Mammoth Nano SPS Reef

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy is true to the reputation of a good grower so far. This pic is a month after the shot a few posts above.

ASD Rainbow
49566150211_e847dfe99a_h.jpg
not for me, mines pretty dormant. I have 3, one grows quickly, but I don't think it's a true ASD R, the other two are painfully slow..

OP
OP
Dugless

Dugless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not for me, mines pretty dormant. I have 3, one grows quickly, but I don't think it's a true ASD R, the other two are painfully slow..
Yeah, it is curious how some acros decide to grow at a nice clip and others just sit there. It is even more confusing when you clip a frag from a decent grower and it does absolutely nothing once glued up in the same system.

Pdash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of my top encrusters, almost montipora level reach. It's laughable how little the table growth is in comparison to the encrusted portion.

BC Bohemia
49495618312_94ae705739_h.jpg
I thought my bohemia looked cool...... I was wrong.

monti mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dugless your tank is inspiration! Thanks for sharing! Sorry if you’ve answered this question already but what camera are you using to take your pictures? They look amazing

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing color, great to see full potential of these coral. Where have your nutrients been after the chemiclean reset?

OP
OP
Dugless

Dugless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing color, great to see full potential of these coral. Where have your nutrients been after the chemiclean reset?
I’ve been running NO3 at 2-5ppm since installing a sulphur reactor late last summer. Before and after the need for chemiclean I was having a hard time getting NO3 down below 20ppm. I’m not sure the Real Reef rock has enough porosity to home the proper bacteria to process nitrate efficiently. Every system before I’ve had less than 1ppm with ocean rock, no problem.

I try to keep PO4 around .03-.07, if it dips too low I’ll dose some bottled phytoplankton. If it gets too high I utilize 1/2 cup of GFO in a reactor.

I keep an eye on the dust algae on the glass and observe the corals to tell me when I need to test for NO3 and PO4. I have a few canary corals that usually clue me into knowing the tank’s mood.

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s super helpful, thanks for the insight. It’s definitely something to slowly strive for, who wouldn’t want that color.

OP
OP
Dugless

Dugless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely looks like the Paletta. It’ll get much better with time. Absolutely blast it with par :) Here’s one of our grow outs on a 3” tile about to take off.

5938DFE6-B9FA-4D0A-B71D-2B3D23B97A0A.jpeg
Maybe that is part of the problem for me. I originally had it really low in the tank and just recently moved it up to a new location.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back