Made a bad newbie mistake

palvyre

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been troubleshooting issues with a toadstool coral and zooanthids for a month now. This week my fire shrimp died, most my crabs, and all of my snails. After some reading, it appears to be copper related. I had three brass fittings in my sump plumbing, bad mistake. All replaced today and using Cuprisorb in my sump. Hoping things recover.

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tested for copper yet? And have you done a decent sized water change?

OP
OP
palvyre

palvyre

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS was out of copper tests, they have ordered me one. I did a 10% water change today in addition to my other changes. I also have some good quality carbon and I am running a fresh set of that as well.

Stinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about your loss, i know the feeling!! live and learn BUT READ and RESEARCH and stop and think , even about the little things that can cause problems. We as newbies look at the big picture and forget the little things that bite us.

Toombs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mistake's can take a toll but when you learn the hard way you pass on knowledge to other's just starting =) You never know if someone new will come on and read this bf they start they're tank and look over everything. Sorry for your losses but it is part of the hobby and will make you a better aquarist in the end =D

Lokii_37

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I almost made the same mistake. I had my hands on a couple of brass hose barbs a few months ago. Sorry for your loss but glad for the information

OP
OP
palvyre

palvyre

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looking a little better today. A few crabs are out this morning so they managed to recover. A peppermint shrimp was out this morning as well and he had vanished. The toadstool coral has pinked up, but still looks like he is going to shed a few times. The zoas still look really bad, hope they recover.

Worst affected was my gargonian coral, he has lost most of his flesh. I moved him to my isolation tank a few days ago. What flesh was left began feeding again within 24 hours. Hope the flesh regenerates, he has exposed skeleton over about 85% of his body.

OP
OP
palvyre

palvyre

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was reading about polyfilter today. I am already using Cuprisorb and a premium carbon. Will polyfilters add value above that?

OP
OP
palvyre

palvyre

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been 3 weeks. Almost all of my zoas have opened back up. My toadstool leather is still shedding over and over. Last copper test was at .1 ppm. Peppermint shrimp survived, about a third of my blue legged crabs, and one emerald crab.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 20.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back