Making it fit

DudeBruh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchased a trigger 34 for my 120g a few weeks ago that I scored for cheap, so I could add a refugium and ditch my undersized sump. Well I didn’t measure twice and.... yeah. Was all giddy about getting a good deal

Need Suggestions on squeezing it in my stand without getting 120 gallons on my floor or 1000+lbs caving in my head hahaha. Could I support the corners with 2xs,remove the center brace and get her in? Or better to frame out door in the side? Open to other suggestions....

OP
OP
DudeBruh

DudeBruh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B6D5365C-3A99-402C-8182-1F5F6BED93A3.jpeg
73D7B354-E7B7-4C56-AA0C-DE4013F6AE0C.jpeg
Wanted to add pictures and measurements for a more accurate response. The rear matches the front center support. And the ends are solid. Ideally would like to remove center support or add door to side. Center support measures 3/4 inch thick by 5 1/4 wide. Top and bottom rectangular frames are 3 1/4 wide by 1 1/4 thick.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DudeBruh

DudeBruh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sides that I’m questioning supporting with 2xs and adding a door through the side is all notched and same thickness as center support
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

OP
OP
DudeBruh

DudeBruh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It fits in the doors width wise. I just don’t have the extra inch to swing it in

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with that stand, being kind of minimalist in build, I would not cut anything out w/out draining that tank, and that is not really a big deal if you drain into brutes, do work, pump water back in.
I would not hack away w/ it full, not worth risk, and I'm a carpenter known to take reasonable risks usually

OP
OP
DudeBruh

DudeBruh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with that stand, being kind of minimalist in build, I would not cut anything out w/out draining that tank, and that is not really a big deal if you drain into brutes, do work, pump water back in.
I would not hack away w/ it full, not worth risk, and I'm a carpenter known to take reasonable risks usually
Not what I wanted to hear but probably what I needed to. Thank you. Wasn’t going to “hack” as shown the notched center post was what I was going to remove and temp place two 2xs a little off of halfway of each door just to make a 17-18 inch opening in to swing it in then reattach the front center support

OP
OP
DudeBruh

DudeBruh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there’s no squeezing it in does anyone have a link to properly build one and Aproximate cost?....The Stands kinda butt butt ugly anyhow..... just really didn’t want to be redoing all this 2 months in.....figured more 1-2 years before redo and possible upgrade.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not what I wanted to hear but probably what I needed to. Wasn’t going to “hack” as shown the notched center post was what I was going to remove and temp place two 2xs a little off of halfway of each door just to make a 17-18 inch opening in to swing it in then reattach the front center support

Yeah I don't mean hack as an insult or calling you a hack, I mean it's an uncomfortable position that will probably end up w/ some love taps here and there or wiggling stuff to get it out, sloppy cuts often come, blades get pinched when weight comes down, kickbacks or binds come w/ that, it's just not an easy position to work in, especially w/ glass and water over your head, which is going to be under it all...uh uh for me!

Your tank will not suffer drained for a period, just have everything ready to make it quick.
I know those stands, they are very minimal and can't be played around with too much, many are just stapled together, does not take much to jack it up.

If you have to cut out that center, don't forget you will lose blade thickness, about an 1/8", so don't cut if possible, or have a new one if you do

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree, unfortunately you'll need drain the DT and move the stand to install the sump.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there’s no squeezing it in does anyone have a link to properly build one and Aproximate cost?....The Stands kinda butt *** ugly anyhow..... just really didn’t want to be redoing all this 2 months in.....figured more 1-2 years before redo and possible upgrade.

I think what you have is workable, just drain tank for safety sake

Build a nice stand when you are ready for upgrade

OP
OP
DudeBruh

DudeBruh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I don't mean hack as an insult or calling you a hack, I mean it's an uncomfortable position that will probably end up w/ some love taps here and there or wiggling stuff to get it out, sloppy cuts often come, blades get pinched when weight comes down, kickbacks or binds come w/ that, it's just not an easy position to work in, especially w/ glass and water over your head, which is going to be under it all...uh uh for me!

Your tank will not suffer drained for a period, just have everything ready to make it quick.
I know those stands, they are very minimal and can't be played around with too much, many are just stapled together, does not take much to jack it up.

If you have to cut out that center, don't forget you will lose blade thickness, about an 1/8", so don't cut if possible, or have a new one if you do

It is indeed stapled. And I knew what you meant by hack just wanted to clarify what was going on between my ears.

Would permanently framing all four corners and adding a cross brace allow for center brace removal? If not I’ll just leave the new sump shelved until I can afford to build a new one...

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is indeed stapled. And I knew what you meant by hack just wanted to clarify what was going on between my ears.

Would permanently framing all four corners and adding a cross brace allow for center brace removal? If not I’ll just leave the new sump shelved until I can afford to build a new one...

If it were mine, I'd drain, pull from wall, take out bracing, put sump in, add new bracing, this way it does not need to look clean and can go fast, that is what I would do.

I had one of those stands myself long ago, they are not terrible, just not real forgiving when it comes to modifications, so I'd keep same basic design

OP
OP
DudeBruh

DudeBruh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think what you have is workable, just drain tank for safety sake

Build a nice stand when you are ready for upgrade

Got ya. How far down would you say to drain it? My LiveRock is two structures so Id like to avoid the rocks recycling during the process for my small stock of fish. The rocks on a pvc base under the sand so moving all that kind of sucks. When I purchased the tank from someone I had the rock out for 2-3 hours to scape and it had a tiny cycle from it. Could definetly see this quickly becoming a 3 hour project haha.

Decking screws are the go to for corrosion/ rust resilience?

Your minimalist remarks have my anxiety already running about its long term stability

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would drain empty, it's best for moving, then slide it out, it should not do any harm other than some sponge dieoff, no big, expect a couple good WC's afterwards over a couple weeks to be safe.

I personally predrill all screw holes and use the zinc coated/gold colored screws.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW my neighbor gave me one of those stands w/ tank like 17 or more years ago(He scrubbed tank w/ a sponge that had soap in it and killed everything and got PO"d and said take it outa his site!)
I cleaned it up and built canopy, it lasted years just fine, just don't make mods or alter it w/out knowing what you are doing.

OP
OP
DudeBruh

DudeBruh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW my neighbor gave me one of those stands w/ tank like 17 or more years ago(He scrubbed tank w/ a sponge that had soap in it and killed everything and got PO"d and said take it outa his site!)
I cleaned it up and built canopy, it lasted years just fine, just don't make mods or alter it w/out knowing what you are doing.

That looks good!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back