Making the switch

Caseyoidae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering switching to brs two part from two little fishes based solely on cost. Has anyone done this? Which brs alk component do I buy? The soda ash( sodium carbonate ) or the sodium Bi- carbonate? Current usage is about 11ml alk and 18 cal daily over 24hrs. Thanks!!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless the pH is too high now (unlikely), use the sodium carbonate version.

If you want to up the capability of the two part and make it truly two parts and not three, you might try Jim's modification:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/s...hould-i-expect-to-change.215171/#post-2466696
from it:

So, a True Two Part DIY can be created using the following recipe:

Part 1 - The Calcium and Magnesium Part
Dissolve 500 g of calcium chloride dihydrate plus 261.2 g of magnesium chloride hexahydrate in enough water to make a total volume of one gallon.

Part 2 - The Alkalinity and Sulfate Part
Dissolve 374.7 g of sodium carbonate (594 g of baking soda that has been baked) plus 68.7 g of sodium sulfate in enough water to make a total volume of one gallon.

This recipe is the same strength as Randy's Recipe #1. To make these two parts with the same strength as B-Ionic, then multiply the amounts of the salts by 1.5.

OP
OP
Caseyoidae

Caseyoidae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!! That's correct my ph low is 7.83 at night and high of 8.2 during daylight per apex probe. Just started reverse light cycle with chaeto and have not seen improvement yet but it's only been a month. I also totally forgot the mag!!!!!! Glad I asked the expert!!! Will I need to multiply by 1.5 to be same strength as two little fishes as well?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Caseyoidae

Caseyoidae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I ended up just ordering the entire brs two part kit. Still have a gallon of Julian's alk so I guess I'll use that up along with the new calcium. It may be good for me to dose in three parts because my mag is always sky high. Even after learning how to correctly do the test;)

RobertP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use BRS 2 part with soda ash and cannot complain. It mixes very quickly and easy to use. I was only dosing soda ash at night and calcium mix in the daytime. This was helping to boost my ph at night. However, a few weeks ago I switched to a 24 hour schedule and dose alk at the top of the hour and calc at the half hour. It has certainly kept the tank even more stable with fewer daily swings.
I am dosing about 55 ml of soda ash and 40 ml of calc each 24 hour period.

Oh and I do not have the magnesium on a doser because I am out of room under the tank! I just dose it manually every 2-4 weeks.

OP
OP
Caseyoidae

Caseyoidae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any reason not to use up the rest of my two little fishies alk component? I just received the "mother load" from brs with their mixing jugs, alk, cal and mag components. I'm planning to use up the old two little fishes alk along side brs calcium. Also planning to start dosing mag on its own pump rather than mixing a true 2part. My mag soars around 1600 ppm, should I just let it drop a tad before I continue dosing it? Thanks!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any reason not to use up the rest of my two little fishies alk component? I just received the "mother load" from brs with their mixing jugs, alk, cal and mag components. I'm planning to use up the old two little fishes alk along side brs calcium. Also planning to start dosing mag on its own pump rather than mixing a true 2part. My mag soars around 1600 ppm, should I just let it drop a tad before I continue dosing it? Thanks!

You sure it is really that high and not a testing error? Are you using the Red Sea kit?

It is fine to use the TLF alk part, but it won't be the same potency as the BRS product.

OP
OP
Caseyoidae

Caseyoidae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I am using the Red Sea.. I think I'm doing it right, what is the common error with this test? For a while I was doing all 5 drops at the same time lol

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I am using the Red Sea.. I think I'm doing it right, what is the common error with this test? For a while I was doing all 5 drops at the same time lol

I don't know what the "common error" is aside from readings that seem to not match other methods of testing. Soaring magnesium without dosing is either a salt mix problem, or test error. It cannot otherwise get to 1600 ppm.

Back