Nemo5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3CD92A4A-DC55-4E2E-8639-FB96CC274E95.jpeg
D997CC45-CC30-4A6A-8EEE-18CBB7BB7D4F.jpeg
Hello all , Today is my start up here ! I know very little on saltwater Tanks and I’m learning as I go along !! I have a long way to go , However last Saturday 1/5/19 we bought a 36 gallon bow front and already feel like I’ve dropped a good bit of money per my budget . I have 25lbs of live sand and roughly 20lbs of live rock , I bought a Seachem Tidal 55 running a 3 stage filtration mechanical sponge like , premium activated chemical carbon bag then the bio matrix ! I also recently bought a Seaclone 100 which is more likely going back , I’m personally not digging it but may give it some time ! Now with all good usually there is a bad . My tank consist of conditioned Tap water , please don’t be harsh on me I’m super new ! I live an hr away from the nearest saltwater store and can’t do RO/DI water now ! So I’m on day 4 of my cycle and I hope all is going well just waiting for a diatom bloom if it happens and for the cycle to through . My plan is to do fish /reef tank time will only tell ! There does seem to be a lot of successful Tap Tanks in the hobby for years on end ! Anywho I’ll try to post a picture here now and see what I come up with I’m happy to be here and look to learn a lot from what sounds like a lot of great people !!!! P.S I’ve also threw in a shrimp day two with it in there ! I have done a test too just for a baseline I get ph. 8.3 roughly Ammonia is tough for me to read cause it’s a cloudy milky like , ( I’ll post a pic of it too , cause I may need some guidance ) Nitrite 0 ppm and Nitrate 0 ppm ! Any guidance is appreciated! Thank you !

23E31AF4-1E7A-43EC-9043-12FA15DFA806.jpeg

5C1D5186-5EBC-4922-BC32-15DEEC4BA47A.jpeg

6A3CEC72-9735-4B92-A754-F84659C9A45A.jpeg

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef2reef !!
Don't hesiate to ask questions, also Ive had experience with that skimmer and you should take it back. The stock pump didn't last long.
You can have a successful reef tank without a protein skimmer.

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!

If you really can't spring for an RO/DI unit, I would highly recommend you at least get distilled water from your grocery store for water changes and top off. It will save you a lot of headaches.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! Don't worry, we will never be harsh. We all started out the same as you and understand the learning curve as we all are still learning. I would recommend getting a better test kit so its easier to read. I would recommend the Red Sea marine test kit, it gives you everything you need for a new tank, and its easier to read IMO. Good Luck on the new tank!!!

OP
OP
Nemo5

Nemo5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!

If you really can't spring for an RO/DI unit, I would highly recommend you at least get distilled water from your grocery store for water changes and top off. It will save you a lot of headaches.
I love that idea ! Distilled only correct ? I won’t have to condition while adding I’m assuming being treated already ?!

OP
OP
Nemo5

Nemo5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! Don't worry, we will never be harsh. We all started out the same as you and understand the learning curve as we all are still learning. I would recommend getting a better test kit so its easier to read. I would recommend the Red Sea marine test kit, it gives you everything you need for a new tank, and its easier to read IMO. Good Luck on the new tank!!!
Thanks so much and I’ll take your advise into that ! I agree can never stop learning !! I have a long journy that’ll hopefully be a fun ride

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love that idea ! Distilled only correct ? I won’t have to condition while adding I’m assuming being treated already ?!
Thanks so much and I’ll take your advise into that ! I agree can never stop learning !! I have a long journy that’ll hopefully be a fun ride
I have only been in this awesome hobby since May last year, so technically, I am still a newbie as well, this forum has tought me so much and it will you to. If you want corals I would look into a RO/DI system. It will save you a ton of headaches down the road.

OP
OP
Nemo5

Nemo5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome @Nemo5 to R2R. If you want corals, we'll have to work on that tap water thing. :eek: Again, welcome.
I do want corals !! Hopefully with distilled water changes/top offs we can get it corrected sooner then later ! .68 or whatever for that water can prolly hang Thank you !

OP
OP
Nemo5

Nemo5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef2reef !!
Don't hesiate to ask questions, also Ive had experience with that skimmer and you should take it back. The stock pump didn't last long.
You can have a successful reef tank without a protein skimmer.
Yeah I was in petsmart and seen it I paid 110 for it ! I can definitely get a lot better one for some little added $ , yes after buying it I read reviews and saw some YouTube videos and it didn’t seem to be going in right direction! I’ll definitely take your advice !!!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back