Magnifica/Ritteri Anemones and light.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept 4 of these beautiful anemones in my 40 years reefkeeping time. The first I had for many years before I had to break the tank down when moving house. My penultimate one I only had for a couple of weeks managed to find my MP40 and in doing so made a mess of my tank while I was out for the day with all but 4 fish killed. I have since fitted an anemone guard to the MP40.

Magnifica previously known as Ritteri anemones are found from anything from near the surface on the reef to around 40 meters deep.
Colours vary significantly from light beige/ cream to a deep purple. I have not been able to assertain which colours are most likely to be found at what depths. Are the deeper colours found perhaps nearer the surface? If anybody know I would be grateful for any information you may have on this

What I have found through trial and error is many do seem to appreciate some light at least around 6500k which is around daylight. My first of these nems basked a few inches under the surface illuminated by a 250w 5400k metal halide. This seemed to ideal for it and I had that nem with 3 common clowns for many years.

Fast forward around 30 years and I had my 3rd of these nems, the second I also sold when moving house again. However this nem never seemed to do as well butt my previous 2. After much thought I realised the main difference between how I kept my previous 2 nems and this one was the fact I was now using LEDs and not metal halides.

I wasn't about to change my lighting for one nem so I looked around for a supplement light with a similar Kelvin rating to the metal halides I used back in the day. After some searching I found a little cob spot type light of 6500k, a Asta F20 nano of 16w. I bought it and duly installed it right above the nem. It soon became obvious the nem was enjoying the extra light with the Kelvin it provided by opening more as if basking in the light.

Back to my new nem which I bought 4 days ago. I dug out my little cob light and as before mounted it immediately above my new nem. I have this light on for 4 hours a day at present and may extend the lighting period to 6 hours soon. My main lighting in this tank is 2 x Orphek icons and 2 x OR3 120 light bars, a blue plus and a day plus.

Although the nem looked fine under my existing lights I thought I may as well fit the cob spot light anyway. Early days but so far the nem is just fine. I can't be 100% sure it's made a difference but it appears to have a little at least.

Here are a new photos of the nem with the light fitted.

20220428_183641.jpg

20220428_183443.jpg

20220428_183416.jpg

Last edited:

1clownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow!! I don’t have any experience with these anemones but those pics are just stunning!! they are so beautiful it looks like the anemone is in the wild the clownfish definitely adds a spark <3

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love a good Magnifica and find they are light and flow lovers. Almost like Acropora. If they’re bleached, I only let them get about 80-100 PAR until they gain some color back.

merfury1989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept 4 of these beautiful anemones in my 40 years reefkeeping time. The first I had for many years before I had to break the tank down when moving house. My penultimate one I only had for a couple of weeks managed to find my MP40 and in doing so made a mess of my tank while I was out for the day with all but 4 fish killed. I have since fitted an anemone guard to the MP40.

Magnifica previously known as Ritteri anemones are found from anything from near the surface on the reef to around 40 meters deep.
Colours vary significantly from light beige/ cream to a deep purple. I have not been able to assertain which colours are most likely to be found at what depths. Are the deeper colours found perhaps nearer the surface? If anybody know I would be grateful for any information you may have on this

What I have found through trial and error is many do seem to appreciate some light at least around 6500k which is around daylight. My first of these nems basked a few inches under the surface illuminated by a 250w 5400k metal halide. This seemed to ideal for it and I had that nem with 3 common clowns for many years.

Fast forward around 30 years and I had my 3rd of these nems, the second I also sold when moving house again. However this nem never seemed to do as well butt my previous 2. After much thought I realised the main difference between how I kept my previous 2 nems and this one was the fact I was now using LEDs and not metal halides.

I wasn't about to change my lighting for one nem so I looked around for a supplement light with a similar Kelvin rating to the metal halides I used back in the day. After some searching I found a little cob spot type light of 6500k, a Asta F20 nano of 16w. I bought it and duly installed it right above the nem. It soon became obvious the nem was enjoying the extra light with the Kelvin it provided by opening more as if basking in the light.

Back to my new nem which I bought 4 days ago. I dug out my little cob light and as before mounted it immediately above my new nem. I have this light on for 4 hours a day at present and may extend the lighting period to 6 hours soon. My main lighting in this tank is 2 x Orphek icons and 2 x OR3 120 light bars, a blue plus and a day plus.

Although the nem looked fine under my existing lights I thought I may as well fit the cob spot light anyway. Early days but so far the nem is just fine. I can't be 100% sure it's made a difference but it appears to have a little at least.

Here are a new photos of the nem with the light fitted.

20220428_183641.jpg

20220428_183443.jpg

20220428_183416.jpg
I currently have Red Sea 90, and top par range is 340
Would you recommend a supplementary light in this case for Magnifica nem? If so is Kessel better? Or Asta F20? Is the goal here about more Par or spectrum?

Cheers

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have Red Sea 90, and top par range is 340
Would you recommend a supplementary light in this case for Magnifica nem? If so is Kessel better? Or Asta F20? Is the goal here about more Par or spectrum?

Cheers
Yea of the 2 then the Kessil would give you both more par and debatable better spectrum. I changed my Asta 20 for a Kessil 160 which gave a better colour to the nem than the FW Asta.

However, I don't think it made much difference growth rate wise. The nem did excellent under both. If you want growth with more colour then the Kessil is the better of the 2. I haven't taken any PAR reading, I don't own or know anybody local with a PAR meter. IMO Mags do like a lot of PAR at least the ones I have kept probably collected near the surface.

merfury1989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea of the 2 then the Kessil would give you both more par and debatable better spectrum. I changed my Asta 20 for a Kessil 160 which gave a better colour to the nem than the FW Asta.

However, I don't think it made much difference growth rate wise. The nem did excellent under both. If you want growth with more colour then the Kessil is the better of the 2. I haven't taken any PAR reading, I don't own or know anybody local with a PAR meter. IMO Mags do like a lot of PAR at least the ones I have kept probably collected near the surface.
Ah intereting, so for Kessil where do you keep your spectrum?
Also is your 160 Tuna Sun or Tune Blue?

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah intereting, so for Kessil where do you keep your spectrum?
Also is your 160 Tuna Sun or Tune Blue?
I bought it secondhand and itsxz tuna blue. I don't have the spectral controller so just adjusted each knob till I got the colour where I wanted it not too much pop just a little more.
However, bare in mind as well as my 2 x Orphek icons I also have 3 x Orphek reef blue light bars on the tank.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 27 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.1%
Back