Main Overflow Pipe - Worst Part of a GREAT tank

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

LittleMaui

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Red Sea Reefer 450 - EXCEPT the main overflow pipe. I've owned my 450 for 2 years and have replaced the main overflow pipe 3 or 4 times! Each time I find a small hairline crack in the lower threads. The first time I blamed myself for over-tightening the lower pipe. The second time I figured maybe just too tight again. Not sure about the 3rd time. I even order an extra pipe each time. Today, after 5 successfful months - ANOTHER LEAK. I installed my spare pipe. This time I only slightly tightened the lower pipe. Guess it's time to order another spare. Am I the only one this happens to?

Shawn

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Red Sea Reefer 450 - EXCEPT the main overflow pipe. I've owned my 450 for 2 years and have replaced the main overflow pipe 3 or 4 times! Each time I find a small hairline crack in the lower threads. The first time I blamed myself for over-tightening the lower pipe. The second time I figured maybe just too tight again. Not sure about the 3rd time. I even order an extra pipe each time. Today, after 5 successfful months - ANOTHER LEAK. I installed my spare pipe. This time I only slightly tightened the lower pipe. Guess it's time to order another spare. Am I the only one this happens to?

Shawn
I ran into this too. Wound up wrapping the threads in teflon tape to seal the leak.
When i eventually ditched the Red Sea Valve for a standard gate valve i re-introduced the leak. Pulled the pipe, added a little more teflon and stopped the leak again. Never needed to order new pipes though.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine worked fine for over a year then one day I noticed a bunch of salt crust. I took it all apart and put it back together and so far so good, but I ordered another one to have on hand just in case. I agree, the plumbing could be better.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you drain the water out of the overflow to remove the overflow pipe?
Just a length of hose into the overflow and start a siphon to get it mostly drained. pop a bucket or towel underneath when unscrewing the pipe to catch the last bit.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back