Malasian trumpet snails in my salt tank?!

PrimaryQwilfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have living Malasian trumpet snails in my tank that Im cycling with rock from a very low end brackish tank (1.003 sg). I thought the increase in salt (now 1.024 sg) would kill anything hidden in the rocks but one month later, I just spotted 3 snails climbing around in the dark. I guess they'll make a decent cleanup crew? Anyone have experience with this?

Saveafish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just about any aquatic life can slowly change to salt, If they live close to the outlet of the sea. Sharks has been known to swim miles up stream in fresh water rivers. Change the PH and DKH and slowly raise the salt levels and you can have salt water goldfish. Slowly is the key.

OP
OP
PrimaryQwilfish

PrimaryQwilfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just about any aquatic life can slowly change to salt, If they live close to the outlet of the sea. Sharks has been known to swim miles up stream in fresh water rivers. Change the PH and DKH and slowly raise the salt levels and you can have salt water goldfish. Slowly is the key.
Mmm I do appreciate your comment but I gotta say that is a stretch. I know invasive goldfish can travel through brackish water briefly, and sharks that do are bullsharks and an Australian genus but fish and most animals are typically adapted to a specific environment, FW vs SW fish even have different physiologies. They may survive briefly in a different system but to say anything can go from full fresh to salt is a stretch, even slowly.

In my snails case, they werent acclimated slowly either. I didn't know they were in the rock, so they went straight from nearly freah to full salt lol. I figured shock wouldve killed them. I do know Malasians are able to tolerate higher brackish levels so maybe they are euryhaline like mollies.

Ghost463

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tbo snails are almost an infestation in a freshwater tank. Unless bought of course.
I compair some small fw snails to cockroaches. Unfortunately i am not to savy with snail names.
I would want to insure they wont be a pest.

OP
OP
PrimaryQwilfish

PrimaryQwilfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tbo snails are almost an infestation in a freshwater tank. Unless bought of course.
I compair some small fw snails to cockroaches. Unfortunately i am not to savy with snail names.
I would want to insure they wont be a pest.
I keep Malasian trumpets in all my FW and B tanks as cleanup crew. They act just like Nasarrius snails, turning up sand and eatting algae. But Ive never known them to be successful in saltwater

OP
OP
PrimaryQwilfish

PrimaryQwilfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See!!! I am not crazy, here is one crawling around like its no big deal!!!
20190131_111004.jpeg

OP
OP
PrimaryQwilfish

PrimaryQwilfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what the heck... lol i always wanted an apple snail in reef lemme try acclimating one slowly...
I dont know much about apple snails but I'd do some research first! I found out Malasian trumpets live in estuaries that get up to 1.030 sg or more, so it surprisingly makes sense. They just arnt utilized in marine cause theyre brackish lol

Lingwendil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first saltwater setup was an AGA 2.5G tank that I converted over from freshwater, and since I wanted to continue to use the black sand that was in the tank I just left it in there. The tank was previously used for growing out German blue ram fry... I removed all the plants, rock, etc and added saltwater, along with some dry base rock. Within two days the trumpet snails that were in the sand began to emerge and cruise around the tank like nothing ever happened, and even survived the cycling of the tank. Those little suckers mowed down the diatoms during the cycle/bloom better than anything else I've ever kept, but they never seemed to really multiply like they did in freshwater, and slowly disappeared over the next year or so as other stuff was introduced to the tank.

science teacher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. When COVID hit, I had to bring my school classroom freshwater and saltwater critters home. I transferred my three clownfish, starfish and hermit crab out of my 90 gallon and put them into a 29 gallon nano cube. One rock out of my classroom tank (that only had elodea in it for my student’s labs) contaminated my home freshwater aquarium, but i didn’t mind as it is sparking clean. I even scrubbed and dried the rock, but thought—so be it. Now, 10 months later, I now have a snail identical to PrimaryQwilfishin my saltwater tank. Yes, i know it is bad to share gravel vacs and equipment. But, these times require desperate measures. I have not added any new life to my aquaria for over a year and a half/two years. Wild little guys, aren’t they!

Back