Macro Algae placement and care

borrowedlight

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have obtained some macro algae for my display tank. I got a 4 pack so I could have some options as I didn't know what I would like better.
I have a codium branch, dark ocean coralline, red razor, and dragon's tongue.
Now I know some people are against putting macro algae in their display tank because it can over grow and what not. That aside, I have a few questions.
I got the little frags in the mail and realized I had no idea what I was supposed to do with them at that point, being the newb that I am. 1.) How and were should I go about putting them in my tank? They are currently just shoved in some random holes in my live rock. 2.) Is there anything else I need to do to get them to start growing or will they just kind of have at it on their own? 3.) Any info I should know about any of those for types from those with experience with them? and 4.) Should I be worried about my cuc devouring them? Not a huge loss if they do I suppose, but I didn't think about it until now. I have some hermits, and emerald crab and a turbo snail.

Thanks for your help!

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read that the dragons breath may be palatable to some fish, but that the others are not palatable.
I've never had any luck keeping any of these macros in my own display however, and suspect they are indeed palatable to something.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@borrowedlight Sounds like you got the same package from ebay I just received this week! I used super glue and rubble rock for each little pc. If it was the same source, I was very impressed by the size and selection. I have a display refugium and just got more rock to add. I'll be placing them on rock or on the substrate, not burying them--read one forum post where the guy had problems doing that. I'm currently scouring the internet looking for placement info as I got that same package as you plus some others from the same guy. This is the pic so far. Tomorrow I have to redo all the rockwork to put in my new rocks.
20170412_183553_resized.jpg

OP
OP
borrowedlight

borrowedlight

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably is the same guy, haha. I was also impressed with my shipment. If these go well I might order other varieties.
And thanks for sharing what you did. I think I'll try the super glue on rubble route as my method just ended up with the little pieces free floating. I have a clown, firefish, chromis, an emerald crab, turbo snail and several hermits so far they have all left the macros alone. Hopefully it stays that way!

Let me know if you find any online sources for placement as I was having a lot of trouble finding anything as well.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@borrowedlight It was saltwatertechnologies, right? I plan to order more as well but looking for different kinds as it is a display. Just added my new rocks so I'll post when water is clear <g>. What I've found so far is the red macros stay redder lower from lighting but the gracilia (sp?) grows faster closer. Codium like flow so branches move once it is attached to rubble or rock. Haven't found everything yet. I put the dragon tongue on the bottom, everything else mid to top until I can get more info. Put some of my macro in a suction cup like for showers in my main tank until I get my plumbing done.

Not sure on what cuc will eat. I'll bet the ones like narsaurius won't but not sure about algae eaters or hermits

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what I've got and where I put my stuff, not that you can see all of them. The dark ocean coraline is on the top somewhere Tank is still cloudy from tearing it apart
20170415_183720_resized.jpg

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am new also, and I like the idea of an added bio-benefit from what I read on macro. We have a tiny 8 gallon with no livestock yet. (We were told at a lfs the 8 gallon would be a great starter tank) can anyone send info or link on the eBay seller? And what glue is best to use?

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Katrina71 I used just super glue gel, just the pure stuff, not any sort of mix. Gorilla glue makes it and there are others like locite. Cheap at walmart. The seller on ebay is http://www.ebay.com/usr/saltwatertechnologies?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754

I'm super happy with what he sent.

I'm not sure I'd ever go that small a tank. Small tanks are way less forgiving of any sort of problem or issue than a larger tank but it also seems the new thing I've always gone for the largest I could afford. But it also ends up costing more <g>

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think the lfs was saying it was a good starter tank for that reason. My son was in love with the pico/nano look. I guess we'll see how it works out. We are going very slow with our cycle and won't over stock.

OP
OP
borrowedlight

borrowedlight

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Susan Edwards yes, it was saltwatertechnologies. I'm happy with my shipment as well. I lost the coralline but that was my own fault, everything else is doing well. @Katrina71 I used epoxy to fasten mine down and it's looking good, I think super glue gel is probably the better option. I was thinking of starting a pico tank for my desktop, so good luck!

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Susan Edwards yes, it was saltwatertechnologies. I'm happy with my shipment as well. I lost the coralline but that was my own fault, everything else is doing well. @Katrina71 I used epoxy to fasten mine down and it's looking good, I think super glue gel is probably the better option. I was thinking of starting a pico tank for my desktop, so good luck!
You need to! They are so fun to watch.

Will Milberger

Aggie Aquarist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Katrina71 I used just super glue gel, just the pure stuff, not any sort of mix. Gorilla glue makes it and there are others like locite. Cheap at walmart. The seller on ebay is http://www.ebay.com/usr/saltwatertechnologies?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754

I'm super happy with what he sent.

I'm not sure I'd ever go that small a tank. Small tanks are way less forgiving of any sort of problem or issue than a larger tank but it also seems the new thing I've always gone for the largest I could afford. But it also ends up costing more <g>

All I saw was a blank page from him. Weird

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just clicked it and got his page. I clicked to see what he had for sale and there isn't anything but I was able to get his info

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 36 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 31 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 27 22.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 20.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back