in whatever your favorite vitamin/supplement for fish is. I freeze it in an attempt to kill any parasite that may be present in a raw piece.

Will go a long way to getting him to heal it himself from the inside out

How long should I soak the food? And also, will freezing for a short time help? Bc with sushi and wild game (I eat a lot of both lol) they recommend freezing for at least 3 weeks to ensure death of any parasites/pathogens.

dochow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually just freeze the scallop when I get it, not sure the science of how long you need to freeze it. Probably overkill to even freeze it, but I just do it anyways. It also makes it easier to chop into small pieces.

I usually soaked in Selcon for a couple minutes before feeding it.

Jholli90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually just freeze the scallop when I get it, not sure the science of how long you need to freeze it. Probably overkill to even freeze it, but I just do it anyways. It also makes it easier to chop into small pieces.

I usually soaked in Selcon for a couple minutes before feeding it.

Thank you for the advice. I don't think he had/has lympho. He is getting better with the extra doses of meds.

Walter Gonzalez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I believe I have a fish going through the same thing. Except it’s in his mouth. I read on here that it should be removed with a razor blade. I won’t be able to do that since it’s in his mouth. What do you guys suggest?
965519F3-07E7-4504-8480-3A36845DC0C4.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I believe I have a fish going through the same thing. Except it’s in his mouth. I read on here that it should be removed with a razor blade. I won’t be able to do that since it’s in his mouth. What do you guys suggest?
965519F3-07E7-4504-8480-3A36845DC0C4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Can he still eat?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Walter Gonzalez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that's gonna have to be cut out. Very tedious. It would be best if you could sedate him using MS-222 beforehand: https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/11/fish

I buy mine here: https://www.syndel.com/tricaine-s-ms-222.html

You are going to want to use a scalpel, and remove as much of the nodule as possible. No guarantees, but he'll starve to death unless you try something.

That’s what I was afraid of. Is there anything I can put on it once I cut it off to help in the recovery process? And thank you for your advice.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I was afraid of. Is there anything I can put on it once I cut it off to help in the recovery process? And thank you for your advice.

A tiny dab of Neosporin to prevent infection. You can apply it using a Q-tip.

Walter Gonzalez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tiny dab of Neosporin to prevent infection. You can apply it using a Q-tip.
Ok. So, put him in the ms-222 bath until he is sedated, then gently cut out growth, apply neosporin, then place in recovery bath, then move back in qt until it heals. That sound about right?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

gonefishin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a clown fish after copper that shows sign of lymphocytosis. I know there is no cure for this. Should I try to re-home the fish to someone that is okay with having to deal with it? Just trying to prevent any virus or disease in my main tank. Or is it inevitable to be in my tank? Nothing in DT at the moment.
4ed7d1941fcc00a1a748d03ac2f9c58b.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back