Macroalgae problem!

Reefyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a macro algae (Chaeto) and it was doing great until just recently. I have a small 2 gallon tank for my macro which isn't even half the size of it. I had about a half inch of live and in there as well. I regularly added sodium bicarbonate and nitrogen to keep the algae alive. It was doing great but suddenly deflated and isn't growing. I checked levels of nitrate, nitrite, alkalinity, and ph. I did salinity and temp many times as well and everything was in check. Filter and heater were operational as well. I recently did a 100% water changed as well and did not add sand to the new tank to try and limit unwanted algae growth. Still it is not thriving as it was. There are no other organisms in the tank either. I am a little sad and definitely confused. If anyone has any info or advice of any other tests I can do please let me know thanks!

OP
OP
Reefyyy

Reefyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s your nitrate level? Maybe change your bulbs?
nitrate was at a healthy level for the macroalgae I believe for the research I've done. it was at around a 40 on my testing strips which are EasyStrips. it couldn't be that it was too high though because I've had it past 200 at a point and the plant thrived. (Stem Fair don't ask lol) also i just changed my bulbs a little while ago.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reefyyy

Reefyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You did not mention your phosphate level.
thanks for the reply because as crazy as it sounds at the moment i don't have anything †o measure phosphate which i am looking into now. i am pretty new to macro algae and coral and only started back in last september. though i have learned a lot there is still so much to learn.

OP
OP
Reefyyy

Reefyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also i don't know if it makes a difference because this is what i have always used but i make my own saltwater with 1/2 half cup of reef salt per every 1 U.S. gallon of distilled water.

OP
OP
Reefyyy

Reefyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update! my Chaeto seems to have a translucent green film that connects all the pieces i don't know what it is.. should i be worried about it?

OP
OP
Reefyyy

Reefyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures would be great. It may help us with the problem. Just make sure they are under whites ;)
the quality will be bad but i will include pictures here

IMG_8991.JPG IMG_8990.JPG IMG_8988.JPG

OP
OP
Reefyyy

Reefyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like your salinity is low, can you check it?
yeah salinity is perfect and when i checked the tank it was in before the 100% water change it was perfect too. :( i measure in specific gravity with my hydrometer more than actual salinity because it has a more exact number where as salinity is always kinda between things. my specific gravity before and after was 1.025 which is perfect for coral and macro algae.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 39.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.3%
Back