Macroalgae and copepods

airvicconcre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I am new to the marine hobby and I’ve setup a 150g tank back home in India. I am in the USA traveling for a couple of weeks and I was wondering if anyone could give me some advise on Macro Algae and copepods. We don’t get these items in India hence I plan to buy live copepods and macroalgae if they can survive a 36 hour flight back home to India. I don’t want them to die before I reach. Any help is appreciated. :)

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
welcome aboard the r2r board! the transport of copepods and even macroalgae is the same as shipping. make sure the Styrofoam box is well cooled or heated. make sure the container has some air inside of it.

i personally have never transported corals or live goods for more than just an hour or four, so i cannot help any further than this..perhaps those who have shipped live things before can help more.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
airvicconcre

airvicconcre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello.
I would double check you can bring it through customs
Honestly, customs is not what I’m worried about. That should be just fine. I wanted to check if the algae and the pods would survive that flying time in the luggage. Please advise.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
airvicconcre

airvicconcre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome aboard the r2r board! the transport of copepods and even macroalgae is the same as shipping. make sure the Styrofoam box is well cooled or heated. make sure the container has some air inside of it.

i personally have never transported corals or live goods for more than just an hour or four, so i cannot help any further than this..perhaps those who have shipped live things before can help more.
Thank you for the reply. I read in one of the treads on r2r and the replier was from reef nutrition, he mentioned that Trigger pods from their brand can live unrefridgerated hence I’m very optimistic but still wanted to confirm. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks again.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
airvicconcre

airvicconcre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• D94ECFDD-F993-450D-A641-2884587C1F5B.png
    D94ECFDD-F993-450D-A641-2884587C1F5B.png
    265.6 KB · Views: 40
Upvote 0

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would double check you can bring it through customs
Agreed. I’m thinking it’s going to be very hard or not possible being as they are live animals and regulations are very strict on anything that’s alive and I’d ask permission first/see if you need any paperwork. Also you have to declare it because if you don’t it will be confiscated and it’s illegal not to.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As long as customs/legality is not an issue, I think they would survive, at least the Macros. I have received Macro algae in the mail that took a few days to arrive. Usually there is a little die back, but they bounce back.

If possible I would purchase a couple of types of algae just to improve the odds of success.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Upvote 0

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I am new to the marine hobby and I’ve setup a 150g tank back home in India. I am in the USA traveling for a couple of weeks and I was wondering if anyone could give me some advise on Macro Algae and copepods. We don’t get these items in India hence I plan to buy live copepods and macroalgae if they can survive a 36 hour flight back home to India. I don’t want them to die before I reach. Any help is appreciated. :)

Welcome! Glad you joined.

Pods are tough - absolutely will survive trip. My preference is @Reef Nutrition Reef Nutrition Tigger Pods as they seem toughest and tolerate more temperature swings than many other pods. I would NOT put them in your checked luggage due to serious cold underneath planes, but if you put them in an airplane approved container as part of your carry-on liquids its unlikely they'd be noticed. IF there are import restrictions on these, well ... don't release in wild... definitely just feed to fish!

You can get them live an most USA local fish stores that carry saltwater fish. When you get them home, this thread my help you culture them and keep them going so even though you will be back home in India, you don't need to buy any more:

This might help you find people local to you in India:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
airvicconcre

airvicconcre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T
Agreed. I’m thinking it’s going to be very hard or not possible being as they are live animals and regulations are very strict on anything that’s alive and I’d ask permission first/see if you need any paperwork. Also you have to declare it because if you don’t it will be confiscated and it’s illegal not to.
Thank you for the heads up.

Upvote 0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back