Macroalgea in a display tank which ones to avoid...

Calmwaters

10K Club member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 25, 2024
Messages
16,786
Reaction score
118,155
Location
Sylva, NC
What state or country do you live in
North Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi R2R peeps. I am thinking about adding some macroalgea to my 125 gallon display tank and would like to see pictures if your tanks have it, or any tips you guys and gals can give me. Any kinds I should avoid? Best ones to try? I do have a chocolate tang and a foxface so it needs to be able to hold up to them.
 
Red macros are usually less desirable to herbivores so they may be your best bet. Caulpera may be one you want to avoid as it can grow really fast and won't be touched by most herbivores since it is toxic when eaten.
Thank you for this!
 
Forgot to mention if you have urchins they will eat everything, so I wouldnt house them together.
Also, I think @Nate Chalk has more experience with macro, he might be able to help more.
I do have a pincushion urchin.
 
I do have a pincushion urchin.
Thats what mowed down my first two pieces, and they weren't even small pieces. Gone in less than a week.
chappelles show dancing GIF
 
Red macros are usually less desirable to herbivores so they may be your best bet. Caulpera may be one you want to avoid as it can grow really fast and won't be touched by most herbivores since it is toxic when eaten.
Only one species of Caulerpa is toxic. However, most species of Caulerpa grow fast and some self destruct (go sexual) when nutrients bottom out.
 
Calm waters,

With tangs, urchins and foxes, I think ornamental seaweeds would not be sustainable.

The dual 55G tanks are seaweed grow out tanks. The top tank is fishless with peppermint shrimp as highest predator.
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 145
Only one species of Caulerpa is toxic. However, most species of Caulerpa grow fast and some self destruct (go sexual) when nutrients bottom out.
Even when nutrients don’t bottom out. Caulerpa is a daily task!
 
I just bought some yesterday!
Why people use chaeto still I have no idea. Pom Pom is so much better! Same growth and nutrient pulling but not a tangled mess. Anyone want some I have to get rid of some 🤣
 
If it has a fuge light, absolutely! Ive seen some beautiful macro sumps. You can even house some non-reef safe critters in there too!
It does have a light its a 55 gallon aquarium divided in the sections. I could turn the middle section into a refugium I would just need to take out some of the rock that's in it currently to have room and make it pretty. Lol
 
Why people use chaeto still I have no idea. Pom Pom is so much better! Same growth and nutrient pulling but not a tangled mess. Anyone want some I have to get rid of some 🤣
It is lovely! I would like some if you don't mind shipping.
 

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new