Made a little mistake

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also get an internal filter that will be inside your tank. Depending on your rockwork you may be able to hide it from sight.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't let the stories online scare you away from a hob over flow. I've ran them for years on a 180g and 150g and have never ever lost syphon or had a flood. The tank shown is the 180g that is still running with 2 hob overflows. 20220821_204752.jpg

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think a pre filter box with just foam outside of the Base would help? I've seen guys do this. I just thought the Biomaster would make it less complicated with the inbuilt pre filter. Maybe a bigger one before it would work even better.
Are you referring to a surface skimmer box or HOB overflow for surface skimming and place the Oase intake tube into the box and just not use the overflow that is used for a sump? You will need a surface skimmer to prevent oils from building up on the surface.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't let the stories online scare you away from a hob over flow. I've ran them for years on a 180g and 150g and have never ever lost syphon or had a flood. The tank shown is the 180g that is still running with 2 hob overflows. 20220821_204752.jpg
I never had a problem with HOB overflow in 7 years now with only a 10 gallon sump just to hide most of the equipment.

OP
OP
S

simplicity

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you referring to a surface skimmer box or HOB overflow for surface skimming and place the Oase intake tube into the box and just not use the overflow that is used for a sump? You will need a surface skimmer to prevent oils from building up on the surface.
I was referring to just another filter box right outside the Biomaster.

for the surface skimming, the lily intake is a surface skimmer. Check it out. It floats with the water level and sucks water from the surface. The Biomaster would still be cleaning the oils as they get sucked into the surface skimming inlet.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was referring to just another filter box right outside the Biomaster.

for the surface skimming, the lily intake is a surface skimmer. Check it out. It floats with the water level and sucks water from the surface. The Biomaster would still be cleaning the oils as they get sucked into the surface skimming inlet.
Very interesting. Where does the water go from the skimmer? Are you using a sump for it?

OP
OP
S

simplicity

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting. Where does the water go from the skimmer? Are you using a sump for it?
The water goes into the Biomaster. The pre filter on the Biomaster serves as the skimmer. That’s why I was saying that some guys add another passive filter on the intake to take care of the mechanical filtration and use the canister for bio media. No official skimmer.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water goes into the Biomaster. The pre filter on the Biomaster serves as the skimmer. That’s why I was saying that some guys add another passive filter on the intake to take care of the mechanical filtration and use the canister for bio media. No official skimmer.
You may not have enough water flow through the Lily to keep up with the pump of the Oase. Have you looked into that?

OP
OP
S

simplicity

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may not have enough water flow through the Lily to keep up with the pump of the Oase. Have you looked into that?
Yes, that is a good point. From what I can tell, the bottom of the pipe in which the skimmer sits has openings so the water gets sucked in from the surface and inside the tank. If I need to, I can always get one of those Eheim surface skimmers for inside the tank.
Check out the lily I’m looking at:

Lily skimmer example

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that is a good point. From what I can tell, the bottom of the pipe in which the skimmer sits has openings so the water gets sucked in from the surface and inside the tank. If I need to, I can always get one of those Eheim surface skimmers for inside the tank.
Check out the lily I’m looking at:

Lily skimmer example
Looks like pipe is big enough to handle the water volume. Sounds like a good idea attaching the Lily to the Oase intake hose. Hope it works for you.

OP
OP
S

simplicity

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the tank and stand. After getting adding most of what I need to the cart (minus RODI, containers, and plumbing), I need to spend another $2500 extra. Jesus this is getting expensive. Having me rethink what I should do... I feel like instead of splicing a freshwater tank into a saltwater one and spending this much on it, I should just make this one what it was meant to be and leave the saltwater for when I get a raise lol.

Vsrt17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend painting the back black, which as you can see is how the marine version is shipped. It will go a long way in reduce the clutter of equipment visible. I would definitely consider using a HOB filter or two. You'll need power heads regardless so tank will always have equipment visible. Also not sure if it would work with your tank dimensions but an AIO diy from Fiji cube or tenecor w but worth a look at.

Vsrt17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It definitely gets expensive fast lol. I decided to build a mixing station thinking it was just couple brutes and some plumbing.... Spent way more than i wanted.

OP
OP
S

simplicity

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then you have to test nitrates, nitrite, ammonia, phosphate, calcium, salinity, magnesium, what else? Have to buy a test for each one. Have to buy dosing liquids.

I would hate having to make the back black since the seals are clear silicone, which would look bad (imo) on a black background. I love the black background with the black seals, but hate mixing and matching.

I couldn’t get myself to hit the go button on saltwater aquarium.com. I asked them if they have any sales, and the guy said they never do… sounds like Sweetwater.com, my other obsession. Don’t get how simple devices could cost so much. A freaking power head is $440!? Why is a plastic sump hundreds of dollars? Literally just a plastic box. Retailers are taking in the money because of this brainwashing that everything saltwater has to be premium and expensive. Plastic anything shouldn’t cost more than $100.

40g

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did the build end up going? Did you end up using the oase? I have a 40 gallon rimless setup with Oase 250 thermo, and thought we'd compare notes. I was searching for threads related to connecting an algae reactor to a canister filter. My co2 and phos are quite high.

To keep mechanical hidden in the display I built a kind of AIO box out of acrylic, this also skims the surface and provides a chamber for phosgaurad or a bag of carbon etc. I usually have some floss in there too.

If anyone knows how to connect a tunze algae reactor to a canister filter, I'd love to hear from ya!

Cheers

IMG_7987.jpeg
IMG_7992.jpeg
IMG_7986.jpeg
IMG_7991.jpeg

IMG_7987.jpeg

IMG_7992.jpeg
IMG_7986.jpeg
IMG_7991.jpeg

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and as my name suggests, I value simplicity. I realize I can’t automate a lot of things in this system because of not using a sump, but I’d like the system to be as self-sustaining as possible. This, for me, means: no more than 1 water change per month, not having to mess with the filters every other day (once a week max), etc. I’ll have to manually dose, I’m so hopefully this isn’t too complicated. The tank is 72 gallons. I hope I don’t sound like a lazy bum, but just want to do this as efficiently as possible ;)
I run a 90 gallon, and I am old school. SO I have a protein skimmer, a very good ( I highly recommend) an Oase canister filter that is connected to a UV sterilizer. My lights are probably the most up to date item I use. The problem most folks have with this type set up is that it requires a bit more maintenance, and therefore, in the long run so people may slack off. But you can indeed be very successful without a sump and or refugium.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 75 45.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 76 45.8%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 15 9.0%
Back