"Macro-Safe" Inverts

Stomatopods17

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 29, 2022
Messages
640
Reaction score
637
Location
US
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While there's a lot of tales and experiences online for corals and inverts, I never see any topics regardling macroalgae safe ones, such as caulerpa and dragon's tongue.

Do we know if typical scavenger shrimps such as sexy, bumblebee, peppermint, etc hurt macro algae?

What about ones not typically reef safe such as camel and sharons?

We can only make guesses based on their typical behavior (ex; filter feeders likely wont, harlequin shrimp absolutely won't, predators don't go vegan, etc) but has anyone actually witnessed their inverts attack or eat caulerpa, chaeto, mangrove roots, etc?
 
In my experience, sexy and peppermint shrimps don't touch my Macro Algae.

(kept caulpera, gracilaria, botryclaydia)

These non reef safe shrimps are probably more likely to touch other inverts and meaty items before macro algae imo
 
I have 4 types of hermits and a red fiddler in my softy/algae pico. They dont show any interest in my caulerpa, dragons tongue, or gracilaria. Cant speak on anything else. Ive also tried to keep them pretty well fed for the most part
 
While there's a lot of tales and experiences online for corals and inverts, I never see any topics regardling macroalgae safe ones, such as caulerpa and dragon's tongue.

Do we know if typical scavenger shrimps such as sexy, bumblebee, peppermint, etc hurt macro algae?

What about ones not typically reef safe such as camel and sharons?

We can only make guesses based on their typical behavior (ex; filter feeders likely wont, harlequin shrimp absolutely won't, predators don't go vegan, etc) but has anyone actually witnessed their inverts attack or eat caulerpa, chaeto, mangrove roots, etc?
Will keep you updated. I have just purchase a boatload of ornamental macros for a damsel tank I have. However, I want to raise cool inverts as well so we have - urchins, hermit crabs, chocostar fish, and coral band shrimp. Will observe who snacks on em.
 
Will keep you updated. I have just purchase a boatload of ornamental macros for a damsel tank I have. However, I want to raise cool inverts as well so we have - urchins, hermit crabs, chocostar fish, and coral band shrimp. Will observe who snacks on em.
Hi, how did it go? What inverts did you choose? Started a macro and seagrass tank also so now looking for my cleanup crew.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 42 31.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new