Magnesium

FRANK48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I did a yet and my magnesium is 1110. Is this bad or good, I’m want to start getting corals and also try to eventually grow coralline algae

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use something like this. Dosing instructions for tank size and mag levels are on the bottle
B0BFCCA1-A30B-4779-B4C6-3BD7C71253A7.jpeg

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Retest magnesium as I don’t think a new tank such as yours should have that low of a level. Reread instructions. Normally water changes or monthly dosing on opposite schedule to WC is enough to keep it up

OP
OP
FRANK48

FRANK48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you check your water you put in for water changes what’s the may level? Most salts will have enough. Water changes will bring it up by itself. That’s a better way
Retest magnesium as I don’t think a new tank such as yours should have that low of a level. Reread instructions. Normally water changes or monthly dosing on opposite schedule to WC is enough to keep it up
I’ll do that and get back to you

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started to dose the first time I was testing every morning and night. So I was comfortable with what my dosing did and what happened to the levels throughout the day. You’ll find your rhythm. But test your clean change water to know what impact that also has to your mag levels. Dose to keep the levels in the 1350 levels or so depending on what corals you want. If your new water is low you can add and dose that before it’s added to your tank. Just pay attention to the impact you’re having to your water and I know you’ll be fine and get comfortable with it.

OP
OP
FRANK48

FRANK48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started to dose the first time I was testing every morning and night. So I was comfortable with what my dosing did and what happened to the levels throughout the day. You’ll find your rhythm. But test your clean change water to know what impact that also has to your mag levels. Dose to keep the levels in the 1350 levels or so depending on what corals you want. If your new water is low you can add and dose that before it’s added to your tank. Just pay attention to the impact you’re having to your water and I know you’ll be fine and get comfortable with it.
Thanks

OP
OP
FRANK48

FRANK48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the test again but it’s still 1110

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What water are you using? Do you creat your own salt water or natural sea water?

If mixing own salt look at what its magnesium contents are more than likely 1300-1350

Just do a 50%wc then.

Or can dose magnesium lots out there, red sea, coral essential, and much more. I USE coral essential and have mine sitting at around 1290-1320 only because I use Natural sea water which is 1290 for me.

OP
OP
FRANK48

FRANK48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What water are you using? Do you creat your own salt water or natural sea water?

If mixing own salt look at what its magnesium contents are more than likely 1300-1350

Just do a 50%wc then.

Or can dose magnesium lots out there, red sea, coral essential, and much more. I USE coral essential and have mine sitting at around 1290-1320 only because I use Natural sea water which is 1290 for me.
I use RODI water and mix the salt in
what should my magnesium levels be?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, either the salinity is low or the test is off. Magnesium does not just randomly get low in a new tank.

I agree try your new salt water before doing anything else.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back