OP
OP
Salty.Reefer

Salty.Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck, IMO, I like the hanna for dkh and salifert brands bc they're accurate, fast, and easy. I really like the red sea calcium kit bc it seems to have the best color change but it does leave a calcium residue after each use just like their Magnesium kits. You have to use vinegar to clean them before using it again, which can become a chore. Dosing can take awhile to dial in but once you get it, everything will pretty much be on cruise control. More time to enjoy the tank, less time messing with it.
Thanks for the tip with the vinegar. I really liked my salifert calcium test kit but being under the influence caused me to put tank water into the test solution and not the test tube! lol hopefully the last time I do that.

OP
OP
Salty.Reefer

Salty.Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some cool zoas and a purple polyp green birds nest that I can't get a good photo of yet
IMG_1168.JPG
IMG_1167.JPG
IMG_1166.JPG
IMG_1165.JPG

OP
OP
Salty.Reefer

Salty.Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did some work on the tank today. Fragged some Zoas and placed the PP birdsnest. Ive had some frustrating problems recently. My original torch bit the dust quickly. Idk what happened. All of my parameter are good and I didn't move it so flow and lighting are probably out. I love torches so much but they all seem to die.
IMG_1169.JPG

My JF setosa has been loosing flesh slowly starting on its shaded side. I keep on thinking it would get better but didn't so I suspected Nudibranch. I dipped it and no nudis came off! Hardly anything alive did besides a brittle star.
IMG_1193.JPG

IMG_0155.JPG

IMG_1196.JPG

I also glued a little pice of meteor shower on my overflow. I think it will look good when it grows.
IMG_1195.JPG

I will try to get better pictures to brighten up this thread!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry to hear of your troubles!

OP
OP
Salty.Reefer

Salty.Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear of your troubles!
Thanks rev! It's alright I guess I'm not the most experienced reefer so every loss is a learning experience. The torch was never super healthy. I'll figure it out.

I glued my Jedi mind trick up higher as it was looking a little brown and was being shaded by the red cap.
IMG_1197.JPG

Also moved the green encrusting month. I cut the top off the pp birdsnest because I didn't like the way it looked.

IMG_1198.JPG

Not the best picture but this plate is starting to develop some color. It was originally basically all white with an orange rim.
IMG_1199.JPG

OP
OP
Salty.Reefer

Salty.Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so sick of power outages!!!!!
IMG_1210.JPG

Came home from the bar last night and the power was blown. Drunkenly started the generator and passed out. This morning generator was out of gas. Last night checked temp it was 77 this morning 76. I usually keep the tank high 78.

Before I went out my brother said what are those black things! Haha I didn't know but looks like some sort of polyclad. The two of them were just under and inch. Anyone have an idea about what they are?
IMG_1207.JPG
IMG_1208.JPG
IMG_1209.JPG

OP
OP
Salty.Reefer

Salty.Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for another picture update. My mobile home park hired a second company to resolve the power issues and I believe they have fixed it! The power would go off every time it rained or was even foggy but now we have been through two rain storms with no problem! This has made the coral a little happier but thats not to say the power outages took their fair share of my prized possessions :(.
Anyways here are some pics.
Refugium growth!
12/06/16
IMG_1039.JPG

1/14/17

FullSizeRender.jpg

Here is what I removed in a 5 gallon bucket.
IMG_1415.JPG

The sump is now filled with these red and white brittle stars and they are getting pretty big.
IMG_1443.JPG

I got more test kits and a Hana ULR Phosphorus.
IMG_1446.JPG

AND ARE YOU SERIOUS! IT COMES WITH 6 TESTS! WHY? It wasn't cheap and many places on the internet selling them for $96. I didn't pay that much but this is just crazy. 6!
IMG_1448.JPG

LAME! :mad::mad:
I still love salifert. I think they are my favorite for every test expect for alk. I like Hana the best for alk.
IMG_1447.JPG

Pictures of the tank!
FullSizeRender 4.jpg

FullSizeRender 2.jpg

IMG_1452.JPG

IMG_1450.JPG

After watching the most recent American Reef channel video with Sanjay I decided to take two Grandis off my main rock and just have them grow separately. Easier to deal with and they won't take over the rock. They are one of my favorites in the tank.
IMG_1451.JPG

IMG_1449.JPG

Does anyone know what these zoas are?
IMG_1454.JPG

FullSizeRender 3.jpg

FullSizeRender 4.jpg

glweek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested in knowing more about your lighting. How high off the water surface is it and what settings are you running. Ive got a 24x24x12 at the moment and having a hard time dialing my 360we in

OP
OP
Salty.Reefer

Salty.Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested in knowing more about your lighting. How high off the water surface is it and what settings are you running. Ive got a 24x24x12 at the moment and having a hard time dialing my 360we in

Thanks I thought I was having a hard time in the very beginning too. I got frustrated and just left my current setting on for a while. Things look a lot better but I may need to turn up the power a little because my zoas are reaching and one of my Millie's is brown.

My light is on 10 on the a series mounting arm so I think that's about 11.5/12 off the water.

IMG_1485189963.765729.jpg

The lights run for 12 hours
IMG_1485189972.117955.jpg

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 101 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 78 33.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 38 16.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.3%
Back