Macro algae in colder water?

seanmckerney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I have been wanting to do a dedicated macro algae nano for a while now and am trying to brainstorm a different fish to house in the new tank, as I already have 2 nanos set up each with a pair of clownfish. I absolutely love blue spot jawfish, but have never kept one due to them being native to much cooler waters, and only seeming to do well in captivity when kept in water below 75 degrees. If I were to set up a tank with a blue spot, I would not be running the tank over 70-72 degrees, so my question is does anyone have experience keeping macro algae in water this cool and does it affect the algae?

reddevilant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have experience with colder water tanks but I honestly don't think that is too cold for macros. Here in NY we get all sorts of macros even in the spring when we have cooler water. You could also try Gulf of Maine (https://gulfofme.com/all-sea-life?category=Macroalgae). They sell a variety colder water livestock and have quite a few different types of macros. Although I don't know what summer water temps are like in Maine and what temps those macros would be used too.

Upvote 0

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't have as high of a nutrient uptake but it is certainly feasible. I keep oysters with my macro in at 72 degrees. Never had a problem. Still had good growth but not over the top
+1
Some hobby macroalgae like Chaetomorpha, Codium, and especially Ulva can be found in frigid California waters (I have never found wild Chaetomorpha though). Tropical coralline algae can also do pretty well at low temperatures. I have successfully kept all of these at room temperature (68° F) with the exception of Ulva since my nutrients were probably too low. Brown macroalgae, though difficult to care for, is also incredibly beautiful in coldwater settings, in my opinion.

Upvote 0

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have brown macroalgae like sargassum? Sorry to hijack. Need it for ghost shrimp breeding
I don’t have any sargassum right now, though places like Carolina.com and Gulf Specimen Marine Laboratories do sell the algae (though the first one would probably provide too much algae while the second has a minimum order cost (only including animal cost)). Could you use plastic plants?

Upvote 0

Eatfrenchfries

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen those sites but didn't seem worth it unless I got a lot. Plastic plants would work but live is just so much better. Do you know if Carolina.com has viable specimens for aquaria? there website says not meant for culturing, has anyone tried?

Upvote 0

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know if Carolina.com has viable specimens for aquaria? there website says not meant for culturing, has anyone tried?
I think this refers to the fact that Sargassum can be very difficult to care for due to its high light and flow requirements. Given this, I am not sure if it would subsequently be ideal for juvenile shrimp which could get blown around. Do you know what shrimp species you are looking to culture?
Plastic plants would work but live is just so much better.
Would green or red macroalgae work? How about seagrasses, if you are okay with a deep sandbed?

Upvote 0

Eatfrenchfries

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have all sorts of macro in my grow out. Red, green, brown. I used to have Sargasso myself until I moved. Since it floated it would provide nice cover for my mollies and ghost shrimps I used for feeding. Starting my breeding/culturing projects up again and I'm just looking to replenish my stock. A lot of the dense, flowy macros work for my needs. Tricks of the trade sargassum works best for this project.

The shrimp are the ones from RUsalty. I don't get a lot of yield but I have enough variety for my pets that I feel it improves quality of life.

I like sea grasses but deep sand bed in my grow out is a no no. Maidens hair was cool for a while but literally everything eats it.

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back