Magic Eraser as a Filter?

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw an article that's probably more myth than reality (I believe everything I read online....)

But, there was this magic wand thing for keeping back yard pools clean. . . Toss a magic eraser in the skimming basket of the pool and the pad fills up with dirt and the pool stays free of algae and cloudiness (dust / dirt).

Got me thinking... What if magic erasers were thrown into filter socks (higher flow areas) or into things like cannister filters (I use a 25 micron cannister filter for water polishing...) Would the "magic" of the magic eraser have any application in filtering our water? or is it simply a dirt collector and the concept is no different than throwing filter floss in a filter cup?

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be a fine filter. It might work better as a bio filter in a slow flow area due to the pore size of the material.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A magic eraser works because it is an abrasive. It doesnt absorb things. It scrubs them off mechanically.

No wand-waving here: The “magic” of the eraser is simply melamine, a nitrogen-rich organic base that in its solid state is a powerful-yet-delicate abrasive. Melamine is a widespread chemical compound, used in everything from dry erase boards to sound insulation on bullet trains to your grandparents’ formica table. Because of its high protein content, it has also been used to inexpensively and illegally fortify foods (which is what happened in the 2008 Chinese infant formula scandal).
Melamine’s unique abrasiveness is what makes it such a powerful cleaning agent. “As a foam, melamine is both porous and hard and acts like an extremely fine sandpaper,” says Jessica Ek, Director of Digital Communications at the American Cleaning Institute. Unlike, say, a detergent that breaks down stains, melamine is actually using teensy air pockets to scrape the stains off.

flourishofmediocrity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A magic eraser works because it is an abrasive. It doesnt absorb things. It scrubs them off mechanically.

No wand-waving here: The “magic” of the eraser is simply melamine, a nitrogen-rich organic base that in its solid state is a powerful-yet-delicate abrasive. Melamine is a widespread chemical compound, used in everything from dry erase boards to sound insulation on bullet trains to your grandparents’ formica table. Because of its high protein content, it has also been used to inexpensively and illegally fortify foods (which is what happened in the 2008 Chinese infant formula scandal).
Melamine’s unique abrasiveness is what makes it such a powerful cleaning agent. “As a foam, melamine is both porous and hard and acts like an extremely fine sandpaper,” says Jessica Ek, Director of Digital Communications at the American Cleaning Institute. Unlike, say, a detergent that breaks down stains, melamine is actually using teensy air pockets to scrape the stains off.
Just searched for this on here because I just watched a yt vid about “5 must haves for cleaning your reef tank” and the “honorable mention” was melamine sponges for reactor chambers and the corners of the DT because it’s gentle enough to not scratch or harm the silicon. I was surprised because I always thought magic erasers were chemical, but I was glad to read this! Amazon has a box of 100 for $25, wonder if it’s worth picking them up, I could use them all around the house!

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not so sure about using something that's described as having a 'nitrogen-rich organic base" in a reef.

Staghorn

Original Reef Gangster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a buddy who owns an aquarium service business, they use allot of magic erasers. By far the best way to get algae from near the silicone in your tank, and also from deep within scratches that you can’t get to with anything else. Completely safe for aquariums

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just searched for this on here because I just watched a yt vid about “5 must haves for cleaning your reef tank” and the “honorable mention” was melamine sponges for reactor chambers and the corners of the DT because it’s gentle enough to not scratch or harm the silicon. I was surprised because I always thought magic erasers were chemical, but I was glad to read this! Amazon has a box of 100 for $25, wonder if it’s worth picking them up, I could use them all around the house!

The original ones are not chemical. I use them to clean an acrylic 7g reef for many years now and never a scratch.

Back